Is it me or are the new Evans 360 G2 Coated heads sounding thinner?

I've tried all kinds of tuning with my toms but I am not feeling these so far. Not sure if it's all just in my head! LOL

I bought some 360 G2 coated and G1 for my old Stage Custom Standards after talking to the Yamaha customer service guy. That quote about sums it up right there. I tried about everything- higher overall, lower overall, with reso high, reso low, reso unison- and decided it must be a combination of me and those drums, since I wasn't having trouble with other drums. I will leave them on and sell them, and figure out what to put on my new Sonors...

I'm currently using Evans Hydraulics on my set and they sound great. I have also used remo and they didn't give my set the sound they have now. Having said that, I have used some g2 heads and wasn't totally thrilled about them. I think its in a lot of ways also about how you like to tune and the sound you expect out of your drums.

I'm currently using Evans Hydraulics on my set and they sound great. I have also used remo and they didn't give my set the sound they have now. Having said that, I have used some g2 heads and wasn't totally thrilled about them. I think its in a lot of ways also about how you like to tune and the sound you expect out of your drums.

I've never tried the hydraulics before. How would you describe their sound and feel?

super job on that vid... it really highlights everything well, and the playing is consistent and short enough to hear the differences easily

now you need to do the other brands : )

cheers davezedlee appreciate that! i guess i'll try to find some time to negotiate a bit of studio time and some heads to try - im really interested in aquarian because i've not had the best experience before.. like to give them a shot.

I guess I have just had good luck with Evans. I had one issue with my puresound snare wires that they are sorting out now - that aside no issues.

I am not an endorsed guy (yet) so it's not like I have a bias. Anyone who is working their gear will at some point run into issues. For example my Iron Cobra pedal was rendered useless by a screw that cost pennies.

It's not just you, I bought some clear G14's and while they tune up fine they sound papery like a clear Remo Ambassador.

I have a new Mapex Meridian Maple kit coming any day now and I bought a pack of 360 G2 clears that I'm going to put on the toms. I've never played Evans heads on my toms before. I've used them on my snares and liked them. My first maple kit as well so we'll see how they sound.

I don't know about these heads sounding thin....I haven't experienced that. But I do wonder if they changed the coating on the coated heads. One particular brand new coated G2 head on one of my snares sounds kind of dead, like the coating is too thick or something.

I don't know about these heads sounding thin....I haven't experienced that. But I do wonder if they changed the coating on the coated heads. One particular brand new coated G2 head on one of my snares sounds kind of dead, like the coating is too thick or something.
We haven't changed anything with the coating in at least 18 months. What are you using for comparison (in terms of the sound of the G2 on your snare)? How high are you tuning it?

Basically the same problem I and many other have had. Unfortunately most inexperienced drummers blame it on their tuning abilities not knowing any better. It really doesn't sound probable until it becomes a very real and personal problem with some of their drum heads.

Dennis

Basically the same problem I and many other have had. Unfortunately most inexperienced drummers blame it on their tuning abilities not knowing any better. It really doesn't sound probable until it becomes a very real and personal problem with some of their drum heads.

Dennis

Yes and no. I'm always amazed by the point of reference that some people use when judging heads. I've literally had people comparing Hydraulics to G1s before. In order to determine what the issue is (if any at all), I need to better understand where someone is coming from with their descriptions. Since drum sounds tend to be quite subjective and qualitative, it takes a bit more digging to get the right info. That being said, I'm not throwing on the possibility of an issue, just doing my best to diagnose it.

We haven't changed anything with the coating in at least 18 months. What are you using for comparison (in terms of the sound of the G2 on your snare)? How high are you tuning it?

I'm comparing them to all my other snares, which are a mix of Coated Emps and coated G2's. I tune all my snares basically the same, tight reso, tight batter, tight snare wires for a gunshot type sound. What I really need to do is swap heads with a snare that has a newer Evans head that doesn't sound dead. I will try and do that, so I can troubleshoot if it is the head or if it's my drum.

Back