Snare heads

bgwcl

Which snare heads would people recommend for a Jazz kit and Jazz/Soul/Early Funk playing style? I have already used coated Remo Vintage A's on the toms for a nice warmth, but I was after a real sharp crack for the snare, like James Brown recordings, played by Clyde Stubblefield and/or Jab'O Starks. Anyone help me out as to what would suit me? Cheers, Jonny.

I use a coated single ply Evans with a reverse power dot.
I also use a coated Remo PS 3 sometimes.
Those are my two fav heads for snare batter.

The PS 3 works wonders on my less expensive snare drums.
It makes them sound like they are much higher end drums.

If you want a short, sharp crack, maybe try something along the lines of Aquarian's Focus-X or Evans' 'Dry' models. I think they have a few different ones.

I've only used the Evans head a few times. If I want a dry, crack sound, I'll use a pre-muffled head, usually the Focus-X. That head lasts forever.

If you want a short, sharp crack, maybe try something along the lines of Aquarian's Focus-X or Evans' 'Dry' models. I think they have a few different ones.

I've only used the Evans head a few times. If I want a dry, crack sound, I'll use a pre-muffled head, usually the Focus-X. That head lasts forever.
I have played a
Focus-X.
I liked it but it was a bit to dry.
It wasn't what I wanted for a Jazz sound.
It did last and last like a Timex watch!
I replaced it with the Remo PS 3.
The PS 3 has just a bit more wetness to it then the Focus-X
The Focus-X did record well though.

I like the Evans Genera Dry. The single play gives a sensitive response while the muffler ring and air vents allow a lot of the overring to disappear.

Depending on the drum, though, I also like the regular Evans Genera (without the air vents) and the Evans Power Center with reverse dot. Both give a solid crack.

Guess which drumhead company I like...

I'll second the PC reverse dot. Durable, sounds great, consistant. I also like the EC snare as well.

Lots of great suggestions so far, but keep in mind what you heard on those recordings was probably played on a plain old coated Ambassador.

should try a combination of remo and evans. i recentlly changed from having a evans ec1 batter head with a remo dw stock resonant head to a evans st dry batter with a remo ambassador resonant head and the difference is incredible

I use an Evans and a Remo often in combination.
There are no rules.

Last edited:
Evans Genara HD Dry or EVans Genera ST Dry. Both are two ply with the HD having one 7.5 mil play plus one 5.0 mil ply and the ST has two 7.5 mil plies. Durable, loud, and worth every penny.

Back