Reccommend me a drum rack please!

Muse FTW

I'd like it to be a 3 sided rack (2 is also sufficient). Also, my budget is between $300-350. I'd do it myself but I honestly know nothing about drum racks except for the fact that Gibraltar's are really good.

This is a rack for my Tama Superstar Custom Hyperdrive 6pc. kit (including snare).

I also would like to know of anything else I would need to buy along with it (like clamps and whatnot.)

Lastly, I would like to know if it is possible to mount my floor toms. Right now, they are on legs, but have no way of being mounted on the rack. Since my tom toms are using the star-cast mounting system I was wondering if there was some attachment or something that I could attach to my floor toms to mount them.

Thanks in advance!

You're really limited on that budget to get a 2 or 3 sided rack with all the clamps you need. You're best bet is to buy used. Gibraltars are good, so are Pearl Icons and Tama racks. Start looking on like ebay or craigslist.

watch these auctions and see where they go:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pearl-Icon-Drum...ryZ41455QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pearl-DR-503-Ic...ryZ41455QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibraltar-drum-...ryZ47089QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You can get Gauger style or RIMS style isolation mounts for your floor tooms to mount them on the rack.

Since you're on a limited budget I'd recommend using the legs for the floor toms instead of purchasing extra parts to mount them on the rack. Also, mounting 12s and 14s are heavy so a rack that has a leg for the side arm would probably be best. My 2 cents.

OK, I checked the prices of the brands that I was looking at and I see that my budget is a little too low, so I'll raise it to $450, but that's all I can spend for now.

My set right now has 5 Cymbals (2 Crash, 1 Ride, 1, China, 1 Splash) and the hi hats, but I will be expanding it very soon.

I'll probably also get a side snare and another tom tom by the end of this year so I would like it to be a 3 sided rack.

Thanks again for the info. It really helps!

My set right now has 5 Cymbals (2 Crash, 1 Ride, 1, China, 1 Splash) and the hi hats, but I will be expanding it very soon.

I have a similar setup and I only need three stands (including the hi-hat stand) to accomodate all of them. Unless you're doubling your cymbal arsenal, using a rack is overkill.

Since you're on a limited budget I'd recommend using the legs for the floor toms instead of purchasing extra parts to mount them on the rack. Also, mounting 12s and 14s are heavy so a rack that has a leg for the side arm would probably be best. My 2 cents.

My 10 & 12 hang from a double tom holder in a single clamp, and my 14 is clamped to a cymbal arm holding my 20" ride, on a sidearm. I have no problems whatsoever. I do agree with the statement above, that unless you have more than just a basic setup, and/or you don't need it for particular placement, stay with stands.

I run as much as 6 crashes, 2 rides, splash, hats, cowbell, and china... all with stands. Oh, and 3 mounted toms but with a virgin kick. Heck, at home, I also use an aux snare and a gong drum. Boo racks.

Of course, I make every stand do double (or triple) duty. I only have one stand that doesn't have another clamp on it, and that's just because there's not enough space to place it (and I wouldn't have another cymbal to put there anyway). All in all, I have 16 items needing stands and only 7 tripods hitting floor. It's not bad. If I used this setup all the time, I'd probably go back to a rack setup... but I usually only use the "big" setup at home and pull out components for the individual gig.

Anyway, if you're really jonesing for a rack, buy mine. It's Gibraltar. $175 + shipping gets you one curved front bar, 2 vertical bars, 2 feet, 1 side extension, the T-tube clamps to make it all work, 6 (I think) multi-clamps for cymbal stands, tom mounts, etc, plus a few miscellaneous cymbal clamps that I haven't found a use for since ditching the rack. Oh, and you get a rolling bag that it all goes in.

If you want/need more, you can piece it together from eBay for FAR cheaper than what it would all cost new. OR you could just buy and cut the tube to your specs from your local home improvement store, then just pick up the clamps that you need.

I didn't skimp on a rack. I have a Gibraltar v-rack station and would not trade it for anything. I am encircled with stable goodness.

