Fighting in Hockey: In or Out

Bruce M. Thomson

Gold Member
OK, put your 2 cents in, it is being discussed a little more seriously now and I thought perhaps there might be a few opinions out there. For myself I say out, change the built in, old fashioned culture that has been the same old fall back excuse for ever.

Other wise we might as well start up the Rollerball league now. (Norman Jewison movie)

Out..Make room on the roster for another skill player and get rid of the goons. Every team has one. Olympic and College hockey seem to get along OK without it.

Well...

It's like the old saying, "I went to the fights the other night and a hockey game broke out".

But, I gotta say...IN! It adds to the thrills of watching grown men skate around on ice with sticks in their hands, trying to put a hard rubber flattened-round object into a goal that's protected by a large human being. All the while trying to run an opposing teams' player into the wall, or using the stick as a way to disrupt the flow of said opposing players' momentum whether they have control of said flattened-round object or not.

And also, the occasional use of said stick as a way to injure said opposing player intentionally or not.

P.S. Go Caps!!!

;-)

In, fighting is allowed in hockey so that the players know they will face retribution if they try to cheap shot another player.you can cheap shot all you want, but you better have the guts to fight, because you will be challenged.

Most fights last 15 - 20 seconds with helmets on. Nobody wins, they fall on the ice or dance around and waste time. I have MMA if I want to watch real fights. I want to see skill.

Are you kidding? Getting rid of fighting would suck! The sport isn't all about fighting. There aren't fights in every game. They are short anyway. Every team needs an enforcer (or two) to keep people from doing stupid things. Hockey is an awesome game to watch, the prospect of seeing a fight is just one of the things that keeps the game as unpredictable as it is.

I have never really watched a full game of hockey but I would say IN! It makes it fuch more of a better sport. Whats football (soccer) without the occasional bit if fisticuffs? lol

Even with enforcers, there is still high sticking, boarding, charging, slashing, tripping, cross checking. They enforce and deter nothing. Most of the fights stem from a goon who decides it's his business to get "even" with a player that gets a good, legal shot on somebody. That person is embarrassed he got knocked on his butt so the goon takes over. If you get blasted, man up and blast back. Don't wimp out and let a goon do it for you. And you agreed with me that they are short anyway. Short, pointless, and a waste of time. Beat me with finesse or get off of the ice.

Yeah, but there's a size difference too. Not everyone can hit, or throw their weight around... The finesse players don't really get their hands dirty like that. Look at Datsyuk for example. Its hard to even touch the guy!

IN.

Fighting is a huge part of hockey. Its a way to swing momentum in the game and generate frustration for the other team.

taking fights out of hockey would completely ruin the game imo. and i also don't believe its going to happen

on a side note there are no goons on a hockey team, you might have an enforcer, but that guy can still play hockey. its not like all he knows how to do is check and fight.

Well whatever you call em', they are a necessary evil... An exciting, necessary evil...

I grew up at the tail end of the bench brawl era and I miss seeing them. Maybe it's the fact I'm Canadian that I'm for fighting or maybe I just enjoy watching it. It can't be denied that when a fight starts the arenas go nuts. It is a crowd pleaser and definitely wakes the fans in a quiet building. I'm sure no one at home turns off their sets either. It will be a sad day if they ever take it out. The highsticking and cheap shots are a result of too much equipment and an overall lack of respect in players now. The game still needs so-called "goons" to police the league. If Ulf Samuelon had got his ass kicked a few times he may not have ended so many careers with his cheap shots. Some of these guys that stick out their knee might think twice next time if someone came in and beat the crap out of them. If anything there should be more fighting and there maybe a little more respect among players. Remember Gretzky had his protectors and no one touched him until later in his career when they took his "goons" away.

guys we gotta keep it in the game its exciting for the fans and the players, and besides im a leafs fan so i dont really gets the see championships or multible goal nights so let us have some form of excitment.

PS Next year were winning the CUP

In, fighting is allowed in hockey so that the players know they will face retribution if they try to cheap shot another player.you can cheap shot all you want, but you better have the guts to fight, because you will be challenged.

Todd Bertuzzi, anyone?

And to GD's list, I think that type of enforcer is dieing, you still have a few unskilled goons, Brashear Laraque, but there of plenty of skilled enforcers also, take two guys from my favorite team the Bruins. Milan Lucic and Shawn Thornton.

You have to admit there are way less goons in this post lockout era and they're on their way out. Even without these goons, it's a physical game and nothing's going to change that. Fights break out as soon as you're old enough to play full contact, it's the nature of the game.

Besides there are far worse things to worry about. Like head shots, and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IZdjNkUFvg

Long live Tie Domi!

You have to admit there are way less goons in this post lockout era and they're on their way out. Even without these goons, it's a physical game and nothing's going to change that. Fights break out as soon as you're old enough to play full contact, it's the nature of the game.

Besides there are far worse things to worry about. Like head shots, and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IZdjNkUFvg

Long live Tie Domi!

Absolutely!

When Zednick got his carotid artery slashed by that skate...it was probably THE most serious injury in NHL history.

WOW, that was horrible. I'll never forget that, man!

Uhhh....

Also, without fighting, how else would people get to routinely beat the s*** out of Sydney Crosby? I mean c'mon, That dude needs to get slapped as often as possible!

Back