USB Interface Instead of Module?

Benn

Hey folks,
I got a lead on a Roland HD-1 kit for $60. After talking to the guy I realized the kit doesn't have a module. He tells me he just "plugs the pads into his laptop" and it works great. I have a Presonus Audiobox 44VSL interface which has MIDI inputs. I was planning on using it so I can just use samples from my cpmputer instead of the module's sounds, but I figured I would need the module to send the signal to my interface. Do the pads from this kit terminate at a MIDI plug which I can then plug into my interface to use with Addictive Drums or something like that? Will this actually work without a module? It sounds like plugging a microphone into a speaker without an amplifier and expecting sound...but I'm new to this stuff.

Hey folks,
I got a lead on a Roland HD-1 kit for $60. After talking to the guy I realized the kit doesn't have a module. He tells me he just "plugs the pads into his laptop" and it works great. I have a Presonus Audiobox 44VSL interface which has MIDI inputs. I was planning on using it so I can just use samples from my cpmputer instead of the module's sounds, but I figured I would need the module to send the signal to my interface. Do the pads from this kit terminate at a MIDI plug which I can then plug into my interface to use with Addictive Drums or something like that? Will this actually work without a module? It sounds like plugging a microphone into a speaker without an amplifier and expecting sound...but I'm new to this stuff.

Doesn't sound right to me...............I'd have him demo it.

You are correct, the seller doesn't make any sense.

The pads only send a low voltage signal. The module is what translates that signal into midi and/or audio.

OK, I pressed the seller some more and figured out that he just didn't know the terms "module" or "brain" or whatever. He meant he plugs the MIDI out of the module into his laptop. Duh. Checking it out in an hour - seems like a steal if it works.

I went ahead and bought it. Not bad for $60. It was super dirty so I had to scrub it down but it cleaned up pretty nice. Seems like a good fit for my level of interest and space needs.
Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Back