coated emporer problem

I used to think my old Remos didn't sound broken in until they had that dirty 6-8 inch diameter circle surrounding the center of the head, and a few dents inside of that. What's wrong with a few dirty stick marks, for Godssakes?

A man after my own heart Doc. Give me my heads "played in a bit" any day of the week. This new concept that heads 'should remain virginal white' and 'sticks should last forever', is new to me.

The dirtier Emps get the better they start sounding in my opinion. Every head takes a bit to break in, I find that Emps more than most. They are the head choice for myself switching out with the clear every once in a while, but you can't beat the coated, great sound. As for marks on stuff, well your a drummer, the stuff (cymbals etc.) is pricey but it's supposed to be hit. My HHX cymbals cost me more than my car but they are used well and have marks all over them, do they sound different???
Nope, just as good as they day I brought them home, hey maybe even better.
Don't get too hung up on marked cymbals, they look better that way.

A man after my own heart Doc. Give me my heads "played in a bit" any day of the week. This new concept that heads 'should remain virginal white' and 'sticks should last forever', is new to me.

LOL -I think I have really showed my age now. And don't forget cymbals, too - we can't have our cymbals these days looking like well used copper pennies, haha!

Another option is the Aquarian Modern Vintage instead of the Fiberskyns, which have strange 'bubbling' problems, and may be cheaper.

Aha! So it's not just me who's had that problem. I've had mine on since...erm...October (I think) and the center of the head has started to "bubble" over the past few weeks, it's not affected the sound too much, at least yet.

I shall have to check out the Aquarians!

Cheers,

Kev

Aha! So it's not just me who's had that problem. I've had mine on since...erm...October (I think) and the center of the head has started to "bubble" over the past few weeks, it's not affected the sound too much, at least yet.

I shall have to check out the Aquarians!

Cheers,

Kev

You should be pleasantly surprised at how well the Aquarian heads hold up.

I switched from the Fiberskyns a few years ago after I got tired of the bubbling issue. It didn't affect the sound...that much. I just ended up tightening the snare more, but it was very noticeable on the toms.

For me, the Aquarians sound so much better and the last several times longer.

Another benefit is that you can call the company and speak to a live, knowledgeable representative if you have any questions. Roy Burns has personally helped me twice.

I like coated emps.It used to be coating over a white 2 ply head. They looked and sounded better in my opinion. They make the vintage emperor, which is coated over 2 ply white heads, but the mylar film is a little thicker (7.5 mm as opposed to 7 mm), so the sound is ever so slightly more "middy" to my ear.

They still offer the "old style" 2 ply 7mm/7mm white film with coating.
It's the JP model.
Use JP suffix after the model number when they order them.

There is also a JP Ambassador.

They still offer the "old style" 2 ply 7mm/7mm white film with coating.
It's the JP model.
Use JP suffix after the model number when they order them.

There is also a JP Ambassador.

Really? I think we talked about this before and I thought you said something about the smoth white emperors being offered in a coated version. Is that what you are talking about? If so, I thought that they were 7.5 mm plies. I could be totally wrong though, never heard of the "JP' suffix model. Any significance of the letters?

I found this on Remo's site, it's the model with the JP suffix:

Smooth White™ Emperor® heads are warmer than Clear Emperor® with bigger mid range tones. Smooth White™ Emperor®s are quickly becoming one of REMO®’s most popular WeatherKing® heads. They’re made with two free-floating plies of 7.5-mil Mylar® film, which gives consistent open warm tones which accounts for their popularity among many of today’s Studio and Rock drummers.

I assume the coated version would have the same construction, just a coating, and as you can see, it's 2 plies of 7.5-mil mylar, not 7-mil. So really, the smooth white coated head is exactly the same as the Vinage emperor, only the vintage emperor film isn't as bright of a white.

I have been a Remo user since the 60s and I have tried Evans products as well. I bought an Evans head for a snare, the one with the tiny holes around the edge, and the coating wore off that head on the first gig I played with it.

The Remo Emperor X that is on my 8" maple FF has lost some of the coating and that happened with the first gig I played with that head.

As a rule, I'm not real happy with Evans heads....except.....the EMAD II batter and reso head on my Master's Custom Extra bass drum. Man what a sound!!!!

Older post but thought I'd ask, Evans G2 coated or G2 plus coated, who has switched to these heads and love them, I'm an emperor guy but because of the coating issues I'm thinking of converting. Who has and is happy?

Hey Cdrums--yeah I was wrong. I thought it was 2- 7mm plies but it's 2- 7.5 plies...
my bad.
I thought my guy at the shop told me 7 the first time we talked about those heads, and I just talked to him about it the other day--missed this post.

I tried them, but they were a bit too mellow for me. I like the regular ones better now, or Coated Ambassadors.

I don't know about the suffix.

Dirty cymbals=dirty sticks=dirty heads. Just wash the cymbals don't polish or shine.

Older post but thought I'd ask, Evans G2 coated or G2 plus coated, who has switched to these heads and love them, I'm an emperor guy but because of the coating issues I'm thinking of converting. Who has and is happy?

Well, I have Emperors on the batter of my floor toms and G Pluses on the resos. I like the sound. But I go for sound more than appearance and I like the Emporers a tad more than Evans G2 or G Pluses on the batter side, even if Remos chip here and there. Mine haven't chipped but if it's a real concern, try the Remo Vintage Emporor. I think they use the white mylar like the old ones in the 60s and 70s, so it would be not so noticeable.

Back