My new "homemade" stave shell kit with audio!

AronMapex

Hello everyone,

my dad has been building this kit for like a month now. He started building snares last autumn. Then I asked if he would make little 16" bass drum for me and he made that in december. Now in the end of january he started on the toms and finished them last week. The hardware on these mostly came of older wrecked drums that I bought for a guy. The floor tom has some old maxtone lugs but the tom and bass have premier cabria lugs. The floor tom is mounted with a Gibraltar tom suspension mount while the tom has a custom made aluminum rims mount (made by my dad).

So this kit is made from oak.

12x16" bass drum
12x14" floor tom
8x10" tom
The snare is 5x14" made by my dad, it's not a stave.

I love the sound of this kit.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,733
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,753
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,695
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,674
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,684
  • Sæta litla trommusett.mp3
    3.9 MB · Views: 2,003
That's so cool. Give your Dad a big hug and tell him how much you appreciate him. Then do something nice for him.

Very nice and very good sounding kit! It would have been even nicer with the same hardware on all drums, but that's a detail.

May I ask you what is your father's job? I've been thinking for a while about building some stave drums, but finally I had to admit that I lack technical know how and technical resources (machinery).

Outstanding job! That looks great! The sound is superb as well!

Maybe it's just the recording, but those sound "rounder" than yamaha oak do. I mean that in a good way, as in "fuller." Maybe "mellower."

Well done!

Snilldar sett, soundar mjög vel =) Djöfull væri ég til í að pabbi minn væri í þessum bransa, þar að segja að búa til trommur handa mér =)

Thanks everyone

May I ask you what is your father's job? I've been thinking for a while about building some stave drums, but finally I had to admit that I lack technical know how and technical resources (machinery).

My dad works in a office furniture factory here in Iceland, there he has a lot of machinery.

Ertu að nota dream cymbalinn í upptökuni? Er að fýla hann...

Sömu cymbalar eru á myndunum og á upptökunum ;)

14" Dream Energy hihat
16" Zildjian A custom crash
20" Dream Contact crash/ride

Elska soundið í Dream cymbölum.

Whoa, very cool. When most people say they "made" the drum, they mean someone else made the shell and they finished it with hardware. In this case, your dad really DID make the drum! Excellent work.

Yea I know, those people should say the assembled they're drums. I'm really proud that my dad made the shell, and also the bass drum hoops and the 10" tom mount :)

The Íslenska tungumál er the erfiður til læra.

Haha, thats cool, where did you learn that?

Is your dad a carpenter or somthing because that is one damn nice looking kit

Very cool and nice. Are they loud like the yamahas?

Is your dad a carpenter or somthing because that is one damn nice looking kit

Thanks, he is a carpenter yes.

Very cool and nice. Are they loud like the yamahas?

I wouldn't say they were really loud and I actually haven't heard the Yamaha Oak customs.
I'll say they have just enough sound.

what heads are they on them there drums?

I have on the bass Remo Fiberskin reso and Powerstroke 3 batter.
Toms: Ambassador Coated and Ambassador clears.
Snare: Emperor coated and Ambassador snare

that is a really nice set you have there man, the sound is superb as well. in the last few days I've grown to love stave drums, your lucky to have them, and props to your dad for making them. It's no easy task to do that.

hey, how did yall smooth them into the round shape? do you have a lathe?
where do you get the wood for the staves?

My dad did all the work, I actually don´t know how he smooth them into a round shape. But he got the wood from where he works, there are a lot of left-overs from some projects that are going to be thrown away, but he collects them instead.

Back