A visit from the law...

Nickropolis

...And not for a noise complaint! Wish it was though. I don't usually make posts on internet forums griping about stuff but this...just freaking wow, I kinda need to get this off my chest.

I've had an ongoing issue of my roommate (and the person staying in her room) not paying bills, leaving the house a mess and generally making everything terrible. Today was the last straw, more cat mess everywhere, so I told the roommate to get the cat a new litter box and make it use the damn thing.

She professed that it wasn't her responsibility because she is letting her friend stay in her room and it's the friend's cat. More excuses to get out of any actual life responsibility. I'm not having people suck me dry, so I changed the password to the internet until they start acting like adults and told her so.

I guess this was HER breaking point because she then threatened me (yet again, the last time she threatened to smash my drum kit because an old roommate lied to her and said that I was beating her cat and throwing it against walls...) with going to the landlord and getting me kicked out.

I yelled at her pretty loudly and expressed my displeasure with her threats...then she ran into her room, started crying, locked the door and called 911.

Well, I pretty much just sat on my stairs inside by the front door and waited to see who the lucky officers were that get to come out and deal with this ridiculous...ridiculousness.

I let the guys in and said something to the effect of "Evening officers...I'm the guy my roommate called about". Got the usual question of knives/guns/needles on me and patted down and then explained to the younger of the two how things went while the other officer went upstairs to talk to my roommate.

There were a few details that I had to set straight such as me not being her boyfriend (not sure where they got that...) and me not smashing her bedroom door (the door doesn't have a scratch on it...), but usual practice is to separate the two parties for a night...so, Happy New Year to me, I got kicked out of my own house.

Honestly, I'm worried about my drum kit right now. She threatened to destroy my Sonor kit once already and I just bought a 1978 Rogers...I guess if that happens the police will be at my door again, for destruction of property.

So yeah...I'm gonna talk to the landlord tomorrow. Woe is me.

What a drag! I hope the drums survive and your new year brings better juju. Sounds like it can only get better!

Good luck in the new house search too.

You may have to find a new place to live yourself. Trying to kick her out sounds difficult.

Think of a man, then take away reason and accountability, and you'll have a woman.

You may have to find a new place to live yourself. Trying to kick her out sounds difficult.

Think of a man, then take away reason and accountability, and you'll have a woman.

Please don't judge us all by one idiot representation of our gender and I'll do my best to do the same for you :).

Nickropolis.... Do you have any way of taking pics of your kits so in case they get damaged you'll have proof that they were fine when you left? I hope it all works out for you.

Please don't judge us all by one idiot representation of our gender and I'll do my best to do the same for you :).

Nickropolis.... Do you have any way of taking pics of your kits so in case they get damaged you'll have proof that they were fine when you left? I hope it all works out for you.

Sorry, I'm a bit jaded.

Sorry to hear that, Nick. Evil, crazy house mates and neighbours are the absolute pits.

I take it you were too shell shocked to tell the police about your flatmate's threat to smash your drums, and that you had two kits left in peril by not being around to guard them.

Dude don't mess with these people.They are pretty obviously manipulative and untrustworthy. To protect yourself, get a lawyer as soon as you can. It will minimise the damage and you will probably come out on top. Do it now!

I don't know the law in your neck of the woods but if your name is on the lease,then they go and you stay.

I guess you're sub letting to off set costs to broom hilda and her sidekick catwoman,at least that's what it sounds like.More over,the cat seems to be involved also.

Just get a big dog that hates cats,and let nature take it's course.:):):)

I'm kidding really,I like cats better than some humans I know.

You should take pics of all your stuff and not just your drums.Talk to the landlord because now the cat is damaging HIS property.I'm sure he'll have something to say about that.

You also may get stuck holding the bag for the cat damage.Look into moving out,and possible ways to break your lease,if it's in your name.

Sorry this happened.Have a beer or two.Cooler heads will prevail.:)

Steve B

I'd make it my immediate goal to put distance between me and this roommate i.e. either move out or move her out. Sounds like she is the type that if she got super-POed and it suited her she might accuse you of doing more than just kicking in the door.

