If you drink when you play in bars do you drink when you practice?

Nice trick, Pockets. That suggests that at least some songs puts us in a certain state, which is an interesting thought.

Not the point I was trying to make. The same goes for TV/Internet when studying. It is a lot easier to sing a sing in my head than to recall images and sound of a TV show.

It's more about the brain associating new knowledge to other things before it becomes ingrained.

Not the point I was trying to make. The same goes for TV/Internet when studying. It is a lot easier to sing a sing in my head than to recall images and sound of a TV show.

It's more about the brain associating new knowledge to other things before it becomes ingrained.

Okay, gotcha. What about distraction? When I was at school I music distracted me when trying to study, especially the vocals. I went to instrumental music and that worked until I started getting into that too.

Do you change the lyrics to fit study themes? Stairway to Loretto Chapel? All You Need is Enzymes? Like a Rolling Sedimentary Stone?

I play more freely and openly after one, or especially two drinks. Never more than three, though. For me, more than three drinks my playing begins to sound like the alcohol, a little wish-washy and walking fine lines.

However I will also say that I LEARN the most early in the day, which for me is from waking hour to ~five hours beyond. For me those hours are not drinking time.

I'll probably get a little bored between sound check and stage time tomorrow so I'm sure I'll have a couple IPA's before the show. Depends how I feel. I might just have a double Red Bull and vodka.

I usually don't bring a bottle of whiskey to practice, but some of the other guys do. I only play in the evening so I'm always down for a couple shots, but just a couple. It's cold in that studio.

I don't like the word "drink" as it's used in America. That word has become a badge of dishonor. "He drinks."

There is nothing wrong about drinking alcoholic beverages. If anyone gets drunk and incapacitated by drinking two beers, now, then they really shouldn't be drinking at all, period.

I always have a couple of beers at a gig that happens to be at a venue with a bar, for no other reason than there's a bar there. If the bartender looks like he knows what he's doing, I may have a cocktail. And I also sometimes have a cold beer sitting next to me, on a tom case, while I practice.

While I lived in England I once went to what's called a pub lunch, me and four other guys. The food was excellent, I had a spicy vindaloo, and these guys all had about three pints of whatever they were drinking, strong stuff. I nursed a pint of lager.

In Europe people drink all day, and nobody blinks an eye.

I don't like the word "drink" as it's used in America. That word has become a badge of dishonor. "He drinks."

There is nothing wrong about drinking alcoholic beverages. If anyone gets drunk and incapacitated by drinking two beers, then they really shouldn't be drinking at all, period.

I always have a couple of beers at a gig that happens to be at a venue with a bar, for no other reason than there's a bar there. If the bartender looks like he knows what he's doing, I may have a cocktail. And I also sometimes have a cold beer sitting next to me, on a tom case, while I practice.

While I lived in England I once went to what's called a pub lunch, me and four other guys. The food was excellent, I had a spicy vindaloo, and these guys all had about three pints of whatever they were drinking, strong stuff. I nursed a pint of lager.

In Europe people drink all day, and nobody blinks an eye.

Very true....in the USA, I agree, we are culturally uptight about drinking and the defining of it. Having been to England many times for business, I find that is not even a question of acceptability....it's part of the fabric of life.

I'm not much of a drinker for the most part, but at guitar gigs I will certainly enjoy my share of Corona or perhaps Rolling Rock.

We generally will drink at practice, though usually this means a six split between the three of of us who do drink.

I've already made the only "one too many before a gig" mistake I ever needed, which was humiliating, and quite a long time ago as a kid. I'll have two beers max a little while before the show, but nothing at all once the hand warm-ups start.

I drank the most I ever have this past year for whatever reasons and now I decided I'm done with it. After the gig was all done I would order 4 beers, sometimes 5 and pretty much slam them down for the high as I was packing up. It puts weight on me, dulls my senses, I risk getting arrested driving home, and I'm basically pissing money away that would be better utilized elsewhere. Drinking for me wasn't a step forward and I don't want it to become a routine thing. Alcohol was never my drug of choice in the first place. I'm kind of a lightweight there.

Now get off my lawn! And shut the door, what am I heating the whole neighborhood?

Haga!

Last edited:
Back