Jimmy Chamberlin

Drummer_Boy

Does anybody like Jimmy Chamberlin of the Smashing Pumpkins like I do? What do you think of him? I think he's a good drummer, and he was actually one of the first to get me into drums. Has anyone seen him live with The Smashing Pumpkins? And this may be a really dumb question, but is he related to Matt Chamberlin in any way? It's kinda' weird, since the Smashing Pumpkins' peak was in like '97, and I was born in '93, so I don't remember any of that stuff. Well, whatcha' think?

I bought his solo CD and it has some great drum sounds. The thing about his playing is it doesn't sound that hard, but just try to play along!

Again, another GREAT sounding Yamaha kit. I want his signature snare! (Right after I buy the two Weckl ones and the Ferrone one, hehe)

Drummer_Boy said:
And this may be a really dumb question, but is he related to Matt Chamberlin in any way?

Actually Matt's name is spelled Chamberlain, that should answer your question ;)

Back to Jimmy - an amazing drummer indeed. When he got fired from the Smashing Pumpkins, they had to replace him with three drummers on stage - including Kenny Aronoff!

Jimmy Chamberlin & Mike Garson - 2000

finnhiggins said:
So you've got all six of the Gadd ones already, eh? :)

Interestingly enough, I don't like Steve Gadd's drum sound very much. Its very stuck in the 70s. The snare is, I dunno, just ok?

His cymbal sound has always been excellent ( I have the 18 session ride, and want the larger of the crashes).

GREAT GREAT Drummer, probably the best musician of the smashing pumpkins. He makes Rock rythmes flow like a river, it's so fluide. He was one of my first inspiration and still remains as one of my favourite.
Songs like Geek USA, An ode to no one, B.W.B.W, Soma..........All of them are epic, and his Yamaha signature snare sounds awesome. I'm still thinking between this one or a Ludwig Supraphonic for myself..........difficult choice.
I've heard just once his JC Complex album, I was a bit disappointed but it was just the first listen, I tought it lacked of melodies or something to fill in, but sticking just to the drums it was excellent !!!!!!!

Anchein Vouivra said:
GREAT GREAT Drummer, probably the best musician of the smashing pumpkins. .........All of them are epic, and his Yamaha signature snare sounds awesome. I'm still thinking between this one or a Ludwig Supraphonic for myself..........difficult choice.

tell me more about his signature snare - is a 'gish' type sound - with a big ring or something else - i loved that album, and the drumming....i'd love a snare that sounded like that...

Last edited by a moderator:
Stu_Strib said:
I bought his solo CD and it has some great drum sounds. The thing about his playing is it doesn't sound that hard, but just try to play along!

Again, another GREAT sounding Yamaha kit. I want his signature snare! (Right after I buy the two Weckl ones and the Ferrone one, hehe)

His signature snare is worth more than my drumset...

Stu_Strib said:
Interestingly enough, I don't like Steve Gadd's drum sound very much. Its very stuck in the 70s. The snare is, I dunno, just ok?

That's true, but that's because he puts horrible thick heads on it. The 13" Maple from his signature series is nicest snare I've ever owned. If you want a comparison drum sound, it sounds more like the recorded sound on Tori Amos' live album (w/ Matt Chamberlain) than the Ayotte Keplinger woodhoop (the drum Chamberlain used) does. Go check out the snare drum sound on the live version of "Space Dog" and tell me you don't want that...

Well, this is my first post and seeing their is a thread dedicated to my first drumming hero I felt compelled to post! Without doubt he's been my most important influence aside from the fact that when a friend of mine introduced me to his playing on Siamese Dream I was instantly repelled by those amazing singles (used to be a sign that a drummer will become an influence if I'm repelled at first) but also the most perfect drum sound. His jazz influences mean his dynamics and the tones he gets from cymbals and drums are spot on, especially when compared to the hard hitting ethos of a lot of the new bands in circulation (making him a refreshing change) and he has the power to turn what would otherwise be a fairly pedestrian tune into a work of art. If it wasn't for him, I never would have heard of Billy Cobham or Elvin Jones, would probably still be a hard-hitting rock kid and maybe never came across this wonderful site!!! Furthermore, he's a very nice guy to boot, as I had the chance to meet him at Drumfest last Sunday (check out my myspace page on my profile for the pic, starstruck ain't the word!!!).

Mario Vincent said:
Great drummer, love is style. I second Geek U.S.A., check it out, great drumming (im sure u have if ur posting here). He reminds me alot of Bonham, any one agree?

I sure do. He's definately one of the greatest rock drummers around today. Also, there are rumors, but that's probably all they are, that the Smashing Pumpkins may reunite..

Hey friends, finally registered I love this forum :D. Im going to see Jimmy on Thursday in Warrington at a small club (WA1), he's doing a clinic and is jamming a few Pumpkings songs, cant wait. Anyone else heard about this show? Thats if anyone lives in the North west of England lol

A thunder of Coxy said:
Hey friends, finally registered I love this forum :D. Im going to see Jimmy on Thursday in Warrington at a small club (WA1), he's doing a clinic and is jamming a few Pumpkings songs, cant wait. Anyone else heard about this show? Thats if anyone lives in the North west of England lol

Lucky. I wish I could go see Jimmy Chamberlin. He's still one of my favorites. I just don't know when he'll be doing stuff here again. Ask him for me please. :p

nate said:
tell me more about his signature snare - is a 'gish' type sound - with a big ring or something else - i loved that album, and the drumming....i'd love a snare that sounded like that...

Wow, your picture is Ian Curtis of Joy Division am I right? It's unexpected to find a JD fan in a "drum" forum...Joy Division is one of my favorites though!

Anyway, yes: Jimmy Chamberlin is the reason I picked drums when I was 10. He's technically REALLY good (for a pop/rock drummer especially) but it's his totally JC drumming style that I still listen to him all the time for

Went to see Jim last night at a clinic, was really good about 50 ppl in there so had a great view and was really close to see what he was doing. At the begginging of the night I was confused, sat downstairs with a few beers and we recognise someone it looks similar to Jim but we thought no he wouldnt just walk around the bar. So anyway I go the toilet and the same person walks out I just give a usually nod to say hi. In the toilets im speaking to a guy from Dawsons who set up the clinic and says "Its not every day you walk past Jimmy Chamberlain in the toilets is it?" I was shocked that it was him just walking round with us folks. Stayed talking to this guy and he says that he heard from Jim himself there is gunna be a new Pumkins record out :D, THE PUMKINS ARE GETTING BACK TOGETHER. So anyway I ran out trying to speak to Jim but he had gone upstairs to get ready I was gutted. The clinic then was awesome he played along to a few songs from his own complex album and 1 Zwan song. He told us alot which I totally agreed with. Later I spoke to him and got a few things signed, the only bad thing was a guy I go the same college as won an A custom cymbal in the raffle :S

Back