One Hit Wonders

Re: one HIT wonders

"Turning Japanese" by The Vapors, a great record IMHO, and produced by Queen's drummer Roger Taylor.

Roy.

I head somewhere (grain of salt, I have no idea where) that the singer is now an atty specializing in entertainment

---

I always kind of thought as Falco as a two hit wonder -- I think Der Kommissar did relatively well (at least in some countries) but not sure where is charted in the US

----

I suppose Thomas Dolby is one - which I always find a bit odd I suppose, he's got some nice work that seems quite well received, but I don't think it hit that "top 40" billboard status

I think the Dead may (not sure) also be a OHW by a US top 40 type definition too!

Re: one HIT wonders

"U Can't Touch This" by M.C. Hammer
BZZZT! You lose. Hammer had a few big hits including Pray and Too Legit To Quit.

In a gada da vida, by Iron Butterfly ( the first rock drum solo ever )
Great song, but Cream's Toad, featuring Ginger Baker's 5 minute solo came out two years before Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida. Live versions of the solo lasted upwards of 20 minutes.

Genius of Love by Tom Tom Club
How Bizarre by O.M.C.
Human by Human League
Tom's Diner by Susanne Vega

Last edited:
'99 red balloons'- Nina.

Technically a 2 hit wonder as she did the same song in German '99 luftballoon' and it was a hit too.

"They Are Coming To Take Me Away HA HA" - Napoleon XVI (16)

The flip side of the 45 rpm was the song backwards.

Blast from my past, thanks, 3 ply

Anybody remember "Mexican Radio" by Wall of Voodoo?

That could be a OHW.

Blast from my past, thanks, 3 ply

Anybody remember "Mexican Radio" by Wall of Voodoo?

That could be a OHW.

Hi... You must be older than dirt like me to remember that one...

Possibly the first un-intentionally recorded rap song ????

I remember that tune well (Mexican Radio) it was at the beginning of MTV, had a funky video and was quite the catchy tune.

I can't remember the title of another song but it was done by Snoopy and the Red Barons... I guess the rules are no Wiki ???

Oh...another.... Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead (not form the Wizard of Oz movie... 65-67 ish)

Ice Ice Baby.

If his rhyme was a drug he would sell it by the gram.

I like the line from Norman Greenbaums song, "Spirit in the Sky"...'I got a friend in Jesus'
His parents probably murdered him after hearing that, that's why you never heard from him again.

OK Pol I caught you red handed. You didn't read the previous posts because if you had, you'd see that the flip side was mentioned only a few posts ago. You got some 'splainin to do Looocy! Admit it!

Or were you being cheeky?

LOL such hypocrisy! Busted badly. I didn't expect anyone else would be geriatric enough to remember that old thing.

I shall now embark on a vigorous session of self flagellation ...

Video footage as proof of punishment please.

I'm a one hit wonder. My ghosting skills are crap, and I wonder what the hell I'm doing trying to turn away from my beloved backbeat.

Alas, I don't have video recorder ... but here's the soundtrack.

Has anyone mentioned World Party's Ship of Fools or is that another massive fail on my part? :) ... whatever, even if the lyrics are preachy, great groove, piano and vocs.

Back