Guess the drum head

Re: The Answer: Clear Pinstripes

805Drummer and Bram both correctly identified the number of plies the lack of coating and the control ring.

I knew it!*

I, in fact, did not know it. The previous statement was made to serve as a literary exaggeration.

Well i guess i wont be getting pinstripes any time soon...didn't like the sound that much, not enough tone for my tastes. i had trouble distinguishing low/high toms...

I thought it was an old 1966 Ludwig factory 12 tom head. Guess I was wrong.

Well i guess i wont be getting pinstripes any time soon...didn't like the sound that much, not enough tone for my tastes. i had trouble distinguishing low/high toms...

Were you using computer speakers? If so I recommend that you try headphones.
I agree that pinstripes are not for everyone, I switch between pinstripes and coated ambassadors on this set depending on the sound I'm looking for.

Well, he did mic it, however I don't think there was any EQing or Compressing. I love this natural sound!

Thanks for the comment.
No Compression effects or EQ, but I had to mic the drums in order for you to hear it. It sounds similar in person but there are more overtones in person.

Wayne

maybe it's just my computer speakers (which are pretty good ones), but those drums sounded surprisingly bright for pinstripes ! dont get my wrong, i think they sound GREAT, but i'm used to a darker tone out of pinstripes. what kind of mics are you using ?

by the way........ that snare sounds absolutely DELICIOUS !!

I really enjoyed that little clip! Nice playing, and a great sound set of drums for sure.

I am curious what recording set up you were running...

Mic's and placement?
Mixer?
Software used?

You already said you didn't alter the sounds with the computer, so I will take that as a given.

Great job once again!
Joe

I am curious what recording set up you were running...

Mic's and placement?
Mixer?
Software used?

Joe

Mic's were 1 pair of Oktava MK-012 in recorderman position for overheads
Each Tom was close mic'ed with a Sennheiser e604 about 4 inches away
Snare was mic'ed with a single SM57
Kick - Audix D6

Audio intereface was a presonus firepod.
Software doesn't matter as no effects were used but it was Cubase LE4

Wayne

Back