Custom made O-Zone Crash

David Floegel

Silver Member
Hello there!

I thought I should share this.

Recently, my 16" Zildjian K-Custom Dark Crash got a crack somewhere in the middle. I "stopped" it from cracking more by drilling 2 small holes at the end of the crack..
Of course, I thought, this won't last long so I thought what to do.

Actually, I always wanted to have one of these O-Zone Crashes as they offer a nice mix between crash and china but they're sooo expensive.

So I thought I should use my broken crash.

Here's a picture!

ozoneCrash.JPG

And here is a soundfile!
https://soundcloud.com/davidfloegel/custom-made-o-zone-crash-16

The other crash you hear is a normal 16" K-Custom Dark Crash so you got a nice comparrison :)

Enjoy

David

An APX Ozone is a big part of my cymbal setup. The problem is I break about one a year. They are the only cymbal I have ever broken, but I go through them pretty quickly. Hopefully that fact that it is a Zildjian K it will last longer, but all of that surface area just lends itself to cracking.

What did you use to drill out the holes? I have an old crash that I would like to do the same thing to.

An APX Ozone is a big part of my cymbal setup. The problem is I break about one a year. They are the only cymbal I have ever broken, but I go through them pretty quickly. Hopefully that fact that it is a Zildjian K it will last longer, but all of that surface area just lends itself to cracking.

What did you use to drill out the holes? I have an old crash that I would like to do the same thing to.

I do hope it lasts longer. As far as I know the "regular" O-Zone crashes are thinner as normal crashes? Or is it just my thinking?

For the drilling I used that one. Don't know what it's called in english :)
Price: 12€ from HSS which is a good brand I think.
You can get them in different sizes obviously and I think there are tools
you can adjust the size with so you don't need multiple drills for multiple sizes.

31dmMYbWCKL.jpg

You did a great job. The cymbal sounds fine in the mix.

From my experience - I did a smililar modification on a cheap crash and thus, got rid of a crack but drilled 3 holes instead of 4 - a couple holes don't have a significant effect on the overall sound. Do you notice any difference?

You did a great job. The cymbal sounds fine in the mix.

From my experience - I did a smililar modification on a cheap crash and thus, got rid of a crack but drilled 3 holes instead of 4 - a couple holes don't have a significant effect on the overall sound. Do you notice any difference?

Thx mate!

You mean if I noticed a difference between the number of holes?
I can't tell you - I started with 4 holes. I thought about doing 2 more but I think i'll stick with 4!

David, I meant the sonic difference between the non-modded/original version and the modded/O-Zoned version.

As for my modded crash - I never heard it in its original form but when that crash already had a crack. Adding a few holes didn't change much in level, slightly reduced the sustain but what it did was eliminating any sizzle from the crack of course.

Nice job with the drilling. That sounds sweet. It's trashy, but not overly so. It blends well.

I love ozones!!! In my experience, the holes lower the overall pitch. I have a 20" thin ride and a 16" ozone crash, and the 16 literally sounds like a much quieter version of the 20. Works really well when I wash ride on the 16 and use the 20 as my main crash, it's almost like sustaining the presence of the twenty until the next hit.

Cool stuff.

I have an o-zone type 18" modded off a Z Custom medium crash. The thickness of the crash keeps it from being too fragile, yet the fact that it's had so much mass knocked out makes it more responsive that your typical Z. I use it as a mixed crash and china-type effect for a lot of different applications.

Attachments

• 2012-06-24_20-09-14_203_web.jpg
    2012-06-24_20-09-14_203_web.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 198
I do hope it lasts longer. As far as I know the "regular" O-Zone crashes are thinner as normal crashes? Or is it just my thinking?

Not Sabian's, mostly. The AAX and Xs20 ones are medium-thin (IIRC). The HHX Evolutions are pretty thin, but so are the regular crashes. APXs and B8 Pros are also regular weight but they have so much cut out that they are fairly lighter than AAX/Xs20s. I don't remember Zildjian's K EFX weights but I know that their A Custom EFX seem to be a tad lighter than regular crashes. Meinl Byzance Vintage Trash Crashes are very thin, like the Vintage Crashes, and the Classics Custom Trash Crashes are a heavier weight, like the CC Crashes. Anyways, yours seems to be in the APX range with less holes- sounds great regardless!

Back