Best Metal Voice?

My opinion:

Randy from Lamb of God.. ridicolous screaming and growling skills
Anders Fridén from In Flames.. many may disagree with me, but I love his voice :)

It just seems so contradictory to me... a Christian metal band. ...

You are not the first to make this observation. However, there was a big wave of Christian rock and metal bands in the 80s.

Odd, that this thread would take such a turn, since we're talking about "best metal voice" -

One of the most impressive metal singers I have ever heard was Dale Thompson of the Christian rock band Bride. I saw them in the late 80s somewhere in Southern California. The band was pretty good. The singer was phenomenal. Before they drew open the curtain, Dale sang the Star Spangled Banner a cappella. That moment remains fixed in my memory as the single most stunning demonstration of vocal virtuosity that I have ever heard. His voice was high and intensely powerful in the old-school, operatic metal style. He could hold onto a note at full power for longer than anyone I've ever heard.

A friend of mine at the time made me a tape (yes a cassette tape) of one their early albums; that was all I ever heard of them. The Wikipedia article on them says they're still around but have been all over the place with their sound; I don't have a clue what they're doing today or how Dale sounds.

Regardless, obscure as he may be, I'd throw his name in the hat as one of the best metal voices ever.

Serj Tankian
[System Of A Down]

I don't really like bands like In Flames or something.

Serj Tankian has the best ... half-metal voice, because he connects shredding guitars, crushing drums with a calm voice and melodies played with closed eyes. Great!

Hello, fellows.

Rob Halford - Judas Priest.
Ian Astbury - The Cult. (not metal).
Phil Anselmo - Pantera.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Oldschool:
Ozzy
Dio
Geoff Tate (Queensryche)

Newer:
Serj (System of a Down)
David Draiman (Disturbed)
Sully (Godsmack)

Honorable Mention:
Axl Rose (If you consider G&R metal)

But really, "best [whatever]" questions are impossible to answer.

Devin Townsend (SYL)
Dallas (Nile)
Randy Blythe (Lamb of God) (I know you can't understand him, but that's not what I'm interested in, he sounds so good with the music)

My real favorite:
Cam Pipes (3 Inches of Blood) Falsetto was going out of style, but since I can sing this style I love it, and I really like everything about their music. Killer stuff.

On another note:
Christian black metal has and is still being done. Search "Unblack Metal" on wikipedia.

Since when is Christian Metal a contradiction? Not that I am a christian but I see no issue there.

My real favorite:
Cam Pipes (3 Inches of Blood) ...

Aye, seconded. Great band, awesome metal voice. Definitely a throw-back in style, but he pulls it off. I don't know how he can sing like that without blowing vital organs out of his mouth. The back-up singer has a helluva scream, too. This band grabbed me the very first time I heard them.

I love a good growler as much as the next guy, but I kinda think it's been overdone at this point. There's too many out there. I welcome the return of the soaring screecher that can carry a melody.

Aye, seconded. Great band, awesome metal voice. Definitely a throw-back in style, but he pulls it off. I don't know how he can sing like that without blowing vital organs out of his mouth. The back-up singer has a helluva scream, too. This band grabbed me the very first time I heard them.

I love a good growler as much as the next guy, but I kinda think it's been overdone at this point. There's too many out there. I welcome the return of the soaring screecher that can carry a melody.

The whole falsetto style is acquired I guess, I've been able to do it my whole life and I have a pretty low speaking voice (As does Cam). The screamer actually blew his voice out and has been MIA for the past 2 years, expected to return early in 2009. I've seen them live twice and both times one of the guitarists was doing all of the screaming parts; it was definitely still astounding to see them live.

look at the lyrics,ora, and phsyical apperance of a band like cannibal corpse...then look at a christian metal band. polar opposites.

Technically Cannibal Corpse has nothing to do with religion and are "unnafiliated". You're looking for bands more like Dimmu Borgir, Gorgoroth, and Akercocke.

Back