Hi Hat trimmer

buzzbuzz

I know this has probably been answered before but I couldn't find an answer.

The way my kit is set up, I have a China on an arm that comes off of a crash on my rack. This positions the China right over my hats. But, the vertical bar on the hats is very high and gets in the way.

How can I trim it down and finish off the trimmed end where it doesn't look al gnarly?

Attachments

• Setup3.JPG
    Setup3.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 190
Cut it with whatever you want to use (hacksaw, Dremel) then use a bench belt sander to round over the edge.

If you want to keep the factory rounded top on the hat rod.
Cut the bottom (Threaded end)
Buy a die that is the proper diameter and thread pitch at a hardware store and cut new threads on the rod.
Screw it into the lower rod on your hat stand and you are good to go.
This is easy to do. it only costs a few dollars for the die.
If you don't feel comfortable cutting the rod and the threads, bring the rod to a local Automotive Technician. Buy him a six pack of his favorite beer and he will do it for you.
It takes only moments to do this. Any good Automotive Technician has a Tap and Die set in his toolbox.
We all drink beer! Trust me on this because I have been an Auto Tech for 35 years. I do simple things like this for folks all the time. I very seldom have to buy my own beer!

Yes, the die fits into a die holder and you turn it by hand.
Cut the rod to length.
Wrap cloth around the rod to protect it and clamp it in a vice.
Cut the threads with the die.
Make sure that you get the proper thread pitch die. They can be either USS or Metric thread depending on the hat stand.
Make sure that you use light oil on the die while cutting the threads.

Yes, the die fits into a die holder and you turn it by hand.
Cut the rod to length.
Wrap cloth around the rod to protect it and clamp it in a vice.
Cut the threads with the die.
Make sure that you get the proper thread pitch die. They can be either USS or Metric thread depending on the hat stand.
Make sure that you use light oil on the die while cutting the threads.

Thank you, I'll give it a try.

Hey Bob - $49.95 is not just a few dollars. Just wanted to point that out. For $50 you can probably order a special order shorter rod (a la DW) for less.

Hey Bob - $49.95 is not just a few dollars. Just wanted to point that out. For $50 you can probably order a special order shorter rod (a la DW) for less.
Bo, He only has to spend a few dollars on the die that he needs. He doesn't have to buy an entire set of taps and dies.
The die can be turned with an adjustable wrench if you don't want to buy a die holder.
I also suggested having a local mechanic do it for him for lunch or beer.
There is probably someone that he knows that owns a tap and die set.
Most people with full tool boxes have a tap and die set.

The job only takes about ten mins to cut and tap the rod.

Last edited:
Back