Bands that are better live

TheGroceryman

Silver Member
So I got back from a concert thursday night, saw The Bad Plus at Merkin Hall in NYC. After my initial reaction of being completely blown away, by both the opening band (Marco Benevento trio, they were incredible!!) and the bad plus it got me thinkin. What bands in your opinion are better live? I'm only 17 so i havnt been to too many concerts, but I'll comment on some of them.

The foo fighters at MSG, front row, bout 15 feet away from them. They were extremely energetic, and they played flawlessly. IMO, they are better live than on their recordings.

Godsmack at the Saratoga performing arts center. They, too played flawlessly, but to a fault. They were too spot on. They hardly changed a thing from their recordings, including almost all the drummer's fills and beats. I like to hear variation and new things from a concert, not just the same songs i listen to all the time. so they're the exact same live versus recordings.

The bad plus, easily the best musicians i've ever seen/heard. They are so tight, so creative, so different. You never get the same thing from them twice, which is why you always feel like you need to see them again and again. they're soooo much better live than on recordings.

Dave Matthews Band. Havnt seem them live yet, in June I'll probly be able to confirm this but from the live albums I have, they seem better live. They change up their songs a lot, and for the better. Carter beauford seems like he goes even more berserk live, and they just seem entertaining as hell.

What say you?

Re: bands that are better live

Dave Matthews Band. Havnt seem them live yet, in June I'll probly be able to confirm this but from the live albums I have, they seem better live. They change up their songs a lot, and for the better. Carter beauford seems like he goes even more berserk live, and they just seem entertaining as hell.

dave is much better live. ive seen them 7 times and am not stopping.

galactic is absolutely incredible live. stanton is ridiculous. i still havent seen his trio but i will on may 29th (my 21st birthday!) in tallahassee.

Glad you enjoyed Bad+ - those guys are absolute virtuosos. Dave King is a superb drummer.

I think most bands are better live...at least what I listen to. I've been to a few shows in the past where the band sucked live...or the performance was disappointing somehow. Usually it's the other way around.

AC/DC, Van Halen, KISS...

Kiss is definitely better live as apposed to the studio. The sound isn't as dry. Ozzy is good live(not his vocals) his band is really good live. Shadows Fall was great live too. They get my pick for tightest metal performance.

Kiss is definitely better live as apposed to the studio. The sound isn't as dry. Ozzy is good live(not his vocals) his band is really good live. Shadows Fall was great live too. They get my pick for tightest metal performance.

You know what? I was screwed up for the longest time about the difference between Senses Fail and Shadows Fall. That just cleared it up (for some reason).

Oh dude Shadows Fall is a beast live, I cannot believe I forgot them.
Jason Bittner blew me away.

Maybe a little overhyped, but I'll be the first one to say Muse then, they have a great team behind them.

I still reckon Porcupine Tree was one of the best gigs I have been too.

Oh dude Shadows Fall is a beast live, I cannot believe I forgot them.
Jason Bittner blew me away.

I' ve met him in person and have seen him at a clinic. I have his bass gong drum head signed by all of the members of the the band. He also signed his dvd for me that he is out.

You know what? I was screwed up for the longest time about the difference between Senses Fail and Shadows Fall. That just cleared it up (for some reason).

Lol that's funny considering one is extreme metal while the other is pop/punk. Senses Fail are okay.

Dream Theater, Opeth and Three.

I mean Dream Theater is already a beast on studio recordings, but live there soooo much better.

same goes for opeth, just watching the keyboardist is like half the show.

-Jonathan

I might get laughed at for this, but Bowling For Soup. Their music is more funny than cheesy when it's live.

Ozomatli. Anyone hear of them? They parade through the aisles with a bunch of horns and drums, so tight. There a rcok/latin/rap band out of LA.

Lol that's funny considering one is extreme metal while the other is pop/punk. Senses Fail are okay.

I don't like Senses Fail at all which is why I found it hard to believe that Bittner would sink so low as to join a crappy band XD

THEN I found out he didn't. The world is safe, "and so is the formula."

I don't like Senses Fail at all which is why I found it hard to believe that Bittner would sink so low as to join a crappy band XD

THEN I found out he didn't. The world is safe, "and so is the formula."

Jason BIttner could play that stuff in his sleep if he ever had to sink that low.

Greatfull Dead was always better live so was Little Feet

I went thru a Mod-Ska period when I was in my early 20s and I would definetly have to say records do not do bands like The Specials, Madness, and The English Beat justice....

Those live shows were without a doubt some of the best times I've ever had watching a concert....

Back