A weakness discovered in the Evans EC Reverse Dot

intheruff

So there I am, banging away thru a series of rudiments. The temp in the 'studio' (shop) is five degrees and its another bitter day with heavy snow piling up high in the yard. When suddenly I notice the head's dot (which is on the inside of the snare head) detach from the head and float away, dissappearing within the drums metalic interior. Me thinks, 'Wow, never lost a dot before'. A week later, the temps still in the single digits, I notice that the EC (edge control) strips, which are also attached to the heads interior, are also beginning to detach from the drumhead. Whats this? me thinks again. Now, before going any further I want to say this is a great sounding head. I like it a lot! But, I can't afford to have the head falling apart like this... sooo, back to the pinstripes? So, comes another day and another practice, when I next discover that the beater pad has detached from the bass head, and is laying there worthless on the floor while my double beaters thrash without resistance against the Evans Emad. Hmmm, whats up???
Now, I don't know for sure, but I suspect whacking these components in the extreme cold has for whatever reason caused the adhesive to fail and thus end up with the detachment of said dot and pad. Unless I learn otherwise, I'll replace the Evans EC reverse dot in the spring and when next winter arrives I'll replace the head with a weather king, seems more fitting that way. Either that or get my lazy ass up and build a fire in the wood heater!

Those temps ARE NOT good on your drums, that's hard on the wood and can damage them. Not too mention as you've already discovered it's really bad on your heads!!!

Those temps ARE NOT good on your drums, that's hard on the wood and can damage them. Not too mention as you've already discovered it's really bad on your heads!!!

Yeah, the "weakness" in the head would be the least of my worries

'Are you playing with a snowmobile / winter suit ???'

Acually, a pair of levi's with long johns and a long sleeve wool shirt with a down vest works great, I still build up a bit of a sweat. Those temps aren't common, but when we get them they're hardest on the finger tips... believe me.

'Those temps ARE NOT good on your drums, that's hard on the wood and can damage them'

I believe it, but the cabins not big enough for the set. I play Tama Imperial Stars (bot em' in 80) and they've seemed to hold up just fine, very heavy duty. They've been set up out there for fifteen years, haha. If they fall apart I'll just get me a new set. P.S., I'm adding on a studio to the house. OhYEah!!

I'm faced with keeping my set in an un-heated garage.................I have to plan to play so that I can get the temp up a bit. I don't play my set until I get the temp above 40 degreesF or so. As tight as my snare head is..............I'd probably crush it in one blow if it were only 5 degrees. The extremely cold temps are tough on adhesives.

That head must be as brittle as can be at 5 degrees. I wouldn't even be hitting my drums in that temp. I'm not sure I would even let my drums sit in 5 degree weather and I'm not sure that's a weakness in the head that I would be writing Evans about. Also I think the Weatherking label came from being water proof not freeze proof. Maybe write Zip Loc Freezer Bag company and see if they can make you some winter heads.

Back