Wood Shortage

I very much advocate recycling of wood whenever possible. Not only do you reap the sonic benefits of wood that's cured for decades, if not centuries, but the environmental benefits are pretty cool too.

Agreed. Your mahogany prototype kit is just about the best advertisement for this. Unfortunately it seems unlikely that mainstream manufacturers are going to go around looking for second-hand wood sources in anything but their highest-end kits. It's the same for guitar manufacturers as well.

Agreed. Your mahogany prototype kit is just about the best advertisement for this. Unfortunately it seems unlikely that mainstream manufacturers are going to go around looking for second-hand wood sources in anything but their highest-end kits. It's the same for guitar manufacturers as well.
I agree Duncan. It's not just the continuity of supply issue for the volume makers, it's the work associated with selecting & preparing woods from a range of forms. Mass makers require uniformity to make their operation as lean as possible. This means woods arriving in forms most suited to their processes (i.e. certain thickness sheets, etc). Recycling is far more viable if you're making stave or segmented shells.

These big companies better start coming up with plans to reforest.
Forget "big companies" .... nations had better start coming up with some plans​

Is this the first time anyone has bothered to worry about wood shortages?
Certainly not ... but the percentage of wood used in musical instruments is insignificant, when compared to consumption of wood by the housing, furniture, and paper industries.

So I apologize for being one of those guys who changes drumkits like I change my underwear. I can't help myself. But what of those people who collect guitars and other wooden musical instruments? Hell, what about all that furniture being made and buildings being built? Houses? I think the Home Depot probably sells more wood in a month then Pearl uses to fill a shipping container to send drums to America. Personally, I'm not so sure instrument manufacturers are the prime culprits of deforestation.

I love my bubinga drums and because of the sonic properties I get with them, I'm not planning on selling them and getting a new set any time soon ;)

But you never know.

So I apologize for being one of those guys who changes drumkits like I change my underwear. I can't help myself. But what of those people who collect guitars and other wooden musical instruments? Hell, what about all that furniture being made and buildings being built? Houses? I think the Home Depot probably sells more wood in a month then Pearl uses to fill a shipping container to send drums to America. Personally, I'm not so sure instrument manufacturers are the prime culprits of deforestation.

I love my bubinga drums and because of the sonic properties I get with them, I'm not planning on selling them and getting a new set any time soon ;)

But you never know.

I may be sentimental ... but, remember, if people buy fewer kits then that reduces demand, which then reduces prices for collectors :)

I may be sentimental ... but, remember, if people buy fewer kits then that reduces demand, which then reduces prices for collectors :)
Yes Pol, but only short term. Longer term, reduced demand = lesser economies of scale = higher prices, especially in the budget kit sector.

Anyhow, I think Bo will keep the drum economy going on his own, what with his love for frequent kit purchases & his day job's lack of kit care. Tamaha wins again!

Made me think of another good reason for my Saturn purchase. Thin shells, less wood. Plus they are nice and light to carry around. :)

I hear ya', Pol. However, even in this downed world economy, people are still buying drum kits. I say people are people and it'll never stop. For as long as there will be younger drummers coming up playing pots and pans, there will always be drummers who crave the newest and most expensive. And regardless if they ever get a gig, they always seems to end up with those dang drums their spouses all complain about ;)

My buddies 6 piece Tama Babinga Elite comes in about a month. I am so looking forward to seeing how the sound compares to my Saturn's. I will try and put up an unbiased comparison review, when it gets here. Good luck with that. I will try though.
They cost twice as much, so they better be good. :)

Ask the manufacturer where the wood came from and how it was obtained. If they say they don't know or dodge in any way, you can assume it was taken without proper safeguards.

But you never know.

Musical instruments are a tiny part of the issue, but they're in the mix and I am going to take responsibility for my tiny slice of the pie. Plus, homes and most furniture is made out of cheap, fast-growing softwoods in the US and Canada, or other commercial forests.

It's the jungles that grow exotic hardwoods that are most at risk. These are in Third World nations with corrupt politicians and desperate people. Some of them will destroy their forests, habitat and watersheds to sell timber, some of which will wind up in your drum set.

Back