What drum head to buy?

Rollinfever15

I'm looking to replace my snare heads and wanted to know what you guys suggest since i dont have the $$ to try out a bunch of different heads.

I'm looking for a head(top and bottom) that will give my drum a lot of attack and will help it make a 'crack' when I hit rim shots. I have a classic all metal ludwig snare.

Any suggestions?

Coated 1 or 2 ply head. Like a Remo Ambassador or Evans G1 (10 mil, single ply) or a Remo Emperor or Evans G2 (2x7.5mil, double ply) if you'd prefer a little bit more focus.
Aquarian will also offer a similar product but will leave it to someone who is more familiar with them to tell you what they are.

I'm a big fan of the Remo coated CS(or black dot) heads. That what I normally use on my snares along with a hazy Remo Ambassador snare side on bottom.

The most attack will come from a singly ply head and will be fuller sounding as well as a crisper rim shot. Id recommend an Aquarian coated studio x which has a small strip of power dot material around the outside of the underside edge to remove some of the unwanted overtones. This head will still be somewhat wet sounding but the use of a studio ring will dry it out if need be. I use these heads on both my main 14x6 snare and my 12x6 side snare and also use studio rings which allow me to pick from 4 different sounds as needed depending on the particular song. Aquarian's coating is almost bullet proof and from my experience the head will last twice as long as Evans before going dead and about 4 times as long as Remo and usually priced considerably less than both. They also make a focus x but I find it a bit too dry / controlled (just a bit dryer than the studio x with a studio ring) and the plain texture coated (just a coated classic clear) but if you find the studio x too controlled you just peal off the strip and your left with the plain texture coated. All those heads are also available with a power dot on the underside and although they add some strength if you happen to be a heavy hitter I find all dot heads (any brand) have a tendency to remove some of the lower frequencies and just not quite as full sounding. Hope this helps.

Back