Sonor 3007 Autumn Fade.

Tyger

I just got this kit the other day for a decent price along with some drum cases, cymbals and some other accessories. I was playing a early model Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage for awhile and I wasn't really planning on getting a new kit until later next year. As mentioend it was such a great deal that I jumped on this kit.

My old kit is going to be sold on friday and the cymbals that came with the kit as well, so all in all when everything sells the kit cost me around $200. On top of that the guy threw in a Vintage 60-70's Zildjian Avedis Ride that I quite like and works well with my Paiste Twenty's. Also the kit came with a Pearl 13x3 Piccolo snare. I must say the stock snare is pretty good!

Finish: Autumn Fade
Kick 20"
Toms 10, 12, 14 Floor tom
Snare Black Panther Steel
All Original Hardware

Attachments

• bev3.jpg
    bev3.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 3,645
  • 3007SN-1.jpg
    3007SN-1.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 3,191
  • 3007SN-2.jpg
    3007SN-2.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 2,975
  • 3007SN-3.jpg
    3007SN-3.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 4,616
  • 3007SN-4.jpg
    3007SN-4.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 2,840
  • 3007SN-5.jpg
    3007SN-5.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 3,122
Last edited:
Great finish! Interesting tom setup, I like it!

From looking at your cymbals, I'm going to guess your a Mike Johnston fan.... :D

How are you finding those Aquarian heads?

-Jonathan

Great finish! Interesting tom setup, I like it!

From looking at your cymbals, I'm going to guess your a Mike Johnston fan.... :D

How are you finding those Aquarian heads?

-Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan! The only other finish I would have preferred was the Amber fade, but I liked this one as well.

I just started using this Tom set up after fiddling around with so many configurations. I found mounting the 12" tom "traditionally" I was reaching out for them a little too much. This set up allows me to move easily between toms and still have the ride where I like it. I don't like having my ride off to the side. I'm probably going to mount the toms off the bass drum eventually but I will still keep the positioning. It's quite comfy!

As for the cymbals, yes, I was pointed towards one of his youtube vids and loved the sound right away. Now I'm one of his online students. He's switched to Meinl now, but I still love Paiste.

I just got the Super 2's today and I tell you, it was the sound I was looking for. Similar to Remo emperors but just slightly different, can really explain. They sound great on this kit!

The "low end" Sonor drums are consistently some of the best sounding toms I've played. Sonor does a great job from shells, to finishes, to hardware. You got a killer deal. I'm always happy to sit behind a Sonor kit. I like those dimensions. Great looking finish too!

cheers Garvin. I was quite surprised how low I could get the 14" Floor tom to tune, eventually I'd like a 16" but the 14 can hold it's own. I'm really diggin this kit!

cheers Garvin. I was quite surprised how low I could get the 14" Floor tom to tune, eventually I'd like a 16" but the 14 can hold it's own. I'm really diggin this kit!

I got my 3007 two weeks ago:

22 kick
10, 12, 16 tom
14.5 snare (I think)

I just put Coated Emperors on them, sound great. The 10 tom is very easy to tune, and the floor tom and bass go BOOM. Gonna switch to Clear Emperors for looks after these wear out.

I got my 3007 two weeks ago:

22 kick
10, 12, 16 tom
14.5 snare (I think)

I just put Coated Emperors on them, sound great. The 10 tom is very easy to tune, and the floor tom and bass go BOOM. Gonna switch to Clear Emperors for looks after these wear out.

Awesome! which finish did you get? I would highly recommend Aquarian Super 2's coated or clear...awesome heads!

I'm hoping to find a 16" Floor tom to complete a 2 up 2 down set up. Might be a challenge finding the same finish.

Yeah when you play on a Sonor it's really hard to quit them. So awesome sounding kit for the money.

Nice! I have the same finish on my Select Force Jungle Kit.

By the way, what's the diff between the 3007 and Select Force series? I've tried identifying on the Sonor site but can't tell.

By the way, what's the diff between the 3007 and Select Force series? I've tried identifying on the Sonor site but can't tell.

The shell thickness is slightly different from the 3007:

7 layers for bass drums
= 7.2 mm
2.4 mm Canadian maple
+ 2.4 mm Chinese maple
+ 2.4 mm Canadian maple

7 layers for snare drums, tom toms and floor toms
= 5.8 mm
1.7 mm Canadian maple
+ 2.4 mm Chinese maple
+ 1.7 mm Canadian maple

And they change a little a suspension system.

If you want an upgrade go for the Ascent.

The shell thickness is slightly different from the 3007:

7 layers for bass drums
= 7.2 mm
2.4 mm Canadian maple
+ 2.4 mm Chinese maple
+ 2.4 mm Canadian maple

7 layers for snare drums, tom toms and floor toms
= 5.8 mm
1.7 mm Canadian maple
+ 2.4 mm Chinese maple
+ 1.7 mm Canadian maple

And they change a little a suspension system.

If you want an upgrade go for the Ascent.

Thank you for the info. Ascents are nice to be sure but my next and probably last kit will be a Gretsch USA Custom.

I only purchased the Jungle kit as it was money used from proceeds from selling a mid-1980's Sonor Signature Bubinga snare and pocketed enough to re-head the entire set.

Figured it'd make a great practice kit outside the house though it has held up well during the gigs too.

Very nice, my 1st kit was a 3001 I believe and I miss it. Very interesting tom angle, I may try that. Looks like your cowbell is very close to the crash but it may be the angle of camera. Also that bass hoop rash makes me kind of nauseous. Congrats thats a beauty

I've always loved those Sonor 3007s. Congrats on the nice kit. I agree that for mid-level priced drums they definitely hold their own against alot of high-end kits. I was even surprised at how versatile the 3007 maple snare was - that was the first wood snare that I really liked (I had a Sonor 3007 studio kit in white sparkle last summer) and it can handle alot of different tunings and sounds. I understand now, though, that Sonor has discontinued these, true? I think that's a bad move. Enjoy your new drums!

