Gavin Harrison here!

Hey Gavin! That little trick you use in 'Drown With Me' is good to know about now.

Two questions I'm once again working with. (Aren't I always?)

1) On the song 'Chloroform,' did you use sticks or brushes for the main tom pattern? Just the way that the toms sound, it makes me think that you're using brushes, but I could be wrong. But then if you were using brushes, then you'd have to be pretty quick on picking up a pair of sticks for the 6/8 ride pattern in the middle part of the song.

2) Whenever you play 'Hatesong' live, do you always play something different during the whole ending phrase that seems to be just one big solo for the whole band? Or do you follow a certain set of rhythms and patterns for the hi hat or ride or china? (a kind of order that you've set up for yourself for what to play and where)

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Cheers --Peter

Hi Gavin,

if you remember I gave you a draft of a paper about drum tuning when you were in Verona during your Italian drum clinic. That paper was accepted for publication on PAS Percussive Notes. I still don't know on which issue... but I can let you know. If you have comments they are welcome. I also referred to some tips that you suggested on your videos.

very best wishes,

M.

P.S. once in a Video you declared that you don't feel like being a teacher.... but I guess you are teaching to all of us much more than any other teacher in the world! :) Thanks!

Hi Gavin,

I know that you've said that Porcupine uses a click during live performances - are the tempos exactly the same as the recorded versions? I ask because my band is starting to use a click more and more onstage, but we're having tempo discrepancies because we've gradually gotten 5 to 10 clicks faster on a lot of tunes. Do you have an opinion on live tempos? I like album tempos, but the guys in my band just love to go fast fast fast... Best, Matt

Hi Swiss Matthias

Now my question is: Do you feel the volume of the monitor sound influences your drumming, can you play a concert kind of blind flight barely hearing the other instruments, or is there a big difference whether you have a big monitor sound or not?

Since starting to use 'in-ear' monitors I've gained control of the overall sound that reaches my ears - and I have to be careful these days as I blew my ears up in the old days and have tinnitus now. I try to keep the overall volume - including myself - as low as I can. I enjoy it more when it's louder but my ears pay the price after the show.

Hi Drummerrobin

I'm sure I read somewhere that you were once a member of the National Youth Jazz Orchestra. Is that true? If it is that's pretty cool as I've just joined the band myself!

I wouldn't say that I joined the band. I used to go along to the rehearsals in 1977 and sit in sometimes.

And now for another slightly trivial question - is it true that you played drums on the Bottom theme tune?

correct.

Hi totopaul

recently I feel a little pain in my wrist of the left hand. I use my fingers alot when playing. I tried different things like turning my hand "inward" but it didn't really help.
Now just a couple of days ago I found out that when I hold my left arm nearer to my body it seems to get a little better. Do you have any advice which aspects could be responsible for wrist-pain ?

I don't know how to advise you without seeing you play. I haven't had that problem. Maybe a good teacher could help you with that?

Hi K_HiHats

1) On the song 'Chloroform,' did you use sticks or brushes for the main tom pattern? Just the way that the toms sound, it makes me think that you're using brushes, but I could be wrong. But then if you were using brushes, then you'd have to be pretty quick on picking up a pair of sticks for the 6/8 ride pattern in the middle part of the song.

They were 'Hot Rods' and I had a pair of sticks ready on a chair to do a quick change.

2) Whenever you play 'Hatesong' live, do you always play something different during the whole ending phrase that seems to be just one big solo for the whole band? Or do you follow a certain set of rhythms and patterns for the hi hat or ride or china? (a kind of order that you've set up for yourself for what to play and where)

It is an open solo - so I try to play it different every night - that's not to say that I might repeat something that I've played before.

Hi Matty G.

I know that you've said that Porcupine uses a click during live performances - are the tempos exactly the same as the recorded versions?

There's not a click in every song - but when we do it's at the same tempo as the album - and the videos are composed to the album mixes months in advance - so they need to be the same.

cheers
Gavin

Hey Gavin! I would have never guessed Hot Rods. (I personally prefer Cool Rods at the moment.)