I basically want to eliminate stands because right now, because of space issues. I have my 2 tom toms on a double tom stand. I want to add another tom tom but there is no more room towards the right. Also, I have way too many stands that are just causing clutter on the floor. I figure that a rack would both eliminate the clutter of the stands AND allow me to add another tom tom to my setup.

Btw, would you guys recommend the Gibraltar V Rack over the Yamaha Hex Rack?
There is like a $200 difference in price and I'd like to know if any of you guys had any experience with either (because right now it seems that everybody is trying to convince me that racks are a bad idea)

Thanks again you guys have been really helpful so far.

I have quite a large set:

5 toms, 2 snares, bass drum, 3 crashes, 3 chinas, 2 splashes, 1 ride, hi hats, bell. But I don't need a rack. Everything holds up perfectly fine, no space issues; I can add 5 more toms if I want and still have everything sorted the way it is now. The only reason I would justify buying a rack is if I had to move my drum set a lot (gigs, travel etc.). But I have no need to do so at this moment.

If it is a personal preference of the cosmetic look of the set, don't let that bother you.....it's not about looks. I am just recommending, unless you really NEED a rack I would save your money for some other more necessary drum items. But if space really is the issue, then you have no choice but to get the rack.

Actually mine only has two sides - it just looks like three sides maybe because of the way I have my kit set up and the photo angle. I also have 2 of these stands as well http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa=series&sid=516&cid=30
You can see them in my signature photo below - one on the right and one on the left. I use them for cymbal stands.
They are Monsters.....very heavy but funtional and a nice addition to any rack/stand/harware setup.

I basically want to eliminate stands because right now, because of space issues. I have my 2 tom toms on a double tom stand. I want to add another tom tom but there is no more room towards the right. Also, I have way too many stands that are just causing clutter on the floor. I figure that a rack would both eliminate the clutter of the stands AND allow me to add another tom tom to my setup.

Btw, would you guys recommend the Gibraltar V Rack over the Yamaha Hex Rack?
There is like a $200 difference in price and I'd like to know if any of you guys had any experience with either (because right now it seems that everybody is trying to convince me that racks are a bad idea)

Thanks again you guys have been really helpful so far.

200 more= Yamaha name. The v-rack station offers all the rack I need. I spent the $200 I saved on tom and cymbal arms.

200 more is also non scratching, lightweight, durable, easier and more versatile setup.

Ok, now OBJECTIVELY this time---without the subjective declarative statements.

The yamaha is not easier or more versatile. It's also heavier than the v rack. Durable? That's to be determined, it's too new to make that call, so that statement is illogical.

They are both systems of clamp interlocking tubes that allow more tubes for equipment to be secured in multiple directions in some degree around the radius of the tubes. They both have stable footing and can be set up in almost infinite combinations.

Therefore, if anything, a smoothed tube has more available positions. Since clamping force prevents slippage, then the "hex" surfaces actually reduce positions by acting like stops along the 360 degree radial. This allows yamaha rotational memory clamp advantage in that the stops are more precisely where you left it, but it's not entirely necessary. Markings work just as well.

Not a fan of the more expensive yamaha, it's paying more for nothing special when looked at objectively.

Last edited:
Ok, now OBJECTIVELY this time---without the subjective declarative statements.

The yamaha is not easier or more versatile. It's also heavier than the v rack. Durable? That's to be determined, it's too new to make that call, so that statement is illogical.

They are both systems of clamp interlocking tubes that allow more tubes for equipment to be secured in multiple directions in some degree around the radius of the tubes. They both have stable footing and can be set up in almost infinite combinations.

Therefore, if anything, a smoothed tube has more available positions. Since clamping force prevents slippage, then the "hex" surfaces actually reduce positions by acting like stops along the 360 degree radial. This allows yamaha rotational memory clamp advantage in that the stops are more precisely where you left it, but it's not entirely necessary. Markings work just as well.

Not a fan of the more expensive yamaha, it's paying more for nothing special when looked at objectively.

