Tony Williams "blushda"

supermac

I'd be keen to get this technique off.

I've watched it on a couple of videos, but can't quite get it.

I hear it as a kind of swiss triplet with extra notes.

Any info on the sticking would be appreciated.

sticking for me is rLrr l .. accent the capital L (i play it more like a fast paradiddle with an extra note at the end or you can play the 1st rl as a flam then rrl.. this is one of those fills that's a lot easier than it sounds

First play rL r L, then double the middle r:

.1 2+ 3
rL rr L

Work on making the phrasing more flowing by playing all strokes at a similar rhythmic value -- essentially as a group of five -- like this:

1 2 3 4 5
r L r r L

Play the previous two rhythms back to back in different tempos and try to make it flow nicely. Orchestrate the strokes any way you like.

First play rL r L, then double the middle r:

.1 2+ 3
rL rr L

Work on making the phrasing more flowing by playing all strokes at a similar rhythmic value -- essentially as a group of five -- like this:

1 2 3 4 5
r L r r L

Play the previous two rhythms back to back in different tempos and try to make it flow nicely. Orchestrate the strokes any way you like.

Why isn't it just called a flam drag? Why make it a Blushda or Tony Williams -lick or anything like that. It's a basic rudiment.

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments/30flamdrag.php

The flam drag's sticking alternates and the blushda's sticking doesn't... but that's just splitting hairs.

Yeah, but the movement of the hands is the same. And to be honest if I play a five stroke roll I almost always play the first half of it without alternating. So I don't think we need to name it differently. This exactly why we practice rudiments, makes everything so much more easy: OP: "How does Tony Williams play this blushda thing here?" DW:"just play the first half of a flam drag and orchestrate the right hand on the toms" OP:"ok".

Thanks guys,

This is what makes this a must-use site for drummers.

Great explanations and cool links.

Right, now I'm off to blushda!

Back