DW 9000 Double Pedal Problem

whitecatcafe

My slave pedal sometimes makes this 'metal clank' noise when I play. Upon closer inspection, I found that the sound is coming from the chain hitting the foot board. It seems like the foot board 'moves up' sometimes, and when it moves back down again, it makes that metal sound. I hope I'm making sense with the description..

Anyway, I wonder if it's the pedal, or me. Because my main pedal works just fine with no sounds. Maybe I'm not making the stroke correctly? Maybe I should press down harder on the pedal? Would love some insight and help.. the sound is getting extremely annoying.

Mine occasionally does it too. I think it happens when you lift your foot up prematurely and the pedal rebounds. Then the chain clinks. Nothing wrong, just a trait the pedal has.

I have also had the same problem...I do think it is probably not a big deal, but I'm not sure

In my case, it led me to examine how I might have set the pedal up...and if that was something I could adjust. I thought I wanted a higher footboard than came stock on the 9000 so I raised it..Didn't really do much in terms of improving the feel for what I thought I was wanting...

Also, I had my beater pretty far back...not right or wrong there I guess...but that weight on the end of the beater rod is a torque arm and the weight ion the torque arm will cause more force in pulling the board back in rebound action

So the combination of my spring tension, beater height off the mounting hole, beater position back from the batter head and pedal height looked to be the cause. And I mucked with all of that right after I bought the pedal.

I adjusted those some and was able to cut down and virtually eliminate the rebound chain smack...thats my experience at least and my playing style could be way different than yours so there might not be a correspondence

I had that problem with the slave pedal on a Yamaha chain double. Actually the master pedal did it too, but not as bad.
Adjustments didn't help, but I quieted it down by wrapping electrical tape around the metal-to-metal contact point on the front of the pedal.
LOL - probably not recommended.
I don't really care for chain drive pedals anymore. Seems to be a common problem with most of them that I've had.

Hmmmm, maybe I need to look into my technique. And maybe make some adjustments to the foot board angle. After I got these pedals, I didn't adjust anything, there are in their stock settings. I really can't live with the clanking.

Hmmmm, maybe I need to look into my technique. And maybe make some adjustments to the foot board angle. After I got these pedals, I didn't adjust anything, there are in their stock settings. I really can't live with the clanking.

...I hate the clanking. My speed cobra also did it with the factory settings which added a new dimension....with the longboard I had more leverage and I'm certain in that instance it was my technique

Mine occasionally does it too. I think it happens when you lift your foot up prematurely and the pedal rebounds. Then the chain clinks. Nothing wrong, just a trait the pedal has.

This sounds right. Try running your pedals with your hands (I know, it is weird). Your hands will not be able to manipulate the pedals as fast as they can sticks. There will be a point where the weight of the pedals will counter act your hands and bottom out. If you hear the same sound you are referring to, you are picking your foot up off the pedal prematurely. If this is the case, the sound you are hearing is the chain picking up slack and clanking on the foot board where it is attached.

Back