help, Need New Metal Drum heads

scoreking81

Ok So I got my ddrum dios maple kit about a month ago and i got aquarian response 2 heads with it. I dont love these heads or the stock ddrum reso heads that came with the kit so i need some new stuff. i want a really good punchy sound cuz i play a lot of metal. I was looking at aquarian's studio X series because i really like my aquarian Hi Energy snare head, also please make me good reccomendations for batter and reso heads please

I'd try a couple heads you like the description of it's sound on ONE DRUM FIRST to see if you really like the sound. Then you'll be more confident in buying a whole set of them.

Head companies give pretty nice descriptions of their heads on their websites.

Good luck!

Evans EC2/EC Reso would give a punchy, deep tone.

If you play in band, stray away from EC2 batters. They just dont cut through the mix. I would try G2s over ECs to get good volume and resonance but still keeping that good attack.

EC2 Clear over G1 or EC reso. Great head for metal, on my second set after using G2 clears for many years.

Ok im thinking of using Evans Hydrualic Black heads on the batter sides and Onyx Resos on the Reso side, is this a good combo and is it gonna give me some sustain? I also really like the sound of George Kollias and Joey Jordison and Chris Adlers Toms

Last edited:
For a LOT of punch with little sustain, Aquarian's Performance II's can't be topped.

If you want a little more tone, Evans Onyx over G1's!

The Evans Hydraulic sound the same no matter what colour you get, keep that in mind.

And i'm surprised that no one has even mentioned the famous coated G2/clear G1 combo.
Sounds great, it's a very popular choice amongst metal drummers, the G2's are very durable and they're good for tom and snare heads.

For me and many others, that's a must have head combination hands down. 10/10
xoxo

Ok so now im thinkin maybe Onyx on batter wit G1 on reso?

I dunno if Metal drum heads would sound too good. Might sound rather tinny. :)

You could just get any old heads and put approx. 3 rolls of duct tape per tom. Seems to be the norm for quite a few metal drummers...

-Jonathan

If you don't like the Response II's for Metal, then try the Performance II's. They are a bit more heavyweight and muffled than the Studio X's. Studio X's are kind-of in between the Response and Performance heads from what I've heard, but I've never played them.

When I buy new heads for my kit, I'm getting Performance heads, I want that deep, thundering 80's Trash sound. I think they'll get the job done, and they are cheaper than evans.

Oh, and Aquarian website recommends Classic Clear for reso. I have them on my kit now, and they do a pretty good job. Haven't had time to experiment with different reso heads though.

Really? Cool, do u happen to have any video/sound clips?

sorry to sort-of hijack this thread for a second but how do Coated G2s compare to Onyx heads.

I would go to the evans site and compare them. Those are pretty much opposite ends of the spectrum though.

O thats wierd i was lookin at some of ur vids the other day, but how do the onyx heads compare to the aquarians? and also i thought u said u wer using g1's on reso but in the vid u said aquarian reso, was this a mistake or wat?
Also
How would the aqurian response 2''s work for resos? good or bad?

Last edited:
Back