New EC2

If you are talking about the EC2 SST heads I have a set coming Wednesday. I'll let you know.

Noticeably better than the old version.

Just to throw this out there, we just got a shipment of them in, and their cost is effectively lower than that of regular EC2s. Interesting to see the quality difference.

I just got back from GC minutes ago where I played a Pearl Reference with the new EC2 heads and I thought they were horrible. Waaay too dead. But some people like that, I guess.

Myself, I'd rather use a G2 and dampen as necessary. I don't want to replace my head$ if I think they're too dead.

I just replaced my heads with EC2 SST's on the top and G1's for reso. They sound nice and dampened. I had ambassadors on them before, and the EC2's are a nice change.

I haven't heard these sst's, but I bought a set of regular coated ec2's . I put one on my 12" tom, and didnt even bother changing my 16". I put my G1 back on, it was that bad. Overkill with deadening.

I put them on my toms last night and have been tweeking tonight. I have my four toms tightened just above wrinkle maybe 1/2 turn and they sound a little less resonate than the G2's I had on before. I will keep tweeking and get them right.

p.s. I am also using clear this time and my G2's were coated.

thanks for the responses. I'm going to GC after school tomarrow to pick up heads for my 12" tom I've already decieded that the reso head is going to be a G1 not sure about the batter yet.

Although slightly off thread, I use EC1's and they work very well on very resonant shells. Just the right level of dampening to keep things under control. I tried EC2's and found them to be too dead.

thanks for the responses. I'm going to GC after school tomarrow to pick up heads for my 12" tom I've already decieded that the reso head is going to be a G1 not sure about the batter yet.

Maybe take the tom with you and gently put the heads on and see how they sound. You can tap them with your knuckles to get an idea and leave no stick marks.

Love the G2's and will go back to them but wanted to try a clear head without a lot of ovretones.

FWIW: I've had both the original clear EC2's and coated G2's (currently on there) on my YMCAN toms. I've enjoyed G2's more as I felt the EC2's were less resonant for my tastes.

IMHO, the Evans G Plus is somewhere between the two. It leans more toward the EC2 but has a bit more resonance. The G Plus come in clear and 'coated' - coated in this case being frosted and not traditional white coating like coated G2's have. I believe the clear versions of G Plus heads might be a good way to go for the OP.

FYI: My next change of tom heads for my stay at home YMCAN set is going to be either Aquarian Super 2's (2ply)or Satin Texture coated(single ply).

I've had three sets of EC heads. A set of clear and frosted EC2s and a set of clear EC1s.

These heads need to be cranked up to at least medium tension. Drum Dial 75 or above. Then they start to sing and produce a nice tone.

HTH

I would stick with the clears. The frosty Evans coating sounds awful to my ears.

The kid is rocking EC1 clears playing rock unmiked, and they're terrific.

I would stick with the clears. The frosty Evans coating sounds awful to my ears.

The kid is rocking EC1 clears playing rock unmiked, and they're terrific.

I have a coated G Plus on my 14" floor tom (got it for free when I bought my other heads, so I put the Coated Ambassador I originally had on the floor tom for not too long on my snare to replace my beat up Reverse CS Dot) , and while my experience with the coated EC2s matches your impression of Evans' frosty coating, I was quite surprised to hear that the Coated G Plus had less attack than even the Coated Ambassadors on the other toms.... Substantially less even.

I'm thinking next reskin I might go G Pluses top and bottom all around for toms. I think they're great.

Back