Dream Theater's new drummer is MIKE MANGINI

Re: Dream Theater's new drummer

Great job Peter, you were incredible!

I like him ( Mangini ) better than Portnoy to be honest.

Me too. They'll make him play like Portnoy though so it'll even out. Mangini, Portnoy, no difference..

It's a long story, but would someone be kind enought to post the exact link for the last audition video that came out today?

(in short, my home laptop is down, work computer network blocks youtube, but my LG TV at home thankfully is network enabled and YouTube ready, but I need to add the specific video links to my favorites before watching, but I cannot browse to it on the TV - sorry, it's lame!)

I said it last September, when Portnoy left the band:
Anyhow, if I were a betting man, I'd imagine either Mike Mangini or Bobby Jarzombek joins the band, with a small chance of Rod Morgenstein.

Mangini was a near shoe in the from the start, to the point I'm still a bit surprised they just didn't call him up and offer him the job from day one.

I will say, my initial reaction was I won't buy and album or concert ticket for DT if Portnoy isn't in the band. But now, I'm actually kind of excited again. The last two Dream Theater albums were terrible IMHO, and that was under Portnoy's leadership. So I'm hoping Mangini will inspire them to write a better album.

I'm also curious as to what sort of crazy set up Mangini will take on tour with them.

And Peter, wow, congrats on making it to the top 3!

I also have to say I have a lot of new found respect for Marco. Every clip I had ever seen of him was doing a drum solo, a solo at a drum clinic, or playing some crazy tune that isn't much different than a drum solo. So I had pegged him as one of those clinic wunderkids who can play super technical stuff that goes over everyone's head, but didn't have much music in him. It's pretty clear I just hadn't heard him in the right context before. So that was refreshing.

Mangini was a near shoe in the from the start, to the point I'm still a bit surprised they just didn't call him up and offer him the job from day one.

They had probably decided on that but it wouldn't have made good tv.

Last edited:

Great job Peter, you were incredible!

Me too. They'll make him play like Portnoy though so it'll even out. Mangini, Portnoy, no difference..

Agree with both of these sentiments, but especially regarding Peter.

Peter, if you can accept this comment from a lowly bin basher such as me, I liked your style above all the others, not because of your abilities, but because what I think you'd have brought to the music. I'm not a DT fan, although I do like some of their stuff. To me, your playing injected the organic musicality that much DT stuff so desparately needs, IMHO. Either way you cut it, you performed the whole process with dignity. I'm not a fan of your main focus genre especially, but I'm certainly a fan of you. Nice job man, really nice job!

Congrats to Mike Mangini.

I don't think he's going to be a "Portnoy Clone" in DT.

One: Mangini's technique is miles ahead of Portnoy. When "Awake" came out, I was stunned by DT & MP. But it doesn't seem to me that MP has progressed at all since then, in feel or technique. It seems that he's been so busy being DT's Major Domo / semi-manager / videographer / whatever that he hasn't bothered becoming a better musician.

I would bet that Mike Mangini can play anything humanly possible. His playing is jaw-dropping. And the dude can slam the kit. He won't need to have microphones cranked to make up for his soft hitting techniques (MP's mikes were turned up so loud my friend heard MP sit down on his throne through them.)

Further, I would guess they would want to move ON musically, as well as personally.

From the Drumhead eMag Issue #27:

"Drumhead's editor-in-chief, Jonathan Mover, spoke with Mike at the of beginning January about the new gig"....

DT got great publicity out of this. The video's are cool, and all the DWorld drummers involved in the process come off as cool dudes, so it's all good.

I'm curious to see what will happen if Portnoy returns one day and has to play some of the stuff Mangini writes for the new material...

Just found the webisodes online. Entertaining stuff, these guys have some monster chops. Derrek, great audition sir, you're a helluva player. I also liked Virgil Donati, some fierce playing from a fellow trad grip player.

Anyone else think that Marco Minnemann looks a bit like Tom Green?

I was rooting for Marco, but I knew it would be Mangini from the get go. A whole episode was dedicated to him, nuff said.

Hey there!

First of all congratulations to Mike Mangini!!! He's just an amazing fit for DT! :)

Secondly, thanks to all you guys here for your kind words!!! Makes me VERY happy coming from fellow drummers. :)

I have to say that I had the best of times at the audition and the DT guys and everybody involved are the nicest people. Also thanks to them for having me audition, it was not only a tremendous honor playing with DT but also to be a part of that list with the other drummers who are my heroes... SPEECHLESS!!!

Cheers,
Peter Wildoer

Hey there!

First of all congratulations to Mike Mangini!!! He's just an amazing fit for DT! :)

Secondly, thanks to all you guys here for your kind words!!! Makes me VERY happy coming from fellow drummers. :)

I have to say that I had the best of times at the audition and the DT guys and everybody involved are the nicest people. Also thanks to them for having me audition, it was not only a tremendous honor playing with DT but also to be a part of that list with the other drummers who are my heroes... SPEECHLESS!!!

Cheers,
Peter Wildoer

you were fantastic......wish I could see more footage

Hey there!

Cheers,
Peter Wildoer

Now is the time you tell you tell us about what was not show in the video!

Back