Drummers and bands: Think globally

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Hi All,

A few weeks ago, I thought I needed to stop posting so much on forums, and start focusing some of my thoughts in a more constructive way. I started a business blog, covering a variety of topics, most of which have nothing to do with drumming.

But today's blog post comes from posts I had originally written on here, about being a drummer in a band, and how one might make a career out of being a band today, as opposed to how we it used to try to do it. Rather than looking at all the negativity of the music business, I thought about how one can look at it in a positive light.

Musicians and Bands: Don’t think locally, think globally!
http://problemsandresults.com/blog/?p=27

I hope one or two people might get something useful out of it.

EDIT: And special thanks to MattRitter, who posted a question that I responded to that set off the original post this post is based off of!

Looks like a great read, I'll definitely read it when I have the time!

-Jonathan

Very nice entry, I've never really thought about that!
Although I'm sure making it in any country is still hard, it provides some optimism to all the young musicians (such as myself) here in America.

Although in Europe we've got to be careful not to steal the show from Andy and PQleyR!

Although in Europe we've got to be careful not to steal the show from Andy and PQleyR!
Yeah, butt outa my yard man!

Seriously, you're welcome anytime.

Nice piece of info there Ian. I left a comment. A composite approach is required in many cases, Being successful, at least to the point of filling venues, has great band value on your local scene. If nothing else, it offers good gigging opportunities. Not only is this great fun, but it gets the band tighter & pays some bills. You can build a local online fanbase from that, & use that fanbase to further multiply exposure via their contacts. To do that, you need content. In some ways, that comes back to gigs. They provide the money to record stuff, & also provide great photo/video opportunities. Once you're into original material, a website with download & pay features is your critical mass hub, with all other E tools feeding it (FB, MS, etc).

I'm in a similar boat Ian. The business has changed beyond recognition since I stomped the boards 25 years ago, & for the small time guy like me, in a very positive way. All my old fart comrades should embrace these new opportunities with both arms. It's great!

Thanks guys!

Thank you Andy for leaving the comment on my blog. I posted this in several places, and I'm getting a lot of good feedback.

As much as I lament that I wasn't born earlier in the golden age of the music business, in many ways, I wish I were starting now. It is so exciting what one can do with a digital camera, software, the Internet and the bigger world market.

Nice article, Ian. I think that you touch on some great points. I remember Joe Morello saying there is room for everyone. And now with the internet and global economy, it helps you to find out where your room is. If you hate some type of music or love some other types of music, even if there is no one in your immediate neighborhood who shares you feelings, in the global neighborhood, there are probably millions to share your interests.

When I was young, I really loved progressive rock. But I came of age when progressive rock was over, and there was literally no one interested in doing it. I used to run ads in the music papers month after month and get like one or two responses if I were lucky. Of course, I lived 15 minutes from John Petrucci, but he had to go to Berkelee to find his band. Why didn't he ever read my ad? :)

It has been said by folks far wiser than I am, you have to do this for yourself. And when you can find others who share your interests, more power to you.

Back