KICK PORT anyone?

Just last week I was looking at this product.
I am going to try to make one from rubber plumbing fittings or other similar things that I can find at the home improvement store .
I thought that the Kick Port in the store is a bit pricy.
I think that they are about $40.
If they were about $20 I would buy one.
I could probably make one for under $10 dollars.

I just tried an experiment. I rolled up a few layers of newspapers to make a tube and I placed them in the porthole on my 14 x18 inch kick drum. I used cellophane tape to hold them on place. There wasn't forty dollars worth of difference in the of sound!

Last edited:
I am going to try to make one from rubber plumbing fittings or other similar things that I can find at the home improvement store .

I just tried an experiment. I rolled up a few layers of newspapers to make a tube and I placed them in the porthole on my 14 x18 inch kick drum. I used cellophane tape to hold them on place.

KICKPORT did the math, and the experimenting. The diameter and length of KICKPORT is tuned for around 30 hz I believe.

I don't see why tuned port parameters for speaker boxes wouldn't work for a port in a kick drum.

I just tried an experiment. I rolled up a few layers of newspapers to make a tube and I placed them in the porthole on my 14 x18 inch kick drum. I used cellophane tape to hold them on place. There wasn't forty dollars worth of difference in the of sound!

I'd really would like to see a DIY port , if you do it , please make a thead about

Found this on the ol' YT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYwD18JeADs

In my opinion it dries out the bass drum too much. If I was looking for that sound I'd put a blanket or a pillow in the drum. Not sure how the kickport would affect the feel though.

Personally I liked the sound of the kick in that first video without the kickport!

Looks like a standard port for loudspeaker designers. You have MANY choice far cheaper from Parts Express. You could get an adjustable port or two LONG ports and play around with depth by slowly cutting it down and listening and logging results/length. Once you find the sweet spot in legth cut the second one to the length you preferred.

www.parts-express.com/wizards/searc...AT&srchCat=143&CFID=25938099&CFTOKEN=37300327

Alas, no program on hand on on he web for computer modelling that i can find, yet here is a link to see for technicals on normal analysis

http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm

Only goes to 18-inch, so you'll need to recaluclate and again, not sure they have an enclosure TYPE like a bass drum
http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

So trial and error may be the best bet.

JUst tried it, it does make a significant difference. I Drum Dialed the reso head, did a sample onto my H4n, put on the Kick Port, Drum Dialed again, and there was a noticaeable increase in low end, but also a very noticable evening of heavier and lighter strokes, for better or worse. A quick double or triple stroke sounded more liek full strokes. It increased my drum's tolerance for low tuning, it improved in sound greatly after loosening the batter head about 1/8 turn, which had been papery/clicky before. It seemed to increase ringing, which was entirely counter-intuitive.

I wonder if you'd hear any result from a mic either pointed inside the port hole or mounted internally, like with a Kelley Shu?

Back