The Vintage Thread.

New member. I like vintage drums and noticed there wasnt a thread dedicated to Vintage drums.

I'll get the ball rolling.

Specs:

1962 (?) Premier Olympic

Pre International sizes (to closest inch)

12" x 8" Tom
16" x 16" Floor tom
20" x 14" Bass drum

Boston Gigster snare

14" x 4"

Cymbals

15" Ajax Super high hats - I know these have a terrible rep, but they sound awesome.
20" Sabian Artisan Medium Ride
22" Sabian Artisan Light Ride

Original hardware except the crash stand.

Attachments

• SS850495.JPG
    SS850495.JPG
    885.4 KB · Views: 4,178
  • SS850496.JPG
    SS850496.JPG
    918.6 KB · Views: 4,197
  • SS850497.JPG
    SS850497.JPG
    831.4 KB · Views: 3,940
  • SS850500.JPG
    SS850500.JPG
    715.1 KB · Views: 3,913
  • SS850501.JPG
    SS850501.JPG
    950.6 KB · Views: 3,796
  • SS850505.JPG
    SS850505.JPG
    767.2 KB · Views: 3,926
Well, I'll start with this early seventies Preimer kit in a black diamond pearl finish.
9x13
16x16
14x22
0812071645aeditedcy7.jpg

My 1971 Slingerlands. Was a chrome wrap and now a pink sparkle wrap. All bearing edges were re-cut and the plies needed re-gluing. 3 ply shells, outer ply is mahogany, middle ply is poplar and inner ply is maple. Using coated ambassadors on top and clear ambassadors on bottom. Nice retro sound. The bass drum had an EMAD single ply with an Aquarian regulator front. Nice deep punch, not retro but I like the deepness.

Attachments

• Slingerland1%20004.JPG
    Slingerland1%20004.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 3,054
  • Slingerland1%20003.JPG
    Slingerland1%20003.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 3,122
  • Slingerland1%20002.JPG
    Slingerland1%20002.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 3,132
  • Slingerland1%20001.JPG
    Slingerland1%20001.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 3,095
  • slingerlandold2.jpg
    slingerlandold2.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 3,230
  • slingerlandold1.jpg
    slingerlandold1.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 3,305
...thw early seventies Premier kit That I just picked up.

barry

what are the restrictions for "vintage"?
i have an early '92 slingerland maple 20 12 14 kit.
its not an antique but is it vintage?

i think generally its gotta be 25 years old or older to be 'vintage'

I would agree. I think a 25+ years old would be a nice age to define "vintage". Although vintage is classes as "not common to this era".

Baz, walrus, nice premier's

2bsticks, thats a sexy sling mate.

i really feel like vintage is more of an era than an age...
what i mean: in 2017 my kit will be "vintage"...
no no no. i think that there are kits of a particular era (id say... pre-'75) that are truly vintage.

i guess its like classic cars. "antique" is +25 years, but just because a car is old doesnt make it classic. i only feel this way because i dont know what itll be like when 80's power toms become "vintage". i think that term should be reserved for older gretsch, rogers, sling, premier, ludwig, sonor, etc. kits... there is a certain nostalgia those kits have that was lost in the later years.

ps. is there a "show us your slingerland kit" thread?

How about this one? Rogers silver glass glitter from mid sixties, 8x12,16x16,14x20.
0915081518aedited.jpg

i really feel like vintage is more of an era than an age...
what i mean: in 2017 my kit will be "vintage"...
no no no. i think that there are kits of a particular era (id say... pre-'75) that are truly vintage.

i guess its like classic cars. "antique" is +25 years, but just because a car is old doesnt make it classic. i only feel this way because i dont know what itll be like when 80's power toms become "vintage". i think that term should be reserved for older gretsch, rogers, sling, premier, ludwig, sonor, etc. kits... there is a certain nostalgia those kits have that was lost in the later years.

ps. is there a "show us your slingerland kit" thread?

But i think this is precisely the problem, isn't it? This is why most of the beautiful old cars were discarded back in the day. 10 years on people just thought "oh, i can't imagine them ever being "vintage", there's just a nostalga about older cars that this simply doesn't have." Same with everything really such as houses. There was a time in the 1950s when everybody put MDF over their victorian panel doors and replaced their fireplaces with ugly gas units because it was "the new thing". Of course now everybody hates that sort of thing.

