Matt Cameron

after posting comments on the Dave Abbruzzese thread, I've come to realise that there has been no thread about Matt Cameron in the past!!

What do you think of him? don't just say "meh, nothing special", in which case I will argue against it, proving he's special! = )

He was the first person to give me a big push in drumming and has been one of the biggest inspirations ever since (even after I discovered drummers like Steve Gadd and Dave Weckl) . Before I'd heard Soundgarden, I knew nothing about odd-time drumming and other skills, and his drumming just blew me away (the first Soundgarden album I bought was "Down On The Upside", which has some of his best drumming tracks imo).

his drumming has restrained in the past two pearl jam albums, but i love his poweful killer-fills on some of the songs.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Matt_Cameron.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt Cameron is a beast when he played with Soundgarden. The last I saw of him he was playing with Pearl Jam which just about bored me to tears. I defintely agree that his drumming on Down on the Upside is nothing short of amazing. He also plays spectacularly on Superunknown as well. Can't go wrong playing Ayotte drums either.

Matt, to this day, is one of my favorite drummers. His SG stuff by far his best work. When he joined PJ, I was excited because I like that band (although I was sad to see Dave leave). His drumming wasn't anything like SG, but just the same, it was solid. BTW, where did he go? I haven't heard much about him recently. Is he working on anything new? I hope so!

Cheers.

devilfish said:
BTW, where did he go? I haven't heard much about him recently. Is he working on anything new? I hope so!

Cheers.

Pearl Jam's working on a new album which is due to come out some time next year.
Also I think he's been working on Wellwater Conspiracy until now and also Pearl Jam have been doing charity concerts and going on a tour in Canada and things, but I'm not entirely sure about what happened to Wellwater Conspiracy. he's probably just been taking a break or something.

One of my personal all time favorites. I think John Tempesta (White Zombie, Helmet) called him the Steve Gadd of the heavy rock world. This sums it up for me, inventive beats/fills, super solid playing with great pocket. He also has an uncanny ability to play in weird times but make it sound straight which is one of the reasons SG are so wonderful.

Matt Cameron is one of my favorite drummers, and I also love Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. Matt Cameron is a really good drummer, one of the best surely of the Grunge era. He's also really good with timing and I only have Superunknown by Soundgarden, but it's amazing, and great backed by Matt Cameron.

In an old issue of Modern Drummer, he cites Tiki Fulwood of Funkadelic fame as a major influence ("Standing on The Verge Of Getting it On"). BTW, someone needs to start a thread for that unsung hero!

g

is it me or pearl jam plays their songs really fast live... is it matt's fault, or do they like to do that... i personally don't like songs like " given to fly " to be played so fast

i noticed that they played 'Even Flow' really fast every time after listening to a couple of bootlegs on the internet. i dont think it would be matt's fault as they played fast with jack irons as well. i've never been to a pearl jam concert so i don't know for sure though.

I was just thinking of making A thread about him but before I did I thought I'd check there wasn't already one about him becaues I've seen 3 Dave Abbruzzese threads but back to matt this guy is the whole reason I started playing drums I heard him on The pearl jam binaural Album and kept air drumming to it and thats how I learnt to play the drums then when I heard him on the soundgarden albums I thought that stuff was crazy all that odd time drumming when I heard that I thought (What the buck) and I really like limo wreak its one of my favorites which he wrote I think

sween said:
. He also has an uncanny ability to play in weird times but make it sound straight which is one of the reasons SG are so wonderful.

I read an interview with Matt Cameron some years ago, and he explained that for the first few albums, he was not even aware that they were playing in odd times. Nobody in the band at the time was a "literate" musician. He only learned to count them out later, and all his odd-time playing before that was just intuitive.

aegir77 said:
is it me or pearl jam plays their songs really fast live... is it matt's fault, or do they like to do that... i personally don't like songs like " given to fly " to be played so fast

They play crazy fast live. I think their live albums sound like ass, personally. I still love their first two albums, though. Matt Cameron and Dave Abbruzese were the drummers that influenced me the most for the first coulpe of years.

matt is amazing he's actually back with yamaha last i knew but his fills are amazing along with such odd time but check out temple of the dog which has him and chris along with guys from mother love bone(future Pearl jam) he has just the perfect amount of tastefullness and difficulty in all his fills and grooves.

Im surprised no one has mentioned his drumming on the tune "Jesus Christ Pose" from Soundgarden. The tune was actually built around this groove.
I love this groove, one of my favorites.
for those that want to give it a listen (you wont be disapointed) here is a link to this song performed live. It may take a few minutes to load up, but well worth it.

http://web.stargate.net/soundgarden/songs/9608/jcp-920305.au

jesus christ pose is a really good groove. one of my favorites of all time is mind riot i took it to my teacher and he instantly thought of gadd which i thought was pretty cool. check out wooden jesus by temple of the dog which is such a cool groove.

how could you Not appriciate Cameron's playing, being a lover of drumming and music? Hearing Steve Gadd, Cobham and other classic groove-smiths, Cameron's playing parellels some of that..There's no way i could imagine any other drummer with SG as Cameron's playing was pretty irreplacable in that band. Experimentation, slight prediliction toward off-beat grooves and fills, and a lot of attitude in earlier SG stuff like Badmotorfinger and Louder Than Love. I can't really speak for the awesomeness of his sideproject stuff like Wellwater or anything else as i've never heard much of it. Heard him playing with PJ, sounded okay.

Him and Kim Thayl were the 2 whom i always thought became the center-force of Soundgarden.

Matt is my favorite drummer ever! no other drummer can make such powerful, creative, killer fills like matt cameron does, his sound is an explosion and In-your-face, I just cant get enough of his drumming :D

You all should go now and listen to one of his best performances: "Soundgarden - My Wave"
If you are not yet convinced.
take care.

Back