What's this? Only one question that beckons to be answered this time. That... question... is... (drum roll sounds off in the background):

I was recently watching a video of your playing (Gavin Harrison & Simon Phillips [Part 3] Guitar Center's Drum-Off 2010 Finals), and I noticed this really awesome thing that you did during the video. This thing happens to appear at around 1:55, where you play between the ride and hi hat and snare. It looks and sounds pretty cool, so just what the heck are you playing there?

Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Yx41LSmXI

That's it for now. Thanks for answering.

Cheers --Peter

I'll try to keep it simple:

1. Since you play with gripped sticks, do you ever get blisters or something? I play with sticks with grip and recently i've been having blisters. Any suggestions?

2. Any plans in the near future, or not so near future to visit India?

Hi Gavin!

After many time, I got the money to buy a SQ2 like yours 8", 10", 12", 15", 16", 22". But here in my country the SQ2 does not arrive, so I would visit Germany or England to buy this drumset.

But near from my house, there‘s a DW collector‘s kit 8", 10", 12", 14", 16", 22".

I know that you use a DW on the PT album "In Absentia", but I think that you use less tom-tom fills on this album than the others PT albums.

1- Is this because the DW drums?
2- Why do you prefer the Sonor over the DW?
3- Could you give me your opinion? Is better take the DW here in my country or take an airplane and buy a SQ2 because it sounds better?

You are a great source of musicality, congratulations Gavin!

Hi Gavin,
another question:
Imagine you would awake after some accident or something
and you would have lost all your abilities to play drums.
Would you start from 0 again?

Im curious for your answer!
Chris

Hi Gavin!

After many time, I got the money to buy a SQ2 like yours 8", 10", 12", 15", 16", 22". But here in my country the SQ2 does not arrive, so I would visit Germany or England to buy this drumset.

But near from my house, there‘s a DW collector‘s kit 8", 10", 12", 14", 16", 22".

I know that you use a DW on the PT album "In Absentia", but I think that you use less tom-tom fills on this album than the others PT albums.

3- Could you give me your opinion? Is better take the DW here in my country or take an airplane and buy a SQ2 because it sounds better?

You are a great source of musicality, congratulations Gavin!
Hey Rítmico!
I know I'm not Gavin, but I have some thought for you: Although of course every brand
sounds different, and SQ2 drumsets are more than amazing, I wouldn't interpret too much
into the drums. A lot of Gavin's sound comes from Gavin - his playing, his touch, his tuning.
So I wouldn't only buy an SQ2 because of that.

Also: If you really invest that much and take a flight in order to buy an SQ2, be absolutely
sure you will be able to take the SQ2 on the plane ;)!!! Otherwise it's going to be seriously
frustrating!!

Hey Rítmico!
I know I'm not Gavin, but I have some thought for you: Although of course every brand
sounds different, and SQ2 drumsets are more than amazing, I wouldn't interpret too much
into the drums. A lot of Gavin's sound comes from Gavin - his playing, his touch, his tuning.
So I wouldn't only buy an SQ2 because of that.

Also: If you really invest that much and take a flight in order to buy an SQ2, be absolutely
sure you will be able to take the SQ2 on the plane ;)!!! Otherwise it's going to be seriously
frustrating!!

Great consideration Matthias!

I fully agree with you. Also consider that the sound you hear in a cd in almost never like the original one. Moreover dw makes more "standard vintage shells" whereas SQ2 offers different choices of wood thickness. If I'm not wrong Gavin choose vintage maple for the tom-toms until 12" and medium for the 14" and 16" tom-toms.

Hi dr_flam

if you remember I gave you a draft of a paper about drum tuning when you were in Verona during your Italian drum clinic. That paper was accepted for publication on PAS Percussive Notes. I still don't know on which issue... but I can let you know. If you have comments they are welcome. I also referred to some tips that you suggested on your videos.

yes I remember that you handed me the paper and I read it. I didn't have any comments to add to it.

