Dampening methods...

Terrence R

Silver Member
I would like to experiment a bit with some new dampening technics with my toms and kick drum. Just wondering what u guys would recommend. I've used o-rings, moon gels, and cotton balls before. But what is this tape that everyone keeps mentioning? Giffy or gaffy tape or something? Where would a fellow pick some of that up at. Same goes with these felt strips that seem so popular for bass drum heads. Where could I purchase some? Any specific name brands that are recommended? Thanx.

Gaff tape or Gaffers tape. That is my choice over moongel which eventually gets dirty, gummy or falls off during transport. I have it in white to match the drumheads so it blends in.
Reusable too. Double it up for more control.

It's typically used on stages to mark where the musicians or singers stand and other performers. It peels off with no residue (unlike duct tape). Do a google search with your city or
something like "gaffer tape near me". That's how I found it at a local theater supply store. Works like a charm. I've managed to get the tuning down on my snares, so I mainly use it on the floor toms (that ring forever).

Kick drum - I use Aquarian SKII. Some say has a little too much control. But carries a nice punch and deep thump.

It peels off with no residue (unlike duct tape).

Yep. Although if left on too long there is certainly a residue. The adhesive becomes like cement and is a PITA to remove.

Gaffer tape = music stores. Hardware or other trade supply stores.

Felt strip = fabric store.

On the topic of Gaffer tape, does anyone know what Paul Leim is using to make these "gates" on his snare and toms? If you watch the video starting at around 20 seconds you can see them in action. I want to know what's inside the tape that is heavy enough to drop back onto the drum head without dampening too much. Seems like it could be better than Moon-Gel because it isn't always making contact with the head, allowing it to open up for a second before applying dampening. Anyone tried this? What's in there? A quarter, metal washer, what??

Here's a link to the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lStJW0n4rY

The tape is just folded over at the end--leave enough to stick to the head.
It's just heavy enough to flop back down after you hit the drum.
You can fold it over twice for an even more controlled sound too.

But what is this tape that everyone keeps mentioning? Giffy or gaffy tape or something?

GAFFERS tape- Used on movie sets.

AKA

DUCT tape- Heating and air conditioning and sometimes used at frat parties to tape people up.

DUCK tape- Consumer grade version, commonly used for making custom fitted house shoes.

Attachments

• Picture 13.png
    Picture 13.png
    288.8 KB · Views: 171
  • Picture 12.png
    Picture 12.png
    114.4 KB · Views: 167
  • Picture 11.png
    Picture 11.png
    286 KB · Views: 175
  • Picture 10.png
    Picture 10.png
    59.9 KB · Views: 172
Gaff tape or Gaffers tape. That is my choice over moongel which eventually gets dirty, gummy or falls off during transport.

Moongels are washable. Just wash with soap and water and presto, good as new. I take it off and put it back in the little case between uses.

I usually don't dampen my drums at all except for my bass drum.
I dampen snare and toms with mylar studio rings mostly when I am recording.
On bass drums I like the felt strip method or ring controlled heads of various types.
I also sometimes use ring controlled heads on of my snare and toms when I want dampening.

On occasion I use the internal mufflers that are built into my vintage Ludwig kit. I have the round felt disc type on my toms.
Those are pretty cool. They rattled when I first got the kit and I removed them at first. I eventually fixed the rattle issue and reinstalled them. I made the rivets that hold the disc tighter by compressing them with a hammer and punch. Now the internal mufflers work perfect. I like being able to dial in the desired amount of dampening.

The tape is just folded over at the end--leave enough to stick to the head.
It's just heavy enough to flop back down after you hit the drum.
You can fold it over twice for an even more controlled sound too.

Thanks, Karl. It just looks like there's something inside the folded tape to give it enough weight to maintain contact with the head.

Have you tried this method? At $15 a roll, not sure it's worth buying any.

Thanks for the reply my friend!

Grant

Back