Alternative to Remo Controlled Sound Reverse Dot

Hello all,

My bandmates and I are heading into the studio shortly, and I can't seem to find a replacement head for my snare at any of the local music shops.

does anyone know of a good substitute for this Remo head? It will be going on a 14x6.5 hand-hammered steel snare. I use a hazy 300 for the snare side head.

I was thinking the Evans genera HD Dry would be sufficient, but wanted to hear opinions. Heck, if you have a better suggestion for my snare batter in the studio, I'm open to hearing it.

Thanks!

My bad! It's actually the controlled sound X, FWIW

Last edited:
Here's a vote for the Aquarian Focus-X reverse dot.

How about a coated singly ply with a few pieces of moongel to taste? It's the studio, doesn't have to look pretty, just has to sound good.

I'd recommend against the Evans Dry, it'd be much, much dryer than a CS.

Here's another vote for the Evans Power Center Reverse Dot. I've been a Remo user for over thirty years, but recently tried this head and I love it. I am not really a fan of the "dry" heads, though.

Aquarian makes the same head as the Remo Controlled Sound Reverse Dot.
They call it Texture Coated w/ Dot underneath.

I have switched back and forth between the two for years and years.

The Aquarian is a tad brighter than the Remo, but otherwise they sound the same.

As others have said- the Evans version is the "power center reverse dot". The Aquarian is "texture coated (or classic clear) with power dot". Aquarian also has the Focus-X as mentioned which has a Powerstroke-style dampening ring around the edge. And if you want thicker, there's the Emperor X, the EC Reverse Dot, and the Hi-Energy (i think).

Back