Drum Head Choices

madshark

I want to go out and get some new drum heads for my toms because i currently hate the sound im getting from the two sets i own ...

the two sets i own being the stock mapex remo heads and weatherking coated emperor.

Im really looking for that bwoingg sound from my toms if you get what i mean ... ive narrowed down my options to two choices.

1.Remo Powerstroke 3 clear
2.Remo Pinstripe clear

ive heard that the powerstrokes are the popular choice and easier to tune and get a great sound ... however id like some input from you guys before i go out and spend some cash because i dont have much of it floating around at the moment

thanks

M.S

The sound you are looking for is as much to do with tuning as it is head. don't forget to adjust the bottom head as much as the top head.

That being said, personnaly I have found pinstrips too dead, and ambassadors too thin but emporers just right (on toms anyway) you could try clear emps the coating makes a big difference.

Try one before you buy the set

thanks for the reply togg i have tried tunning the reso head equal and also tighter but still lacking that sound i really want ... the stock mapex remo heads have a very plasticy sound that really kills everything...

Hi,

I too like the clear Emperors. When you say BOINGY sound can you give us an idea or another drummers tom sound that you are trying to achieve.

As an example my 10" tom is tuned to a C both on top and bottom. It has just enough ring and also a nice punch.

I want to go out and get some new drum heads for my toms because i currently hate the sound im getting from the two sets i own ...

the two sets i own being the stock mapex remo heads and weatherking coated emperor.

Im really looking for that bwoingg sound from my toms if you get what i mean ... ive narrowed down my options to two choices.

1.Remo Powerstroke 3 clear
2.Remo Pinstripe clear

ive heard that the powerstrokes are the popular choice and easier to tune and get a great sound ... however id like some input from you guys before i go out and spend some cash because i dont have much of it floating around at the moment

thanks

M.S

First, the those stock heads are terrible. You are right to replace them.

I am a little unclear on what you are looking for. Your description sounds like you want a nice resonant tone. In that case I would avoid for the PS3 and the Pinstripe They are both muffled and dark sounding. In fact, other than for the kick drum, I can't recommend the PS3 for anything.

If you want warm and resonant, Coated Emperor or G2 batters and Clear Ambassadors or G1 on the reso side.

ok let me see

this guy has his toms somewhat like id like them ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWdLYybMT1o

and he apparently uses a powerstroke 3 ... does that mean im looking for a deeper sound im utterly confused now

also this guys talking about tunning the drum somewhat like what i want again :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOEboBhNwYU

the sound at around 2:38 is what im looking for maybe a little brighter... i wonder if this is completely a different sound to the other vid then ....

p.s : just found the sound i was thinking about when i posted : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=237AQAvXtw8

those look like Evans EC2's Coated, well its more frosting that a true coated head, but i believe thats what they are - just beware the mic'd drum, could be a very different sound on your kit... good hunting!

I too love the sound of a mic'd drumset as he has there... but recreating it without mic'in your drums has been a hard fought battle.... until today...

I bought some Remo Muff'ls which is basically an under-the-drum muffling system that lets you tune a quite a bit lower without a lot of unwanted overtones and still enables you to have outstanding stick definition and rebound off of your toms.

Right now because I haven't gone out to get new heads (Damn NYC area Weather) I am using them under Evans EC2's. Hopefully I will be able to switch out the heads and find a great set to go with the muff'ls...

But again... it is all personal preference with sound... but if you have an extra $20 lying around... check them out.

I have had good results with following heads on my own kits:

Clear Ambassors/ Evans G1 - A clean resonant tom with alot of attack
Clear G2 - A little more muted rounder tone with bright attack and good projection
Coated Ambassodors -a little warmer with less highs and good projection not as round as G2s
Pinstripe- A deep tone with more punch and less overtones less sustain and less projection
Fiberskins 3 FA - A very round resonant tone with less volume and less overtones not as much punch as pinstripes.

With I use depends on my mood. Which is good for you depends on what sound you are looking for.

I've heard alot on pinstripe bashing from people who praise the EC2's. In my opinion, the EC2s and Pinstripes are very close to each other in sound. If fact, I can't think of a head that is more like a pinstripe than an EC2. Pinstripes and EC2 are both quality heads and have there place, but if your playing gigs unmiked you may want to choose something else.

Btw, my opinion:
G1 almost the same as Ambassador
G2 almost the same as Emperor
EC2 almost the same as Pinstripe

Just listened to the 3 videos in your post
Based on those, I would say you should be leaning towards Pinstripes or EC2's

Wayne

It's all tuning related.
Tune your batter as low as it can go.
Tune your reso slightly higher, and there's is your boing sound.
BTW I'm assuming that boing means pitch bend with lots of sustain.

has anyone ever tried evans G1's over G1's? would it sound ok?

Last edited:
I too love the sound of a mic'd drumset as he has there... but recreating it without mic'in your drums has been a hard fought battle.... until today...

I bought some Remo Muff'ls which is basically an under-the-drum muffling system that lets you tune a quite a bit lower without a lot of unwanted overtones and still enables you to have outstanding stick definition and rebound off of your toms.

Right now because I haven't gone out to get new heads (Damn NYC area Weather) I am using them under Evans EC2's. Hopefully I will be able to switch out the heads and find a great set to go with the muff'ls...

But again... it is all personal preference with sound... but if you have an extra $20 lying around... check them out.

If you are using Remo Muffls http://www.remo.com/portal/products/2/599/607/dh_muffl_ring.html I don't see how you are getting any sound at all and your using them with EC 2's ???

thanks much for all the input guys its all been very helpful

just wandering if anyone's had any experience with AQUARIAN SUPER 2 CLEARs on the toms ?

My Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz set came with a set of Evan's G1s as the batters. They sound ok, but I have the overhead tom and the floor tom tuned very low without much bounce on the head. I was told that the Remo Fiberskyns are good for this set. Will I be able to get a better sound with some bounce to the heads if I use the Fiberskyns?

Also what would changing the rims to a Die-cast or a wooden rim do for the sound? Is the Gretch Jazz set good enough in the roundness to accept these rims?

Evolving_Machine

Back