The Black Page Dude

I am planning on building a hybrid kit. I have acoustic shells.

I am looking into mesh heads, triggers and a module. Anyone have some suggestions? I hear good things about the Pearl module for the price.

Few things to remember when you pick a module the cymbals should come from the same brand the triggers will work with almost any module. Drum size matters I suggest nothing over 14" when using triggers. Remo mesh heads are mush nicer then the Pearls have not tried any others. Tons of info on how to make triggers yourself very easy cheap and work well just search YouTube for videos.

My hybrid kit all Drums less the snare are home made triggers cost around $10 a drum.

998453_726329057387907_969997558_n_zps4120b186.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here's the thread on my setup:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94063
Stay away from the Pearl Redbox (the sounds are terrible IMO).
2Box or Roland modules are the way to go (whichever model in your price range).
I've used 682Drums mesh heads due to cheaper price (and they've been great) but any mesh should do as long as it is 2-ply (once again, stay away from the el-cheapo Pearl mesh heads which are single ply).

You can find inspiration here.
And if you're not good in DIY you can just buy readymade triggers (our intriggs are proven to work great with Roland, Yamaha, 2box, ...)
As for cymbals, yamahas offer great price-performance ratio and will work on other modules as well. Except in Ride inputs (there are some exceptions, but still ...).
For HH/controller, you definitely have to get same brand as module.

You can find inspiration here.
And if you're not good in DIY you can just buy readymade triggers (our intriggs are proven to work great with Roland, Yamaha, 2box, ...)
As for cymbals, yamahas offer great price-performance ratio and will work on other modules as well. Except in Ride inputs (there are some exceptions, but still ...).
For HH/controller, you definitely have to get same brand as module.

Some Yamaha cymbals will I stay away from mismatching modules and cymbals. Work and work well are to different things IMO. There older ones work but finding them is another story. How much you want to spend might help in suggestions on what way to go.

Anyone have info/opinion about the DDT triggers?

Not available in N America as far as I know but I wanted to have a look at one.

Never used anything other then home made Roland RT triggers and Simmons. Roland worked great on a 14" snare I used as a Floor Tom the Simmons was a POS and didn't work well with the Roland module or mesh head.

Looked at the ddt triggers online look like just about every other trigger out there. The center mount one looks the best but you can make that for so much less then what there asking. With center mount size wont matter as much though I still would prefer 14" and under. Also with center mount there will be a hot spot where the foam touches the head just another thing to think about.

Never liked the center mounted triggers ... The hotspot is almost impossible to get rid of. Even on higher end modules.

Very true I own the Roland Pd-128-bc there newest 12" snare center mounted trigger though I would not trade it for any other theres a hot spot. Only notice it on ghost notes and I don't hit dead center in the first place but it's there.

My hybrid kit all Drums less the snare are home made triggers cost around $10 a drum.

998453_726329057387907_969997558_n_zps4120b186.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nice kit! I'm fixing to do something similar myself.

Can I ask, are the Gen16 cymbals quiet enough? Are they that much louder than the Rolands? I have the Roland Cymbals now, but I sure wouldn't mind upgrading to Gen 16's at some point if possible.

Back