As Jenny said..."RUN FORREST RUN!!!!".

use legal means:
1. hopefully landlord does not allow pets. that then eliminates cat, and cat owner 'friend'
2. hopefully landlord does not really allow sublets, that gets rid of her ,all for legal reasons.
3. contact landlord on rules and lawyers. you will not be able to reason with this loonball

I would say get away from them. It doesn't matter if you move out or they do. It will only cause more problems and if you aren't able to make them leave then you just move out. You don't have to deal with these people. You definitely shouldn't have to worry about your stuff being destroyed.

For clarification, do you own this property or just lease it? You mentioned that you got kicked out of your own house, so I'm wondering if you own it. But you mentioned a landlord, so I have to assume you lease. The landlord may just say since you are the leasee, you have to deal with subleasing roommates.

Interesting situation since it kinda relates to how a band works.

I would suggest never responding in kind to "bad behavior"...then extricate yourself from the situation...that is, time to move.

It takes alot of will to not throw negativity back at those who spit it out...but the exercise will pay off in other situations.

Thanks for the concern and comments, glad to know that someone still has a sense of sky and earth.

My gear and everything else was fine, I do have pictures on here as backup though.

I'm the appointed guy in the house that is supposed to be taking care of it and keeping order, making sure bills get paid and keeping in touch with the landlord. It was a pretty relaxed house with no actual lease because nobody every really effed around like this before.

After getting home and having the OTHER roommate/bandmate/friend turn on me too, I just decided to pack it up and say screw the lot of them, don't really care what happens to the property. There's some things in my room and two couches downstairs but I did a one evening move of all my valuables/drums/personal stuff.

I've come to discover that they all have a mental age of 4 and two faces...he, not one week ago, was complaining to me about how disgusting the offending party is and how he will be on my side when it comes time to kick her out. That turned into threatening me to 'not piss him off', insults and slamming doors in my face. He also blamed me for him not having a phone and cutting off his contact to the outside world through shutting off the internet.

Sad sacks of skin that have nothing better to do than try to drag everyone down into their world of pain and misery.

Its vengeful but I'm enjoying the fact that every pot, pan, tool and appliance that was there is mine and they don't have any money to pay bills or buy new ones. Or even buy oil for the furnace.

Nick, I can understand what it's like.

When I was at University I discovered that my housemates had been saying all sorts of horrible things behind my back. Unfortunately I wasn't in the position where I could move out so instead I simply didn't use the communal areas for six months and removed all of my 'useful' appliances from the communal areas - including the TV decoder (that was a brilliant move).

The easiest way to fall out with people is to live with them. At least your dinner isn't sandwiches at 10PM because you don't want to use the kitchen!

Agreed. 95 percent of the people in prison are men - that says something right there.

In any case, Nickropolis, you unfortunately got someone for a roommate who is extremely immature, toxic and manipulative.

I am a landlord. How does a tenant get someone like this out of their home? If their name isn't on the lease, they aren't entitled to live there. Get a copy of the lease and keep it with you at all times, have the landlord change all the locks and don't let her in unless the police are there. You are renting that space so it is your home and you get to determine who lives there. Anyone else is committing trespass, if not burglary.

But since you're already left, you should make sure your name isn't on the lease any more. If it is, you are still responsibly for the rent. It sounds like this situation is headed for eviction. I pity the landlord - cats and irresponsible people are very hard on a place.

I would recheck the laws of residence in your particular area.In NY City.if you live anywhere for more that 30 days,you can't be summarily evicted.You as a landlord must go the the landlord/tenant civil court to get a judge to review and rule on the case.These judges rule that about 99% of the time,that the tenant has at least 30 days to find housing.They usually take 90 days to even hear the case.

Steve B

The whole thing reminds me of this film:

220px-Pacific_Heights_DVD_Cover.jpg

I hope things go smoother for you than that.

Back