Left-footed/Right Handed Hell

Peppermint_Sanders

Does anyone else suffer from this affliction? I've spent my whole life trying to get my bass drum to kick properly, while all of my drummer friends are kicking doubles like it's their job...and sometimes it was. I've learned to compensate and can do some hi-hat things easier than most, but my kick pedal is always my concentration during practice time. I also come from a rudimental background, so my hands have a tendency to save me, more often than not.

Anyway, just wondering if there was anyone else out there that has to deal with their non-dominant foot being on their kick drum. Maybe we can start a support group.

Cheers!

If you’re right handed, and your right foot is your dominant foot, why is the bass drum pedal on your non-dominant left foot?

I'm the opposite, left handed and right footed, so I can relate. I play on a right handed kit, open handed left hand lead, so it's not an issue.

Nice! That's probably a little easier to play open-handed. I wish I would've started that way. I assume you put your ride on the left side?

Then you are lucky. The BD is used more than the Hi-hat so your weaker foot will, over time, become much stronger. Its easier than trying to overcome a dominant BD foot.

I'm like you : right handed, left footed. I'm not over skilled on my right foot that's true, but I can play. The only advantage is, when playing double pedal, I don't have a bad balance between the feet, my left foot/leg being stronger.

I'm left handed and footed, but I play on a right handed kit. There's no problems with how I play honestly, though I find trying to play double strokes on a single bass drum to be a challenge.

I'm left handed and footed, but I play on a right handed kit. There's no problems with how I play honestly, though I find trying to play double strokes on a single bass drum to be a challenge.

I'm very left handed and left footed.

I throw left handed, kick left footed, bat left handed, even eat left handed but write right handed, never understood that one.....

I learnt to play drums left handed and switched over to right handed in my early teens because the school kit was set up right handed and I didn't have one at home and was sick of moving things round.

I can't play traditional grip well right handed but I can do it perfectly left handed, so much so I practice on my pad left handed. I play the kit match grip.

Never had problems with foot technique on my right foot with speed or power. Both feet know what they're supposed to do being a single pedal player.

Stick at it and you'll be fine. Practice goes a long way.

I'm right-handed and left-footed, and sometimes have problems with doubles on the kick. But that could also be caused by lack of practice..

Dutch

Drum kit playing is such a non-natural thing to do, that I strongly suspect that that the key to any dexterity issues is simply practice.

For the record, I kick with my right foot, but surf and ride skateboards "goofy", i.e., left-footed.

I play drums with a mediocrity that is exceeded only by my enthusiasm!

Never had an issue. I am left footed and Right handed.

I would switch to playing open handed on a lefty kit. That way you'ld get both your hands and your feet right.

I agree. I have the opposite issue: left handed and right footed. I play open-handed on a right-handed kit. My hats are about an inch above my snare, and the ride in about two inches above the hats. Peace and goodwill.

Peppermint - I too suffer from this affliction: right-handed, left-footed. To add to the confusion, my father was left-handed and growing he would "fix" things (i.e. screw-things-up) around the house which usually favored the lefties in my immediate family.

On the positive side, my hockey stick has a lefty curve (and I play left) - I shoot left in golf, and while I can throw a ball with either hand, I am most definitely a right-handed dominant person. I am also left-foot dominant and its not even close. I can kick a soccer ball to the moon with my left. My right foot is a total joke.

And lastly, not to cry about things but I have also broken my right leg and ankle a few times (hockey, soccer, etc.) which has made my right foot even slower and less flexible. Such is life. I still love the heck out of playing the drums.

It's good to see that I'm not alone!

Yes, practice is key for all things and just because it's a weaker limb isn't an excuse. I wasn't insinuating that progress would just instantly be attainable, it's just a ten pound weight around a jogger's neck. That hill is still the same height, it's just going to take a little more time to climb.

It's nice to see that others are in the same boat though. I've seen a couple folks talk about doubles being a little tougher...yep, I'm right there with ya. So many classmates growing up that had half of the chops, but could kick like Vinnie Paul...so aggravating.

Oh well, back to the woodshed...\m/

I'm left footed right handed but am totally self taught and taught myself to play on a left handed setup before realising there WAS such a thing as a left handed / right handed kit setup.

If I could start over again id learn to play right handed and strengthen my right foot for bass drum. Much easier when sharing backlines

Back