DW 9000 pedal users please chime in...

I have one, but just got it. Too many other things to play around with before getting to the chain/strap. No complaints about the chain though - I'll probably leave it 'as-is' for quite a while.

I do have other pedals that use a strap drive and like them. Not a huge difference to me.

Thanks for the response, I was beginning to wonder if I were alone :). I agree the pedal has plenty to tinker with!

Yup it sure does count.

Well, you'll think I'm being negative about the pedal, but I was into it and it has a great feel. But the engineering sorta turned me off when I tried to deal with the spring on the inside of the post (as opposed to the outside where you can get to it. Everytime I wanted to make an adjustment to the spring tension, I had to take the pedal off the bass drum to fiddle with it. It looked cool upon first inspection but in practice it was a PITA. I quickly went back to using my ol' standby, the DW5000 pedal, and then eventually left DW altogether for simpler equipment.

But the 9000 feels really good and solid, as do all DW pedals. I just miss when they were this small company and they just bought the Camco design. If you look at the original Camco pedal and compare it to todays' 9000, alot of over-engineering has happened.

I don't have a DW 9000 pedal and never have, but I use the Camco design for years, my comment is in regard of the chain vs strap in the OP.

I played most of my drummer's life with chain driven pedals, but 2 years ago, I switched to the strap drive and I have to say, the feel is much better for me, more direct, more supple, lighter than chain and I've gain much in control and accuracy.

I used a 5002 for ten years, loved it. I've been using the 9002 for the last 5 or 6 years now, and love it too. Yes, the 9000 does have alot of adjustments, but it only took me one day of tinkering with to get it where I wanted it. BTW, I'm using the chain drive on mine.

There are a lot of adjustments that can be made, but most are a 'set it and forget it' type thing.
The spring adjustment is also like that. Not convenient at all. But once everything's dialed in for the response I want, I'll probably leave it alone.
Changing from the chain to the strap to try it out looks like a simple enough procedure, and I'll probably try it sometime down the road, but not right now.

Agree with Bo on the chain adjustment..it is definitely not as easy to adjust (with it on the inside of post)...I had the 9000's for about 5 yrs. before leaving them for Axis about 6 mos. ago..

I'd say (like Bo) that the spring adjustment inside the post is the only gripe I have with it. If you tell that to the DW reps, they'll bombard you verbally with the smoothness you get by attaching a spring to the cam. Anyways though, it is a buttery smooth pedal. I use the chain, but it's now on the practice pad after moving to the Tricks.

I've always wondered the advantages of a strap to a chain?

I'd say (like Bo) that the spring adjustment inside the post is the only gripe I have with it. If you tell that to the DW reps, they'll bombard you verbally with the smoothness you get by attaching a spring to the cam. Anyways though, it is a buttery smooth pedal. I use the chain, but it's now on the practice pad after moving to the Tricks.

After years of settling on the chain, I've finally moved back to a strap sometime earlier this year and have been loving it. It just feels a bit lighter and when I go to slam, it really feels like it. With how strong they're making straps these days, I doubt I'd ever go back to using a chain linkage. I've de-modified a Tama Iron Cobra Jr. by putting a cam and a strap on it, and when I went to a new Iron Cobra, I got the Flexi-Glide with the strap. Both amazing feels.

If the spring adjuster placement really does help with the smoothness, I can live with it.
I can change tension in about 10 seconds or so, without removing the pedal.
And this pedal is smooth - for sure.

Are you using strap or chain? Explain your preference?

About this ^^^^.

I currently have 9 pedals - 4 have strap and 5 have chain drive. For almost all of the many years I've been playing, I only used strap drive. It's only in the last year that I've gotten some chain drive pedals.
I'll say that there was no 'adjustment' period, as in getting used to a different feel or anything like that.
If there's a difference because of weight or friction or any other factor, it's insignificant (at least to me), in the overall scheme of pedal land.

I'm with Bo on the adjustment of the DW 9000 series single bass drum pedal. I used one for about a year, but have switched back to an Iron Cobra. The IC has more adjustments that suit me anyway. The pedal height is one that is important for me. I just can't get the right height with the DW 9000.

Thanks for all of the replies.

Some will laugh but I developed a technique on the DW 5000 pedal for adjusting the spring tension with one hand, which I now use on the 9000.

You loosen the round top nut multiple turns, then push down on it (the round nut) with forefinger and thumb which displaces the long hex head nut on bottom from the pedal frame. Just use the pinky on same hand to spin the hex nut right or left, then let go and spring snaps it back into place, twist to insure it is seated properly then retighten the round lock nut back down and viola. Seriously this takes all of 30 seconds to accomplish. Hardest part to me is clearing the belly from my drum throne!

Thanks for all of the replies.

Some will laugh but I developed a technique on the DW 5000 pedal for adjusting the spring tension with one hand, which I now use on the 9000.

You loosen the round top nut multiple turns, then push down on it (the round nut) with forefinger and thumb which displaces the long hex head nut on bottom from the pedal frame. Just use the pinky on same hand to spin the hex nut right or left, then let go and spring snaps it back into place, twist to insure it is seated properly then retighten the round lock nut back down and viola. Seriously this takes all of 30 seconds to accomplish. Hardest part to me is clearing the belly from my drum throne!

Yep - that's pretty much what I've been doing, but using both hands. I'll have to give your method a try.
Time it once - it really does take about 10 seconds once you've got your hands on it. You can do it much faster than to write about it. I don't think the spring placement is that big of a deal. I haven't had to change a spring though. Might have to remove the pedal to do that.

Actually guys, I suppose the spring tension adjustment thing isn't too bad. Only when I first got the pedal years back, did I have to fiddle with it to dial in the magical tension (both hands of course).

Unless you have specific songs that require radical tension adjustments, you're good to go until you decide on another feel.

This is the smoothest pedal I've played and I love the single. I wish they packaged the double with an industrial grade U joint axle. They sell an upgrade for $320. Unfortunately that prices it
into the Trick Pedal category.

I've got the new DW9002 pedal. Works fantastic, offers every adjustment you can think of, and seems to be sturdy. Sure, you can complain about the spring being inside the support, but really...who the hell changes spring tension that much?

Back