Tama Superstar Hyperdrive - I'm in Love

my drums right now sound almost exactly like that, such a great sound.

its really up to you which one you buy

if you like short stack toms, go for superstar
if you want a standard kit, Pro M

both have the potential to sound like that aaron spears' clip

awesome! how do you tune your joey snare?
i have mine tuned really high for that sweet pop it gives.
no regrets at all about buying that snare, or the kit for that matter,

your regrest should be about listening to slipknot. jkjk

These are the repacements to the tama rockstars right>

Nevermind I just reread the thread and saw you use coated ambassadors. Their was one thing i just realized would I be able to get the shorter floor toms to the height i want since i am around 6' 3" and sit pretty high on the drumset.

your regrest should be about listening to slipknot. jkjk

These are the repacements to the tama rockstars right>

i actually hate slipknot, really really cant stand them, but love the snare. haha

these are replacing the standard superstar line (standard sized toms)
which i think is pretty silly
because not everyone likes short stack toms so they'd probably lose
a lot of potential buyers...

Their was one thing i just realized would I be able to get the shorter floor toms to the height i want since i am around 6' 3" and sit pretty high on the drumset.

the floor toms arent any shorter than a standard kit,
so you could easily get them to the height you want.

i also sit pretty high and was worried about this but i had no trouble at all with them

yah, but aren't the superstars the replacement to the rockstars? and tama still sells the original superstars. nice kit btw, i don't know if i said that in my previous post. I really like the set up and the finish. I think tama offers by far the best product for your money. but thats just me.

yah, but aren't the superstars the replacement to the rockstars? and tama still sells the original superstars. nice kit btw, i don't know if i said that in my previous post. I really like the set up and the finish. I think tama offers by far the best product for your money. but thats just me.

i looked it up and yeh, the superstars are replacing the rockstars which is
a good thing i think.
there was a huge discussion on tama discontinuing the standard sized superstars
on this site a while ago, maybe tama finally realised what a bad decision that was.

and BTW, so true about tama offering the best value for money, unbelievable price on this

Do the Floor Toms come with memory locks? How are the Bass drum spurs, pretty solid? Looking to get one...The custom version in Dark Desert Burst...bigger sizes though 24, 12,13, 16, 18.

Thanks!

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/product/images/drum_kit/SL-HD-SET08-DDB.jpg

the floor toms dont come with memory locks, but i wouldn't worry about that.
they havent moved a millimeter since i set them.

and the bass drum spurs are very solid, i also thought about this when i
saw it for the first time but was pleasantly surprised.

the 18" floor tom on the kit you would is gonna have a serious rumble to it
if my 16" is something to go by...

thanks nimby!...i'll probably have to get some kind of generic lock then to set the legs. not worried about them slipping, just need to get them from the cases to show position quickly...

thanks again!

Do the Floor Toms come with memory locks? How are the Bass drum spurs, pretty solid? Looking to get one...The custom version in Dark Desert Burst...bigger sizes though 24, 12,13, 16, 18.

Thanks!

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/product/images/drum_kit/SL-HD-SET08-DDB.jpg

I'm all over these! I just ordered my 6pc in Dark desert burst with a 18x22" kick drum!
The instore display (SK wrap) sounded so awesome ..just the sound I was looking for to track our new CD in the studio! I was close to getting a set of Starclassic Performer birch, til I found out they were discontinued! With the SS hypers..I don't need to spend the extra $$$$ AWESOME kits! Mine should be in on the 24th of April!!! Can't wait!

Just tried the exact kit, same brushed blue, same sizes. Loved it so much I bought it on the spot. Most stunning looking kit ive seen in a while. Sounds like a kit twice its price. The toms really sing and the bass is SICK!

Oh my god, I love that finish! Yeah I was thinking about upgrading to a Superstar, but my local dealer doesn't carry Tama anymore! Crazy huh?!

had a few kits in the past and for metal or anything fast the resonance and rebound from these drums is completely untouchable in the price range

Hi all! New member here!

Got my Superstar Hyperdrive this week. It is my first drumkit since I sold my Starclassic Maple 9 years ago.

I got the SL52HX in Gray Pewter. It looks fantastic. :)

The 13x6 snare and especially the 22x20 kick sound really great, but I have some problems to get the toms to sound good. I changed the heads to Emperors, but the sound didn't get a lot better than with the stock heads. I can't really explain the problem, as I don't know the correct English term, but I would describe the sound as unpleasant ringing overtones. Anyone experienced this also?

Maybe it is me and my lack of tuning skills, or it's the hyperdrive sizes (well, I also don't like the sound of the floor tom, which is normal size).

Another little complaint: the brushed nickel hardware looks great, but it scratches quite easily (at least it is more visible than with standard hardware).

Attachments

• DSCF0034e.jpg
    DSCF0034e.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 12,308
Last edited:
This is the exact arrangement I want in my next kit! I love the double floor toms and two rack toms to the left of the kick.

The Hyperdrives are amazing. I played one at drumfest and i was totally blown away by the sound. the toms are so punchy, its great! And they look awesome too. A friend of mine brought a set a few weeks ago with the white finish and he's really pleased with them.

I had the ringing problem with my kit when I bought it too. Tried EC2 coated's at first, then I picked up the Evans Black hydraulic 2-plys and now it's got the punch and short sustain I was looking for. I didn't swap the resonants because I didn't want to deaden it too much, and now after a fine tuning, it's just right. No ring, no muddy tones.

Thats a nice looking kit btw!

Back