My favorite sticks

I've really been digging the Pro-Mark 5BGs. Apparently I'm the only person in Edmonton that uses them, because the last time I was at Long and MacQuade, the salesman told me that he has to special order them just for me. Hahaha.

-Jonathan

Hey Art,
Thanks for the support, I just wanted to reach out about trying the 5A's. A very commonly made misconception is that the 5A is the same cut throughout brands. It is actually very different for all brands. The ProMark 5A'S are a different spec then the Vic's. They are both 16" long, but the Vic is a .565" and the ProMark is thinner at a .550" in diameter. I think the TX818W would be a closer fit both in diameter and Tip type. http://promark.com/pmProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3917&productid=80
Please let me know if you have any questions you can reach me at [email protected]. Thank you!
I used promark 7A for 1st 4 years but realised i needed bigger sticks for more volume (bigger venues). Just this year I started using Vic's 5A (always wood tip for me), much more versatile & comfy in my hands. I dont hit the s**t out of my drums but I do constant rimshots & a pair can last me around 20-25 hours of playing, 30 sometimes.

Funny I tried Vic extreme 5A & they broke much much quicker than the regular 5A.

I will try out Vater's & ProMark's 5A to compare. Very curious about Los Cabos sticks but cannot find them here in Oz!!

Vater Fatback 3a. They are the opposite to the VF 5a and that stick is awful. The VF 5a just do not want to play in my hands. And the VF quality is pretty bad. But Vater! Them Vater sticks will not break!

Vic Firth 'Harvey Mason' Chameleon excellent 7a-ish sized stick in Hickory, with the weight of a 5a

Last edited:
I can and do play almost any kind and type of sticks, but I keep coming back to the Vic Firth Buddy Rich/Vater West Side sticks. The feel nice and solid on the hand, give a great full sound on the drums and cymbals and are extremely durable. A few other favorites are the Vic Firth Tommy Igoe Stick, Promark 5A oak, and the Vic Firth Peter Erskine Ride Stick.

I like the Zildjian Hickory Series Black 5B wood tips. I use Vic firth 7A for some progressive tunes. I found the Zildjians by grabbing a couple pair out of a reduced bin. Originally because since I have a black set it would look good and they were cheap. Now I really love them.

Ok just picked up a new batch of these sticks and the paint on them is coming off on my cymbals!!!!! NOT happy.

I came across this site by mere coincidence when searching for my old firend's brand name of "BUNKEN".

In August, 2009, AEOLIAN had posted about his pleasure with a set of BUNKEN sticks.

I doubted anyone kew the history of those sticks or how they got their name. So I thought for historical purposes I would chime in.

I started a business in a very large old shoe factory in 1972 in Braintree, MA. The building was originally the C.B. Slater Shoe Company, and for historians was the actual site of the Sacco & Venzetti robbery in the early 20th century.

In the front of that building in a small space was a person making drumsticks. His name was Ken Drinan.

He was a very nice person with a good sense of humor, and he was clever as well. He was a musician by night, and he made drumsticks by day.

Surprisingly he was NOT a drummer! I believe he played a bass guitar.

He had a single Teledyne-Pines lathe and some other equipment.

His daughter, Nancy, and son, Kevin, helped him with the process.

His wife's name was Bunny. Getting the picture here?

So he called the drumsticks, what else, but BUNKEN!

I moved from that building in 1973, and I do not recall seeing him after that. He died sometime in the late 1970's.

This is my history lesson for the day. I could not resist after seeing the tradename mentioned.

I am using promark 2B Hickory. They are long and very fat and heavy-feeling. Solid. I like them a lot. I was thinking that when I start gigging they will be good for bludgeoning drunks.

I use- Ahead Lars Ulrich model. They are great sticks, only ever broken a stick once in over a year of use on that pair. Work really well for me because I hit really hard and end up breaking wood sticks like no tomorrow. lol

i dont have a favourite, i use different sizes and wood for different venues (size) or song. maple for quieter songs or hot rods and oak or hickory drumsticks for bigger venues and louder songs.

:)

one christmas i was asked to take out the leftover turkey and chicken when i thought... hey chicken drumstick... so i went down to my drumkit thinking.... this could make history.. i used chicken drumsticks as drumsticks... i havnt gone back since. i play with chicken drumsticks every time i play now whether thats live or at practise. and also, when the gigs over they make for a tasty snack! you should try it sometime. Just the way i roll.

Zildjian 5A pre-dipped sticks. My VF 7AN pros lasted my about four years, but masking tape, shrink-wrap, and clear-tape won't save it from becoming shrapnel in my hands.

I just 'discovered' Zildjian 5A heavy LAMINATED sticks. They are the BOMB! I usually don't like heavy sticks, got rid of my VF 5B's after only a couple of days, but these just feel GOOD. nice balance, good feel. The only downside I can see for some drummers is that they are very smooth from the lamination process, so grip tape or gorilla snot would probably be more necessary on these than on some others. I use grip tape anyway, so it wasn't a problem for me. After a couple of weeks practicing with them, (I only get a few hours a week to practice, but it's better than nothing!) hardly any marks from rim shots or hi hats. I really recommend them. A little pricier than most, but they could be your cup of tea.

Just got my first pair of Promark Select Balance - RBH565TW American Hickory's the other day. I've never liked a pair of sticks as much as these!

Been using two different sticks lately.

VF AS7a (American sound, 7a) - These sound really good to my ear, short taper for end-weight, and ball tip that sounds killer on my old cymbals.

And, VF Erskine, but not the "ride" stick, which I wasn't the hugest fan of, mostly for the feel of using it... Instead I like his "big band" stick. Works great for rock, too.

Back