Is SOPA bad?

But this is one of the most crucial and interesting topics in music at the moment, there's nothing better to debate on, surely. No doubt, I have an opinion, as do you; by thrashing it out we might just come up with something interesting. I know you've got your problems, let's just avoid the childish stuff.

That's what I mean though Jones. I've debated this with people constantly for the past 4 years. I'm just sort of past it now. I'm officially post-downloading.
I've been a streaming phase for a while.

If the worst does happen, will Drummerworld go down?

Actually, yes.
In a worst case scenario Drummerworld is a foreign (to the US) site that runs on a .com (US domain) DNS (applies to PIPA.)

Now we just need the how. The first video I find already has acceptable grounds based on the ambiguity of the proposed document. http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/vinniecolaiutalettermanhancock.html
The network logo is a watermark but there's also a drummerworld tag on top of it, while it mentions where it came from there's not a specific used with permissions, and it doesn't redirect to the network's link meaning potential ad revenue loss. <PIPA & SOPA> The revenue portion would probably involve a spendy litigation even if you settle, but you might have some protections with the Swiss-US legal relationship, who knows.

None of this even touches the hundreds of transcriptions of copyright material uploaded by forum members et cetera. All of this is currently under fair-use, but SOPA & PIPA don't contain fair-use language at all, not to mention first amendment violations of free speech.

I'll stay out of the rest of the discussion, but I thought this was a good example of something we all care about that would be collateral damage.

The law is basically giving the fox the run of the hen house.

The government doesn't run our countries, the corporations do - and they don't run the place for the good of all. The idea is that as much money as possible should siphon away from the little people and find its way to the big end of town.

Back