Electronic advice needed

shadowtick

Hi Folks.

I am just beginning to play again after a very long layoff. I travel a lot , but am home on weekends. About 6 months ago I bought a practice pad and am working with the stick control book. The time has come for me to invest a few bucks into a drumset. It has been about 20 years since I owned one.

I am thinking electronics are the way to go, as I live in an apartment.

At this point in my study I want to be able to hook up an i pod or metronome and play along with thee tracks and or click. My hands are starting to come back nicely, but my feet are horrible as I have not been working them much.

I am looking to spend between $1,000 and $1,500 total. Any suggestions on kits, amplifiers, or anything else I would need to meet these goals.

Thank you in advance for your responses

Try the Roland TD4 and TD9 and also the price equivalent Yamahas.

Ignore all the electonic kit bashers you meet on this forum.

Davo

Also might want to look at used to get a better price. They are great for practice and will get you back in shape.

Fishnmusicn

There should not be a need for an amp.

Many of the kits have an input for a ipod/cd player, and a head phone jack.

I prefer a kit with mesh heads over rubber, as they feel closer to real drums, and are not as hard on your wrists.

I prefer a kit with mesh heads over rubber, as they feel closer to real drums, and are not as hard on your wrists.

Agreed.

Welcome back to drumming! Please be sure to stick around DW and ask questions, advice etc. The community is very kind and will do all it can to help.

As for electric kits? They are wonderful to use for practice. The mesh heads are the way to go as far as I am concerned and they are quieter than rubber pads.

Good luck!

One last question. Are the heights of the cymbals fully positional on the Roland TD4? All the photos and videos I have watched have the ride much higher than i am accustomed to.

No you can stick t where you want to. I noticed your observation the other day. Clearly the sales photos were set-up by a non-drummer.

Actually this is one of the really good aspects of e-drums. You can locate the components close or separate, high or low, flat or angled to your hearts content.

Davo

Back