Ok. First off all, im playing the Hex Rack for over half a year and Yamaha products (hardware, kits etc) for over 16 years. So i'm quite experienced and objective when it comes to Yamaha products.

When something is wrong I (and I hope all other drummers to) will let the company and other drummers now, like the cl945a tom clamp (where a bolt got worn off within 2 years) the carbon nouveau lugs (that are broke off to easily) and the LC930W locking clutch, where the locking part broke off after 2 months. Just because it helps the development of the products.

Im using the rack (sometimes quite intensivley) and it haven't has a scratch (fingerprints will attatch, but go off easy with a soft towel) So the things I say about the rack is based on experience.
Also I have some hardware from 15 years and older laying around, and still all working perfect, so my view is also based on a longer term experience with Yamaha hardware.

One of the advantages mentioned, they really are lighter than the Gibraltar/pearl/PDP/Yamaha Super Rack System etc. (also based on hands on experience, I had a Gibraltar, Dixon, Pearl ICON and Yamaha Super Rack before the Hex) And thats just beacuase the rack itself AND the clamps are lightweight stainles steel (I'm using 6 clamps of the older Super rack and you've noticed the amount of extra weight by tha clamps)

Not to mension that you don't need any memorylocks (for stop unwanted twisting etc) so only that advantage (lets say 6 clamps on the hex for 6 clamps AND 6 memory locks on a Gibraltar or PDP)

You say that marking is enough, but i'm not talking about marking. im talking about the advantage that you have with the free positioning ball clamp:

169624320_6_Cq5R.jpeg

(and the fact that you don't need any extra ''heavy'' locks and marking, is a nice + to)

And, when you using a ballclamp tom holder you have even more positioning options (IF you would wan that, I have enough possibility's with the ''L'' rod)

Now ALL the Other racks are great to and it depends on what you're favourites are, I just point out the pro's/speciallity's (altough you don't seem to feel like that) from the Hex Rack. its all a mather of personal taste.

I don't mind a good heavy discussion, but I do mind bashing when you don't now jack about the subject of bashing or his/her thinking ;)

Last edited:
Ok. First off all, im playing the Hex Rack for over half a year and Yamaha products (hardware, kits etc) for over 16 years. So i'm quite experienced and objective when it comes to Yamaha products.

My statement stands, it's too new to call it "durable" "Half a year" is nothing. 2-5 years is a a realistic time frame to say "durable" Duration, the root of durable requires a period of time far more than 6 months. What about Gibraltar racks that have been around over 10 years on the road?

When something is wrong I (and I hope all other drummers to) will let the company and other drummers now, like the cl945a tom clamp (where a bolt got worn off within 2 years) the carbon nouveau lugs (that are broke off to easily) and the LC930W locking clutch, where the locking part broke off after 2 months. Just because it helps the development of the products.

When something is wrong in half a year? That doesn't speak to durability. I hope that doesn't happen. As far as service and parts: Yamaha has been the slowest major brand I have ever dealt with. It took them almost a month to get an in stock snare to me.

Also I have some hardware from 15 years and older laying around, and still all working perfect, so my view is also based on a longer term experience with Yamaha hardware.
Which is not a hex rack.

Not to mension that you don't need any memorylocks (for stop unwanted twisting etc) so only that advantage (lets say 6 clamps on the hex for 6 clamps AND 6 memory locks on a Gibraltar or PDP)
I don't use memory locks, I use ultra lightweight markings, tape or etchings.

I don't mind a good heavy discussion, but I do mind bashing when you don't now jack about the subject of bashing or his/her thinking ;)

It's not about bashing, it's about objectivity. And nothing you spoke of proves your main points of 1) Lighter 2) More durable (impossible to determine at this point) 3) More versatile (that's subjective, at the end of the day, it's tubes and clamps).

I am sure it's a great product, yamaha stuff usually is. But when someone posts certain characteristics about a product that way, it seems way too exaggerated for yamaha, way too dismissive for tried and true gibraltar without certain things being provable. (I.E. any direction or thing that can be placed in any direction on on a yamaha rack, will do so equally on a gibraltar.)

Back