Hi K_HiHats

I was recently watching a video of your playing (Gavin Harrison & Simon Phillips [Part 3] Guitar Center's Drum-Off 2010 Finals), and I noticed this really awesome thing that you did during the video. This thing happens to appear at around 1:55, where you play between the ride and hi hat and snare. It looks and sounds pretty cool, so just what the heck are you playing there?

32nd note patterns that probably have RLRRL in them somewhere plus some kind of paradiddles. It was just something that I improvised on the night rather than an exact worked out pattern.

Hi siddhant.seth

1. Since you play with gripped sticks, do you ever get blisters or something? I play with sticks with grip and recently i've been having blisters. Any suggestions?

I don't get blisters from them - I guess the stick doesn't move around that much in my grip - where the friction from the Vic Grip might cause blistering.

2. Any plans in the near future, or not so near future to visit India?

Sorry no plans to visit India at the moment.

Hi Rítmico

I wasn't trying to use any less tom fills on that record that I'm aware of.

I never really liked the DW - there was a massive mix up on the day I arrived at he studio and Sonor had sent (via a rent company) a real budget kind of kit. So I panicked and got the rent company to send over their most 'pro' kit. They didn't have any more Sonor drums so they sent that DW kit instead.

What country are you from? Do you know a shop that actually has the exact SQ2 you want? Usually it takes 10-12 weeks to order and build it. Personally I'd go for the SQ2 set.

HI anders_slåke

Any idea when we can expect anything new from Porcupine Tree?
Albums? Tours?

No - nothing at the moment. Probably we'll start writing at the end of this year.

dr_flam

If I'm not wrong Gavin choose vintage maple for the tom-toms until 12" and medium for the 14" and 16" tom-toms.

'Thin' shells for the 8, 10, 12 and then 'Medium' shells for the floor toms and 'Heavy' for the bass drum.

cheers
Gavin

Hey Gavin. Just wanted to tell you I had not heard of you before drum solo week. You really impressed me. I am a huge Neil Peart fan and found you to be similar in some of your solo approaches. I will be following you more closely now.

I also wanted to say I really loved the sound of your kit. Was the best sounding one of all the solos I heard.

Keep up the great work.

Hi Gavin,

What country are you from? Do you know a shop that actually has the exact SQ2 you want? Usually it takes 10-12 weeks to order and build it. Personally I'd go for the SQ2 set.

I‘m from Brazil, but I have friends in England and Germany. They can order the SQ2 for me and I just need bring it to Brazil. I‘m just afraid about the possibility that air company don‘t take care of my drums and breaks or damage the drums during transport. This is the only problem. So it‘s easier take the DW.

I asked your council only to know if the SQ2 sound is better than DW, that the risk of transport is valid.

Do you have any recommendation to transport a drumset (only the shellpack) in an airplane?

Thank you for your patience and tips.

Hi Gavin,

I‘m from Brazil, but I have friends in England and Germany. They can order the SQ2 for me and I just need bring it to Brazil. I‘m just afraid about the possibility that air company don‘t take care of my drums and breaks or damage the drums during transport. This is the only problem. So it‘s easier take the DW.

I asked your council only to know if the SQ2 sound is better than DW, that the risk of transport is valid.

Do you have any recommendation to transport a drumset (only the shellpack) in an airplane?

Thank you for your patience and tips.

Hi Ritmico,

Follow the link below

http://www.mikedolbear.com/story.asp?StoryID=1526

Sonor takes care seriously the drum package, as you can see in the review.

Good luck

Gus.

Following the transcription makes me feel dizzy! What an awesome solo. And a terrific work to write it all out.

Hi Gavin

Love your drumming, very inspirational. ;)
I'm from Russia, currently sudying in the UK. Have you got any plans on having a clinic or something like that in Russia, in the future? :)

Last edited:
Back