Snare wire straps broken. Replacements?

FunkyJazzer

Hey guys. Was 'rocking' on my pearl export steel snare tonight and one of the strings pulling the snares on one side gave in and snapped. I don't really need replacement wires (although I might invest in some Puresounds later). The real issue is the string that snapped. I'm here right now trying with regular string but it's not holding up, I can't even put the snares on before it snaps.

Please help, what can I use? Even if I did buy a new set of snare wires, they don't come with straps or string, do they?

I need it sorted by next week really.

Cheers guys,
Lloyd.

I just picked up some puresounds and they came with nylon straps

Use the nylon or mylar straps that come with most snares or in your case if you don't have one use an old shoelace.
And from my experience some snares come with both string and straps.

Go to Walmart in the fabric dept and buy a meter of grosgrain nylon strap (in whatever color you like) and you'll be set for life.

I cut up an old EC2 clear head into strips and use those as snare strainer straps. Have done that for years...just a simple way to recycle old heads.

Go to Walmart in the fabric dept and buy a meter of grosgrain nylon strap (in whatever color you like) and you'll be set for life.

This stuff is the answer. Grosgrain ribbon is very strong (polyester) yet very flexible. This helps the snares conform to the head evenly.

Try it and you'll never go back to plastic strips. I can't imagine using something so stiff as drumhead plastic for this job.

Cheap, widely available (any fabric or sewing store), and a wide variety of colors.

This stuff is the answer. Grosgrain ribbon is very strong (polyester) yet very flexible. This helps the snares conform to the head evenly.

Try it and you'll never go back to plastic strips. I can't imagine using something so stiff as drumhead plastic for this job.

Cheap, widely available (any fabric or sewing store), and a wide variety of colors.

Pardon my unfounded and off-base idea of using something so stiff like drumhead plastic.

My snare sound suffers horribly. Even worse, I have to replace the stiff drumhead plastic strips...um....every year of so?!?!

Walmart, here I come.

Gibraltar makes replacements, both the nylon string and the mylar strap type. You should be able to get those at any drum shop or Guitar Center.

I like the idea of cutting up old heads to make straps. And the Grosgrain ribbon sounds great. I've got to check that out.

Pardon my unfounded and off-base idea of using something so stiff like drumhead plastic.

My snare sound suffers horribly. Even worse, I have to replace the stiff drumhead plastic strips...um....every year of so?!?!

Walmart, here I come.

Sorry if you took my post the wrong way! I'll try not to offend anyone's delicate sensibilities in the future!

Nope...not taken the wrong way. Not offended. You were very clear in your post.

I can't imagine spending any money on something that can be made by the dozen with used drumheads. The seriously minute difference between the two is not even worth picking bones over.

Back