Just a DW rant...

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
So I'm trying to up-grade my other 3500 hat stand with a Delta hinge.....

NO PROBLEM doing the first one. Works great and I love the feel and the lighter weight.

This one, TWO heads snap off, and I even heated ALL the screws up to loosen the loc-tite--which is on about half of the screw.
They started to loosen fine, and then with no warning "pop".

This really irks the crap out of me.

It's not like I have the wrong tools to do the job either.

So what? I gotta buy a new foot board and heel plate? I don't think so. Not because they offer stuff to upgrade, and them make it so you can't, but don't know until you buy expensive parts ($40 for the Delta hinge) and then the thing goes to crap.

I figured I could just get the screw out (with the proper tools I have to do that) but I realized it's so coated with loc-tite that it would be impossible!

The top part of the regular hinge is NOT coming off at all.

RRRRrrrrrrrrrr!!!

End of rant.

So I'm trying to up-grade my other 3500 hat stand with a Delta hinge.....

NO PROBLEM doing the first one. Works great and I love the feel and the lighter weight.

This one, TWO heads snap off, and I even heated ALL the screws up to loosen the loc-tite--which is on about half of the screw.
They started to loosen fine, and then with no warning "pop".

This really irks the crap out of me.

It's not like I have the wrong tools to do the job either.

So what? I gotta buy a new foot board and heel plate? I don't think so. Not because they offer stuff to upgrade, and them make it so you can't, but don't know until you buy expensive parts ($40 for the Delta hinge) and then the thing goes to crap.

I figured I could just get the screw out (with the proper tools I have to do that) but I realized it's so coated with loc-tite that it would be impossible!

The top part of the regular hinge is NOT coming off at all.

RRRRrrrrrrrrrr!!!

End of rant.

You let me know when you need an additional 3500.... ;)

No kidding, it'd probably be cheaper and less hassle--wanna put the Delta hinge on it for me?

Edit: I should be covered at the shop, this just irks me.

Looking it over, whoever put this stand together got WAY too happy with the Loc-Tite. The drum key screws for the black plate (on the sides) are all COVERED in it! They at least turn so it could be folded like it's supposed to--but I'm not trying it.

I just fold the legs and place the stand in the case, so I never even noticed it.

Last edited:
heat the screw up with a hair dryer

Yeah, that's exactly what I did, repeatedly, just to make sure it was good and warm.

I remembered from the last time I talked about Loc-tie--you may have even been the one suggesting it last time!.

It worked on all but two screws (that broke off), and I didn't even try to get the two connected to the footboard off again after they were clearly locked on--and aren't coming out.

I'll need a new footboard and heel piece, although the heel would be secure with just 2 screws instead of 3.
They should replace them because they offer the Delta hinge as an upgrade or replacement part. Otherwise, why would they have just the Delta hinge in shops for sale? Just so people can screw up their stands. This one was just over done with the Loc-tite.
The shop will call so I don't have to go through an email route, but weather I have to pay anything is the question.

In addition to the heat, WD-40 and vibration would've helped free it up. 20/20 hindsight.

I took the heel and footboard back to the shop and they are taking care of it no problem.
They said "yeah, they get stupid with the loc-tite".

Should have that stand up and running again in about a week-10 days.
At least I don't need it, it's more of a convenience that it's set up exactly the way I need it for a particular band.

It's cool that something like this is covered.

I was going to suggest drilling the offending article out with a very small drill bit. If you get the size right you can usually get the part to fragment and then it's easier to get out. I did this recently when I was converting a hi-hat stand although it was using hollow pins rather than screws.

Glad to hear you've got it sorted.

Thanks.
I have the tools to get them out, but with the amount of stuff on those screws it would be stupid.
With the pieces the screws are in, I don't think I trust them in a vice while I take a drill and an extraction tool to them.
I haven't had a problem with a footboard breaking, but I've seen plenty of pics of them. If THAT happened, I wouldn't be covered for sure!
"What did you do?" "I put it in a vice to..." "A vice?, sorry"

Besides, I shouldn't have to--and turns out I don't, so it's cool.

Yep, have all these tools. If people want to work on their own gear, these are great to have--so save the link people!

A GOOD (not a cheapy) Tube Cutter is also a very valuable thing to have on hand!
Taps, threaders, a GOOD set of metric and standard hex wrenches--and a magnetic tipped set of screwdrivers-- can't forget those!

I'm pretty well stocked with the implements of doom haha!

The only reason I didn't (other than being torqued off) do it myself was because of voiding any replacement I could get.

My work area kicks ass, and the previous owner was really into working on things.
2 work benches, plugs in and coming down from the (basement) ceiling, a side wall fan, a really cool (hand made)wall cubby hole thing--spare parts heaven for hold in various things in their own sections...
I even have deep, long shelves that are perfect for holding all my snares, extra drums, heads etc... The previous owner kicked ass.

"My" section of the basement is about 14'x20' something. The wife has the other side for her stuff (same size), and the main section is where the 2-3 kits are set up, and where the kids play. It's also a walk-out style basement. I'm never moving!

Last edited:
UPDATE.
Glad I DIDN'T put the thing in the vice and try to get the screws out.
The shop sent the parts back to DW, and any marks would have messed up my warranty.
They said "this isn't the first DW pedal screws wouldn't come out of..." "...yeah, they get pretty silly with the Loc-Tite over there".

DW is sending all new parts free of charge.

I realize they try and make it so you never have to worry about things falling apart, but if it's supposed to be "upgradeable", you should at least be able to get things apart when you're trying on purpose to get a few screws out--without a blow torch and a jackhammer haha!

Back