G2 Clear/G1 Clear Combo?

dmb_drummer

I did as many searches as I could on the forum to answer this question and no luck.
So, now's the time for me to buy new heads. I'm replacing my 2 year old Evans EC2s and stock reso heads on my Pearl.
Will the clear G2's sound better than the EC2s?
I noticed on the EC2's that they sound a bit slappy and dead. Do G2's have more warmth and tone?
Also, will the addition of clear G1's as resos make a big difference?

Please note that I play many many many styles of music, so versitility is a must-have in these heads. Will they do the job?

Any suggestions are welcome, besides Remo.
I've heard numerous complaints about quality and defects in Remo heads. I plan to stick with Evans.

yes

20 characters

So, now's the time for me to buy new heads. I'm replacing my 2 year old Evans EC2s and stock reso heads on my Pearl.
2 year old EC2's probably should have been replaced 1 1/2 years ago. Stock reso. heads (?) I'll assume as even older, should have been replaced when you changed out the batters.
Will the clear G2's sound better than the EC2s?
This is a totally loaded question. Some will say yes, some will say no. It all depends on what kind of sound you want from your drums. It all depends on the "quality" of your drums. The beauty of high-end drums is that they can support a multitude of head combo's, and all sound good. Then it's a matter of choosing the right head combo for the job. I could take EC2's and G2's both over G1's and make your drums sound "as good as their gonna sound", but whether you like the sound, or not, that's your personal taste.
I noticed on the EC2's that they sound a bit slappy and dead. Do G2's have more warmth and tone?
The G2 is going to be a brighter head. Going back to the fact that you have 2 year old EC2's, no wonder they sound slappy and dead.
Also, will the addition of clear G1's as resos make a big difference?
Yes, the G1 is gonna sound much better than your stock reso. head.

Please note that I play many many many styles of music, so versitility is a must-have in these heads. Will they do the job?
The G2/G1 combo is a classic combo. They are only going to be as versatile as your drum kit, however. The reason there are so many different types of drum heads is so you can take a drum kit, and given 5 different head combo's, give the kit 5 different sounds. There in lies your versatility. The inverse would be own 1 type of drum head and 5 different kits.

Any suggestions are welcome, besides Remo.
I've heard numerous complaints about quality and defects in Remo heads. I plan to stick with Evans.
most quality issues with Remo seems to be with coated heads, and the coating coming off/wearing too quick. Since you're using clear heads, that concern.....but nothing wrong with wanting to use Evans. They invented the Mylar drum head, after all.

"The G2/G1 combo is a classic combo. They are only going to be as versatile as your drum kit, however. The reason there are so many different types of drum heads is so you can take a drum kit, and given 5 different head combo's, give the kit 5 different sounds. There in lies your versatility. The inverse would be own 1 type of drum head and 5 different kits."

HarryConway,

Is there anyone famous you know who has played G2/G1? I was looking at EC2 Coated over G1 Clears but I'm interest in the G2/G1 combo. I want to hear it.

nice! this is what danny carey uses on his drums that where i got the idea i tried the g2 clear on batter and g1 clear on resonance on my set just like him and i liked it but i still wanted something different so i tried the g2 coated and i like them a lot more. just an over all warmer tone. for my set at least....

Back