I'll never try that again.

RinkRat

Along with my return to playing drums, I have been teaching myself piano.

I am starting to learn how to read music, and thought I'd give an easy song a try.
(Foo Fighters - Home)

Practiced for a couple of weeks, without mics, and thought I sounded pretty good.

Today, I Mic'd me & the piano up, and started recording...

ugh.

I quickly deleted the recording, packed up the mics, and put the piano back to it's proper corner of the living room.

Felt like Peter Brady of the Brady Bunch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyooALwfxO8

That was quite the wake up call. :(

Understandable.

Set it aside for a few days then try again with a fresh set of fingers.

Along with my return to playing drums, I have been teaching myself piano.

I am starting to learn how to read music, and thought I'd give an easy song a try.
(Foo Fighters - Home)

Practiced for a couple of weeks, without mics, and thought I sounded pretty good.

Today, I Mic'd me & the piano up, and started recording...

ugh.

I quickly deleted the recording, packed up the mics, and put the piano back to it's proper corner of the living room.

Felt like Peter Brady of the Brady Bunch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyooALwfxO8

That was quite the wake up call. :(

That will teach you to try and grow. (obvious reverse psychology tactic)

I say revel in the imperfectness and enjoy yourself just like a pig in slop would.

I feel for you!

What I've noticed is that whenever something is committed to video (or audio), it has a more lasting impact than something that happens live. By this I mean that is susceptible to being analysed, frame by frame, far more than is the case if it were not being immortalised forever.

I bet if somebody listened to you playing live, they'd think pretty much what you think. I doubt if you're way way out.

Recordings are very cruel, they throw everything into sharp relief with no softening. Don't be too hard on yourself!

I could have been worse.The recorder could have failed,someone with a tin ear could have heard you and told you that you're the next Billy Joel.......and before you know it,you're auditioning for American Idol,thinking.............. you really got the goods.

And.......we all know how THAT turns out................:)

That's 15 seconds of fame that you DON'T want.

Steve B

I feel for you!
Recordings are very cruel, they throw everything into sharp relief with no softening. Don't be too hard on yourself!

+1

(primarily guitar/uke player): I am working on two SIMPLE Beatles songs to perform with a friend. I've been recording myself to analyze, and it is EXTREMELY humbling. I used to think I was pretty good, now I'm embarrassed to play in public. On the flip side, recording makes me better, precisely because it illustrates all the flaws. The goal is to improve as a musician, and this definitely helps. It's just that it helps in a somewhat painful way.

My wife tells me I play beautifully all the time. That is nice to hear, but it doesn't make me better. You'll never find a more 'honest' critic than a machine.

RR, what you need is effects. Lots of lots of overdubs and effects :) Echo like the Grand Canyon. Delay to take you to next week. Dub FX over the top of bad moments. Change the pitch of your bum notes. Cheat, lie, beg, borrow and steal - that's what the pros do. The aim is to produce something enjoyable to listen to, not to prove that you can pull it off without cheating.

If it really is irretrievable then you could try playing it backwards and going crazy with hi and lo pass filters, noise filters and truncations ... create a psychedelic masterpiece!

Or ... you can practice and record the song for a few weeks until your performance improves :)

Want to feel a lot better about yourself? Let me try playing it............

Hah! Everyone should get a kick out of this...

I was looking up sound absorption/deadening videos on youtube, and realized that I DID upload the recording to my account... Somehow, I even turned it B&W. :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7BGEvX16FU

Wow. It's hilarious! It is actually so bad that I'm going to have to try it again, to prove I am better than that.

Just keep in mind, between your uncontrollable laughter & scrambling for the mute button, that this recording was done with approximately 2 weeks of self taught music/piano lessons. :)

I don't know the song - and no, that's not a kind way of saying I don't recognise it! - but I'd say it was a good choice to start with and that you did a good job after teaching yourself for only a matter of days.

No way is this as bad as you think it is, truly.

I don't know the song - and no, that's not a kind way of saying I don't recognise it! - but I'd say it was a good choice to start with and that you did a good job after teaching yourself for only a matter of days.

No way is this as bad as you think it is, truly.

Thanks Magenta. Appreciate it.

If I get some spare time this weekend, I might try recording it again. I think I have the piano down now.

Back