The circle of life of a band member...very funny

MaryO

Platinum Member
My boyfriend, a bass player in many a basement bands himself found this article today. I thought some of you lifelong musicians might get a kick out of this.

I'm wondering what this says about me who is just starting the whole process at 43....guess I'm a late bloomer and have a lot to look forward to in my later years...lol.

Not meant to offend anyone...just a little fun. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2011/03/03/being-in-a-band-is-for-losers-scientific-proof/

That was.....

About the most truthful, accurate summation of the situation in the majority of cases.

I like the "we're all cool with our blue jeans and cowboy hats" photo. It's either that or the railroad tracks view.

Dang! That's hurtful, but true in most cases. I know a few 40-50-somethings that fit that bill perfectly. But, I also know PLENTY that are making it happen as a profession, and not just being "that guy still in a band". When you're 50 and pulling in 6 figures as a musician, have a family, a nice house, and a stable retirement coming, I'd say you're way above the curve...

When you're 50 and pulling in 6 figures as a musician, have a family, a nice house, and a stable retirement coming, I'd say you're way above the curve...

Yeah, but that is quite the exception, isn't it?..

I didn't laugh a lot with the article, actually I found it quite depressing, as it unfortunately is very true. I know a lot of guys who are pushing 40's and working on the record store making pennies an hour and still thinking they're yet to be "discovered".

It's very sad.

Cheers.

Dang! That's hurtful, but true in most cases. I know a few 40-50-somethings that fit that bill perfectly. But, I also know PLENTY that are making it happen as a profession, and not just being "that guy still in a band". When you're 50 and pulling in 6 figures as a musician, have a family, a nice house, and a stable retirement coming, I'd say you're way above the curve...

......is that you, Caddy?

The 'Regular Guy' in that article usually experiences an epiphany at around age 40 and then scrambles to find out where his life went.

Atleast the 'Band Guy' chased a dream that involved creating music for the rest of the world to enjoy.

If making music for others to enjoy makes one a loser, then I am left without a clue as to what a winner is. If it is the lack of money that makes them losers, then the winners would be the most wealthy people on the planet, right? The most wealthy persons in the world got their money from the blood of the people.

I am a loser.

The 'Regular Guy' in that article usually experiences an epiphany at around age 40 and then scrambles to find out where his life went.

Atleast the 'Band Guy' chased a dream that involved creating music for the rest of the world to enjoy.

If making music for others to enjoy makes one a loser, then I am left without a clue as to what a winner is. If it is the lack of money that makes them losers, then the winners would be the most wealthy people on the planet, right? The most wealthy persons in the world got their money from the blood of the people.

I am a loser.

Is that why I'm shopping around for a fire-engine red corvette? ;)

Awesome! I always thought Al Bundy was one of the coolest guys ever! Glad to be lumped in with the likes of him! (I'm 43 too and am in two bands at the moment...)

......is that you, Caddy?

No, I'm the 31-year-old working my way towards that, though. It's good to set goals, and to know people who have gone before you and made it happen for themselves!

It's a good thing the article is called, "The Circle of Life of a Band Member", because if it was "The Circle of Life of a Professional Musician", I'd have issue with it...

No, I'm the 31-year-old working my way towards that, though. It's good to set goals, and to know people who have gone before you and made it happen for themselves!

It's a good thing the article is called, "The Circle of Life of a Band Member", because if it was "The Circle of Life of a Professional Musician", I'd have issue with it...

Well, professional musicians have to play in bands in order to be professional musicians, so this article can be for those guys too.....sorry....sorry....sorry.... ;)

I really hope none of you think I was trying to make anyone feel like a loser. This really was posted with tongue firmly implanted in cheek. No offense meant, really. I personally think anyone brave enuf to actually try and follow their dreams, no matter what the outcome, is more of a winner than someone who is "successful" in something they would rather not be doing. :)

Again, this is why I'm very bravely (or blindly) starting my journey at 43...lol.

I really hope none of you think I was trying to make anyone feel like a loser. This really was posted with tongue firmly implanted in cheek. No offense meant, really. I personally think anyone brave enuf to actually try and follow their dreams, no matter what the outcome, is more of a winner than someone who is "successful" in something they would rather not be doing. :)

No bad feelings here. I thought the article was funny 'cause it is mostly true. :D

Again, this is why I'm very bravely (or blindly) starting my journey at 43...lol.

And I wish you the best of luck! There are several professional musicians on this site, so it can be a great resource for you, if you choose to use it.

Well, professional musicians have to play in bands in order to be professional musicians, so this article can be for those guys too.....sorry....sorry....sorry.... ;)

I'll get you, JETSOOOOOOOOON!!!!! (BTW, I liked yer previous avatar a little better...)

Part of me laughed, because, yeah, I know plenty of people who fit either category.

Go down to Hollywood, and there are a ton of guys who are still thinking any day now they're going to get signed to that million dollar record deal, even though they're 45.

But still, a larger part of me was offended, because I find most musicians are somewhere in the middle of those two extremes and the article just seemed to want to promote stereotypes.

Hey everyone, new here. Saw the title of this thread and it struck my fancy.. the article is indeed very funny :D I know a couple of people that financially and practically fit the bill, though, and it is very sad. But they are not delusional about it ;)

The one thing I am terrified of is having kids. Not having them, per se, since I want to in a few years, but being able to raise them with a decent life in terms of financial security, and being able to send them to college or university. Otherwise, I don't have the yearning for big money, just basic comfort. If I could pull that off and still have my music... I'd be ecstatic. I still have no college degree, and work odd jobs here and there... so I can see my future being as bleak as the article describes; obviously, the prospect of making a living out of music or any of the arts is miniscule to say the least. Hello, accounting! Or something else as fortunately stable and unfortunately miserable.

Back