Yamaha DTXtreme III Standard Kit

spides666

Well I managed to pick one of these up for $3000 Aus and I have to say just plugging in I am pretty blown away by the quality of say the Oak Custom and Birch kits.......I've straight DI'd into my MBOX2 and recorded in Pro tools and the quality is pretty astounding......Iv'e had a TD-8K and TD-10 EXP V Drum kits and this Yamaha really kills them.

I guess this is the rival to the TD-12, some nigels but I'd say the Yamaha pips the post......

By the way niggles has two gs. I only state this as I have a brother could Nigel and so Nigels has a different resonance with me!

Good for you, your new purchase will be excellent I'm sure. I have a TD12 and so we could trade mine's-better-than-yours banter, but that's not my style.

Enjoy. I'm a big fan of e-drums even though many in these parts are not.

Peace
Davo

Sorry meant to put two 'g''s but you'll get over it..........was once a fellow Londoner myself but saw the light and headed for the Sun.

Ironically I think the Module is easier to customise on the TD-12 but sound wise personally I think the Yamaha's are better

But I guess it's what you want it for, if it's for at home and practising etc then it's not worth comparing.

I am recording so I wanted the better sound, well better in my opinion.....

I think Roland kits are excellent, but TD-9 and beyond they are a bit pricey....

Sorry meant to put two 'g''s but you'll get over it..........was once a fellow Londoner myself but saw the light and headed for the Sun.

Ironically I think the Module is easier to customise on the TD-12 but sound wise personally I think the Yamaha's are better

But I guess it's what you want it for, if it's for at home and practising etc then it's not worth comparing.

I am recording so I wanted the better sound, well better in my opinion.....

I think Roland kits are excellent, but TD-9 and beyond they are a bit pricey....

As a former Roland e-kit user... I have to agree with you....the III module is the best sounding module out there currently IMO...here's some pics of my kit

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

gorgeous, how much have you paid for it?

Hard to say, since I've bought and sold some of the older components to upgrade to newer style cymbals, hex rack, module, etc...but if I had to guess I think it would be somewhere in the $4200-$4500 range, give or take a little...BTW...the kit now has 9 RHP pads & 6 cymbals..:)

Last edited:
Scorch that looks amazing......only disappointment for me is Roland have many customized drum kits with vexpressions but it's very thin on the ground for DTX user, I know there is dtxperience but is that it??

Having said that though since I bought the kit second hand I've had issues with the kick. It is doing intermittent triggering, sometimes soft then loud..........guy says it may take several hundred dollars to get this fixed as he has said he can't see a problem with the sensor itself!!

This has annoyed me to no end.........the kit is just over a year old!! But is out of warranty

Scorch that looks amazing......only disappointment for me is Roland have many customized drum kits with vexpressions but it's very thin on the ground for DTX user, I know there is dtxperience but is that it??

Have you built any user kits?...I've built 24 so far.....I had a td-10exp. (w/ all the vex kits offered) module with this kit before I bought the III module. I considered the td-20 also before settling on the III module, but I really do think the III has better sounds and features (i.e., editing, effects, etc..) than any of the current modules available...and as far vex goes, they are nice to have, but you can do the same thing yourself, just by learning the module and editing/building kits yourself. As far your kick goes, more than likely there is nothing wrong with the sensor, it is probably a problem with the foam used inside the kick in the beater area. There is a thread (link attached below) over on edrumforum (by alviswesley) on how to replace the foam inside your model kick, which hopefully should fix your problem...BTW, If your interested, I can share my user kits I've built...just let me know...:)

http://edrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=562&highlight=kick

Last edited:
Back