Yeah when you play on a Sonor it's really hard to quit them. So awesome sounding kit for the money.

Absolutely agree, I actually heard the new Sonor Select force in the store a couple weeks ago. I started doing some research and found that the 3007's were very similar.

Cool with a 18" kick? As for the differences I believe it's been answered previously!

Thank you for the info. Ascents are nice to be sure but my next and probably last kit will be a Gretsch USA Custom.

I only purchased the Jungle kit as it was money used from proceeds from selling a mid-1980's Sonor Signature Bubinga snare and pocketed enough to re-head the entire set.

Figured it'd make a great practice kit outside the house though it has held up well during the gigs too.

I was actually eyeing a Gretsch Renown or DW Performance series, but realistically its too much for me at the moment and I'm still learning. one day though, one day :)

Very nice, my 1st kit was a 3001 I believe and I miss it. Very interesting tom angle, I may try that. Looks like your cowbell is very close to the crash but it may be the angle of camera. Also that bass hoop rash makes me kind of nauseous. Congrats thats a beauty

Thanks, The tom angle thing I mentioned above. You are right about the cowbell, I didn't bother adjusting it in all my excitement....hahaha! As for the rash, yeah that was the only downside of the kit, there are two areas with pretty bad rash and normally the pedal would cover one of them but again in my excitement to put on the new heads I didn't even think about it at the time. All is well now as I've adjusted it :)

I've always loved those Sonor 3007s. Congrats on the nice kit. I agree that for mid-level priced drums they definitely hold their own against alot of high-end kits. I was even surprised at how versatile the 3007 maple snare was - that was the first wood snare that I really liked (I had a Sonor 3007 studio kit in white sparkle last summer) and it can handle alot of different tunings and sounds. I understand now, though, that Sonor has discontinued these, true? I think that's a bad move. Enjoy your new drums!

Bo, as I researched the 3007's I found a few threads that you started and some youtube videos :) As you know from previous questions I had for you, I trusted your opinion and you were dead on about everything you said, especially the snare. I really like the sound of it as well, just need a new head. Now I have the option to go 14 x 6, 14 x 5.5, 13 x 3, or combine any of the two.

Sonor has discontinued them but they've been replaced by the Select Force Series almost the same drum, slight difference in shell thickness as mentioned by max

Nice, Nice, Very Nice!

Thank you sir!

Bo, as I researched the 3007's I found a few threads that you started and some youtube videos :) As you know from previous questions I had for you, I trusted your opinion and you were dead on about everything you said, especially the snare. I really like the sound of it as well, just need a new head. Now I have the option to go 14 x 6, 14 x 5.5, 13 x 3, or combine any of the two.

Sonor has discontinued them but they've been replaced by the Select Force Series almost the same drum, slight difference in shell thickness as mentioned by max

Thank you sir!

I totally forgot about you asking! I do appreciate you at least considering my advice, let alone taking it! I'm glad it worked out. Part of me misses owning them because they were just so versatile, but when the Starclassic Bubinga Elites call your name, I had to answer that!

Cool with a 18" kick? As for the differences I believe it's been answered previously!

I was actually eyeing a Gretsch Renown or DW Performance series, but realistically its too much for me at the moment and I'm still learning. one day though, one day :)

The kick on the Jungle Kit is 16". It works very well.

Yeah, the price tag on the Gretsch's are steep, but for me, if I must have that specific sound, the tag is worth it. Besides, I try talking myself into believing that by only wanting 3 USA Custom drums (classic bop sizes) , I'm minimizing the financial impact....

I'm really not a person who purchases much gear (though my cymbal transactions from this year might indicate otherwise), it's most likely the last drums I'll ever purchase.

Very nice drums Tyger, I too play Yamaha SCN - and I believe the only company to tempt me away would be Sonor.

Also I like the look of your tom set up- I'm always changing and messing with my tom placement, never tried this though. Will definately have to give it a go tomorrow and see how it flows

thanks!

Very nice drums Tyger, I too play Yamaha SCN - and I believe the only company to tempt me away would be Sonor.

Also I like the look of your tom set up- I'm always changing and messing with my tom placement, never tried this though. Will definately have to give it a go tomorrow and see how it flows

thanks!

I already miss the kit, but honestly this one is perfect for me and I'm pleased with it every little bit. Yamaha makes some killer drums and I almost got the Tour custom, but saw this and I couldn't refuse.

I've messed with my tom set up so many times and I probably still will, however this configuration has given me the most comfort and ease of playing. It's great! Let me know how you like it. It's not the norm but I can see it catching on.

The only downside to this set up would be if you are recording. The 12" Tom being so close to the bass drum will catch more resonance than normal.

Sonor really do make some of the best ply drums out there. If I were gigging every day I would feel utterly confident in a 'Force' set like your set performing day after day, year after year. They are very fine drums and I came very close a few years ago to buying a 3003 set. At the time, it was just a little too expensive and I was still at school so I couldn't justify it. I don't regret it hugely but had I had a real opportunity to buy the 3003, I would have.

I love my Tamburo Ash kit but the hardware just isn't as good as the Force series kits. I am a huge Sonor fan and have always been hugely impressed with what they put out. Put simply, unless you start paying twice as much for a kit (E.g. an SQ2) or you get something esoteric like stave or steambent, I just don't think you'll ever need to upgrade. They really are that good.

Back