G1 Vs. Ambassador - What's your pick?

JesusMySavior

Silver Member
Some people say they are essentially the same head, others say they can detect a difference.

Why do you prefer the G1 or G2 over the Ambassador or Emperor? Clear? Coated?

Share your experience...

I like the G2 and Emperor pretty evenly, but I like the sound of an Ambassador better than a G1.
The G1 is nice for a throatier sound, but I like the drier, crispness of an Ambassador.
That's how they sound for me. For someone else, they might sound different.

I like the G2 and Emperor pretty evenly, but I like the sound of an Ambassador better than a G1.
The G1 is nice for a throatier sound, but I like the drier, crispness of an Ambassador.
That's how they sound for me. For someone else, they might sound different.

+1

I've used coated G2's for quite awhile. That head is the head for my 5 x 13 Maple Pork Pie. Just seems to work.
I have a G1 on my '66 Acrolite. Frankly, you have to put effort in to make that drum sound bad. I've tried several heads on that drum including a Remo CS Dot and an Aquarian Satin Texture coated and they all sounded good in different ways. The G1 feels great out of the box for brushes and sounds good but I'm missing a little mojo that I think a Remo Ambassador might give me.

I bought the head at GC for $5 during one of their Memorial Day sales so it was small out of pocket for trying it out.

I've used a few different Evans heads on snares, toms and bass drum. The G1 is probably not at the top of the list for me although a bunch of Evans heads have sounded killer. The Power Center Reverse Dot is especially cool. I have EQ4/EQ3 heads on my Yamaha and they sound great too.

I just started trying Remo's out after a long time not using them so I'm in test mode. I have found that the Remo Ambassadors have a certain sound that I am enjoying right now.

Jim

I've found that Remo's coating goes very quickly compared to Evans. So Evans it is for me (except for the PS3 on my bass drum, which is just heavenly).

neither, i like aquarian studio x, clear on toms and coated on snares, acording to aquarian the classic clear or the texture coated is the same as the g1 or ambassador , clear and coated respectively, but i like the little bit of control the studio x has with the thin piece of power dot material around the inside edge of the head.

I've used all Remo products for more than forty five years until I tried Evans heads. I still do use Remo heads on one of my kits. I've found that the coatings on the Remo products flake off much more redily than the Evans heads. When I bought my last set of drums last year, I didn't have them for a week before the 12" tom was exhibiting a dime sized area where the coating should have been, and I;m not a heavy hitter at all. I love the sound and looks of Remo heads, but the coating issues throughout the years made me go looking elsewhere. I just have too many drums to try to chase the disappearing coatings, lol.

Dennis

I am an Evans guy, but that is just my opinion. I have used the clear G2 over clear G1 on many of my toms, and they have all sounded good. Peace and goodwill.

The G1 and Ambo Definitely SOUND different.

The Ambassador to me sounds a little crisper. But I always felt the G1 sounds dryer.

Anyways, 1+ for the Ambassador (even though Evans G1 coated will last 2-3 times as long, I STILL like the remo)

I am an Evans guy, but that is just my opinion. I have used the clear G2 over clear G1 on many of my toms, and they have all sounded good. Peace and goodwill.

Interesting. Although the question has to do with G1 vs Ambassador not g2 vs emperor.
Anyway that aside, Drumolator, have you ever tried an Ambassador? What does I am an Evans guy mean anyway? do you work for the company? just curious because you sound very devoted and I was just wondering if you receive free drum heads from Evans.

In regards to the question I'll take a fresh one of each pls. I like em both the same for slightly different reasons.

No, I am an English teacher in a public school. I live in the boondocks. Evans heads tune up right out of the box and stay in tune better than any other heads. Ambassadors are good heads, but I prefer the G1. Actually, I miss the Evans Uno 58 1000 single-ply coated head. I have used just about every head out there for toms and snares, bass drum not so much.

Most people seem to think that the more choices the better, but not me. I settled on Evans a while back, and they make enough different heads for me. I still try something else every once in a while. In the same way, I am also a Sabian guy; they have enough choices for me. Peace and goodwill.

I like them both equally. I also like the Aquarian single ply contender.
I use both coated and clear, I use both 2 ply and 1 ply coated and clear as batter heads and 1 ply coated and clear reso heads.
The combination depends on the kit, drum, and music style.

I like the g2's better than the emperors. Coated. The emperors I used to have sounded kind of dull and were hard to tune. The new g2's added a whole new level of punch and warmth that just blew my mind.

Same with clear g1 instead of ambassador on resonant side.

Even though I do prefer the SOUND of the Ambassador, I will admit Evans drum Heads (general speak ring) stay in tune and are Easier to tune than their Remo Equivalents.

And their coating Definitely last Longer also (as most people will admit).

another vote for g1's g2's and evans ST on my snares. Only remo head I ever use is PS3 clear bass heads. I haven't had an issue with an evans snare head and they last why change it up.

Evans fit better, than Remo, on my drums. I can't say " the better fit" makes any difference in sound though

I find that on toms I can get a lower tuned sweet spot with the Remos. I feel I have to tune the Evans higher and I prefer a medium low tune. The coating seems better on the Evans, but if they don't sound as good, what's the point?

I can hear a difference between them and preferred the G1. I recently tried Aqurian heads and would have to go with the Aqurian texture coated over both of them. as far as coated heads goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton

The G1 and Ambo Definitely SOUND different.

The Ambassador to me sounds a little crisper. But I always felt the G1 sounds dryer.

Anyways, 1+ for the Ambassador (even though Evans G1 coated will last 2-3 times as long, I STILL like the remo)

I had the Evans heads on for quite a while, but the Ambassador lasts just as long for me. I had a set of Coated Amb. heads on a rehearsal kit last at least 4 years before changing them--and they still sounded good. I could have left them, and they probably would have lasted another 6 months (the way they were going), but I thought I should change them anyway.

I've never had any coating problems with any Remo head. I play hard rock and use double butt sticks, and I don't dent Coated Ambassador heads at all either. They are all I use anymore. Bass drum batter as well.

Guys I know (play shows with, sit in, help out etc...) that play lighter than me dent heads all the time. I never get how it happens though, because it just seems weird that they aren't striking the drum hard, and they get dents (in different brand heads too). Happened last Saturday night at a benefit, my band was towards the end of the bill, and by the time I got up there, the Texture Coated Aquarian heads were all dented, and the 12 sounded like paper (16 was OK). I tuned them up for the band who put on the show (one band before I played) and the heads were kind of a mess--and these guys all play lighter than me.

The coating on the Aquarian's held up great though, not a nick on them. Just dents. Could be that (to me) Aquarian's do sound better when the tension is lower, but that would seem to lead to more denting no?

The NEW film Aquarian is using is different than the last 10 years or so, Before that (10 years ago) their film did not dent on me at all. I quite liked their heads and sound. I haven't tried any of the NEW film heads as of yet.

Neither, Aquarian classic clear or studio x, IMO Remo is the bottom of the barrel these days, they used to be #1 I but find they have riding on their reputation the last few years. With all the dead heads and coating issues its either Evans or Aquarian and I find both equally good and only prefer Aquarian due to the fact they last a bit longer and have a lower price, around here you can almost buy a batter and a reso from Aquarian for the price of an Evans batter.

Back