The thing you were saying about cars doesn't really stand up i think either. Sure there are cars that have always been and always will be ugly. Such as the ford mustang from the late 80s, the one that just looks the same as a ford sierra. However what about other cars from that era such as the lambo countach and the mercedes 300SL? Back until a few years ago people probably thought those cars were just 80s monstrosites but now they've become quite desirable so you can't just slate everything from a particular era because there will always be good and bad stuff from any era, even your beloved 60s probably was mostly just beginner crap with uneven bearing edges and stick thin hardware which couldn't hold up a doughnut let alone a ride cymbal. However the kits you see here are really the kits that have lasted due to their quality and good design. I'm sure once you've waded through all the crap from the 80s there will be some real gems in their own right which aren't just some copies off kits from the 60s.

Last edited:
To me vintage denotes the classic drums of yesteryear, in traditional sizes before the eighties sort to speak. All that powertom and whatnot does not, and probably never will, classify as "vintage" in my book. But ok, it is a highly debatable issue and to provide a single exhaustive definition is virtually impossible. But vintage, for me, mean sthe classic drums of yesteryear, in traditional sizes, prior to the eighties.

Here's my vintage Sonor Teardrop from 1964. 20x14, 13x9, 16x14,5, 14x5.

Attachments

• Teardrop_resized_front.jpg
    Teardrop_resized_front.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 2,842
  • Teardrop_resized.jpg
    Teardrop_resized.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 2,783
How does that Sonor kit sound? There is a guy here in town that is selling one like yours in a different finish for $700.Those look fantastic.

Imo its sounds absolutely fantastic. Perhaps somewhat dry because of the full rounded bearing edges, but it has that undeniable vintage tone. I am madly in love with it. I would definately recommend it.

Note: mine is the 3ply superthin (3 mm or something?) shell with re-rings. Later (>1965) Teardrops had 6 ply 6mm shells without re-rings if I'm not mistaking. I guess sound-wise they are pretty similar, with a little more presence and projection on part of the 6ply.

/edit: found a soundfile from a while ago. Recorded with my Zoom H4 lying next to me (hi-hat side) on a table. That room sounds terrible, it sounds just a tad more resonant IRL, but you get the idea. Excuse the playing.

Attachments

• STE-021.mp3
    616.4 KB · Views: 264
Do any of yall know if this is a vintage set??!!?? its not mine but a friends and I was wondering if it was a vintage set or not. So yall drummers with extensive knowledge bout drums, now is your time to share it.tn.jpg

It's a Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz. Not vintage, but does have the looks. It is a cool kit, Gretsch really got their act together for that one.

Thanks. I really didn't know, he just sayed it was a gretsch. He sayed he really like vintage though, that's probably why he got one that looked like it.

Jake thats a beautiful Sonor. I remember playing a Sonor from the 80's a few years ago and its hardware was certainly sturdy and heavy. Im loving the old school Premierish hardware on those drums.

Vintage.

Beastdrummagirl: That gretsch set sure looks and feels vintage, a good friend of mine had one recently and it was a stellar drum set for the price he paid for it, which im sure was the nice side of £300. Gretsch certainly have made a nice modern set with a vintage "feel".

Imo its sounds absolutely fantastic. Perhaps somewhat dry because of the full rounded bearing edges, but it has that undeniable vintage tone. I am madly in love with it. I would definately recommend it.

Note: mine is the 3ply superthin (3 mm or something?) shell with re-rings. Later (>1965) Teardrops had 6 ply 6mm shells without re-rings if I'm not mistaking. I guess sound-wise they are pretty similar, with a little more presence and projection on part of the 6ply.

/edit: found a soundfile from a while ago. Recorded with my Zoom H4 lying next to me (hi-hat side) on a table. That room sounds terrible, it sounds just a tad more resonant IRL, but you get the idea. Excuse the playing.

Those sound great Jake, but I'm wondering if they would work for me, playing in a classic rock band..

Back