Australia's flooding

Hard to fathom the Valley being affected. Brisbane in danger. This is extremely serious. There will be loads of snakes in those waters. Does anyone know if croc's are becoming a problem further north?

Right up north still isn't flooded, last I heard there was still some transport along the road from Rocky to Mackay.

Right up north still isn't flooded, last I heard there was still some transport along the road from Rocky to Mackay.

Cheers mate. Let's hope it stays that way.

Those poor bastards. I heard over 20 dead so far and many more missing.

The Valley is pretty much next to the Brisbane River, that's why it's at risk of flooding. I've been told that the Crocodiles at Australia Zoo up on the Sunshine Coast are being tied down so they don't escape!

My backyard is starting to fill up, looks like the stormwater drains aren't doing very well.

...makes one feel grateful to live in Victoria.

Yeah, until your arse catches fire. I remember fighting a fire in Gippsland back around 75 and watching the fire leap from eucalypt to eucalypt as it flew over me. Had to dig a hole that day. Victoria isn't that safe.

Does anyone know if croc's are becoming a problem further north?

It's been reported in the Brittish press that crocs are present in the flood waters. As far as I can gether from interviews with rescue personnel, the stories are exagerated. Snakes on the other hand are a major problem. Many home owners living in old Queenslanders (homes built high on stilts, for the non-Aussies), who have remained out of the water so far, are reportedly evacuating due to the snakes searching for dry ground and invading their properties. Rescue boats have also reported King Browns et al, trying to get into the boats as they've been motoring along trying to rescue people.......not my idea of a good day out at all!!

Mother Nature has unleashed its wrath in our countries...why?

There will no doubt be many theories. The best I can come up with is: bad things happen to good people every day of the year, the whole world round. When it's "at home" though, you tend to sit up and take a little more notice. Rightly or wrongly. ;-)

Good luck, Tropellor! My sister lives not so far from the Logan River and her crew have packed stuff in the car in case they have to evacuate.

After a decade of drought, it must be hard for Qld people to take (and even harder to plan for). Not so long ago there were high level water restrictions because the dams were running low. Now they are being forced to release water from dams.

Yeah, the floods are the only thing on the news. I was supposed to have my 18th this Saturday at the Brisbane Jazz Club, which is right on the Brisbane river (used to be a rowing clubhouse). So doesn't look like that'll be happening, the biggest hassle is that I've got family flying into Brisbane for my birthday, so I guess we'll have to find a way of getting them out (I live in Noosa on the Sunshine Coast). But even with that I'm still good :)

75 percent of QLD declared a disaster zone. Incredible. For those who do not live here, QLD is huge.

The worlds weather is constantly changing.
The weather is the most unpredictable thing that we all face from time to time.
I have lived in New England my entire life, and I take it all in stride.
We can have several years of drought, and then we can have flooding and snow that will not stop.
I know that it is often a disaster and a shock when whacky weather occurs, But it does happen frequently on our planet.

I feel really bad for the people.Its just horrible. I live right outside of New Orleans, La. Years later we have still not recovered from katrina. Some things here have changed for the better and some for the worse. I just really feel bad for the loss of life. Property can be replaced.....grass and trees replanted but life.....you cant replace a life.

QLD is 666,876 square miles in area. 75 percent of that is a lot of land. Three quarters of it are under deep water. Having driven around much of QLD I am atounded.

Yeah - The area of France and Germany combined, is underwater.

They are expecting the Brisbane River to peak around 4am Thursday (it's 1pm Wednesday now) so it's going to be interesting.

They say around 20,000 homes will be affected.

Interesting times ahead.

Wishing you all to be smart safe,and DRY.Saw some stuff tonight on the news,looks horrible!!

The Valley is pretty much next to the Brisbane River, that's why it's at risk of flooding. I've been told that the Crocodiles at Australia Zoo up on the Sunshine Coast are being tied down so they don't escape!

My backyard is starting to fill up, looks like the stormwater drains aren't doing very well.

You still with us mate? Brisbane is looking a bit grim. Keep us informed.

Good luck mate.

Yeah, until your arse catches fire. I remember fighting a fire in Gippsland back around 75 and watching the fire leap from eucalypt to eucalypt as it flew over me. Had to dig a hole that day. Victoria isn't that safe.

The fires came within an hour of my house back on Black Saturday a couple of years back.

I actually remember when I was younger a fire went through the pines where I used to live, that was terrifying, it takes a lot for those things to catch alight normally, but not on a 40+ degree day and when they go up, they explode.

One more minor shame about the flooding in Queensland, apart from the obvious major problems, is that it is going to be hard to find those beautiful Queensland Maple luthier's guitars now.

Yeah I reckon many things will be affected. I am still blown away at receiving an instrument in the mail in a soaking wet box.

There is talk of that weather heading down to NSW.

You still with us mate? Brisbane is looking a bit grim. Keep us informed.

Good luck mate.

Yeah - still here! High tide is expected in 9 hours, so we'll see what happens.

Lots of people freaking out - all of the supermarkets are sold out of basic supplies, people are just waiting to see what happens.

I think my house will be fine, my work is in The Valley, which is going to be hammered pretty hard.

Will keep you all posted.

Cheers mate. Good luck. I hope you are not off work for too long.

Amazing watching it on the news today. Rarely does an internal disaster get such airtime. Incredible scenes.

Thinking of you mate.

Man, the TV images dont look good. My Aussie geography is lousy, but I hope dah Aussie crew is doing ok? Wy seems fine, Polly is on dry land deep within Sydney somewhere, PFG, Gusty seem dry too..

Terrible thing to see people lose lives, homes.. hope y'all fight out this tragedy.

Back