DW Hi Hat Stand

onedevilsst

Am in the market for a hi hat stand, am looking for a DW. Looked at the Iron Cobra, but my current stand is the Tama Road Pro, and i'm really not impressed. (I understand that the Iron Cobra will be a step up, and I have the cobra bass drum pedal along with a DW 9000, and like it).

So having weighed up the options, I've tried doing some research, but the DW hardware model numbers don't seem to correspond with higher quality. Except for the 9000 being the top of the range. I have the money to splash on the 9000, but am wondering whether the difference in performance justifies nearly a hundred quid more.

So my options are thus:

DW 5000 - sposed to be really good and sub £200. Good build quality, but looks like the 8000 and 9000. Is it worth going cheaper?

DW 8000 - from what I can tell it's a heavy duty stand designed for being toured and repeatedly set up. But if I spend the amount on this, might as well go the whole hog, no?
Which brings me to:
DW 9000 – Now this gets tricky. Looking on line and there are two 9000 model numbers and the pictures look the same so I’m struggling to tell the difference between the DW 9000 and the DW 9500 TB, apart from £80.

So I ask, oh wise sages of drummerworld, please inform me as to your findings so as I get value for money.

Confused of Preston.

Its kind of a personal decision that you have to make.
Both the Cobra and the DW stands are excellent. There isn't much difference in performance once you get to the pro level hat stands.
I suggest that you try them and choose. It's really just a matter of appearance and how much that you want to spend.
I play the Tama because I found it used for a good price.

I really only have experience with the 5000 hi-hat stand (5500D). Fantastic stand, but I found it a bit heavy for my needs (i.e. hauling it around to gigs). I really can't imagine needing an even heavier stand (8000). Funny thing is, I sold my 5000 and replaced it with...a Tama Roadpro. It's lighter, affordable, and I think it works quite well.

I really only have experience with the 5000 hi-hat stand (5500D). Fantastic stand, but I found it a bit heavy for my needs (i.e. hauling it around to gigs). I really can't imagine needing an even heavier stand (8000). Funny thing is, I sold my 5000 and replaced it with...a Tama Roadpro. It's lighter, affordable, and I think it works quite well.

I did like the roadpro, the issue came when taking it down, I usually unscrew the rod and feed it into the the top chamber, held into place with a clutch that fits in the tubing, however, I did it after a gig, and despite the regular oiling it snagged and unscrewed where the plate chain goes into the rod, all the mechanism fell out and it just won't go back together again.

I'm intrigued on the 9000 with the cam movement at the chain, plus from an aesthetic view, it'd be nice for it to match me bass drum pedal, like.

Thanks for your help, guys.

I recommend the BOA. It's literally direct drive. There are no springs, it's just the footboard attached to a giant hi hat rod. It may say PDP, but the stands are made in America. I've seen them being made at the DW factory. If you don't want to go with the BOA, go for a DW 5000 or 9000. I absolutely hate their pedals, but they make the best hi hat stands out there.

The difference in the 9000 hi hat series you are seeing is the legs. One model, 9500, has two-legs. and the other model, 9500D, has 3 legs.

id also recomend an elim, i have tried an ic but only a lever glide as well as a road pro and i dont like either of them seem identical in all but footboard to me

I recommend the BOA. It's literally direct drive. There are no springs, it's just the footboard attached to a giant hi hat rod. It may say PDP, but the stands are made in America. I've seen them being made at the DW factory. If you don't want to go with the BOA, go for a DW 5000 or 9000. I absolutely hate their pedals, but they make the best hi hat stands out there.

Just had a look at the BOA. Had never heard of it before. Looks amazing, like the way they use the square blocks you get on DW stands. Well intrigued, struggling to find one in Britain, but I think I need to look harder.

The difference in the 9000 hi hat series you are seeing is the legs. One model, 9500, has two-legs. and the other model, 9500D, has 3 legs.

Gotcha, thanks for clearing that one up, fella.

id also recomend an elim, i have tried an ic but only a lever glide as well as a road pro and i dont like either of them seem identical in all but footboard to me

Was looking at the elim, again had a pearl in the past, so have kinda written it off, already. Good price, tho.

Was looking at the elim, again had a pearl in the past, so have kinda written it off, already. Good price, tho.

well i have an old pearl and it works fine and have played an elima dn its really nice and like the idea of the cams

well i have an old pearl and it works fine and have played an elima dn its really nice and like the idea of the cams

the pearl never broke, it just became 'clunky' and lost the smooth ride, s'all, nowt against them. I'm looking for a stand that has the wow factor, really..

I saw those cams, the multicolored ones, again, really intrigued by it. Is it a gimmick, or can it actually help your playing?

no gimick does make a difference can make it like the 9000 with one cam and have a totally different reaction and feel with another

I play both DW5000 and DW9000, I use the 9000 with my gig kit and the 5000 stays at home on my V Drums.

The 9000 is much smoother and is effortless to play. That being said you really cant go wrong with the 5000 either, a great stand that is easy to play as well.

There is a different but 30 seconds into playing I really don't notice it.

I play both DW5000 and DW9000, I use the 9000 with my gig kit and the 5000 stays at home on my V Drums.

The 9000 is much smoother and is effortless to play. That being said you really cant go wrong with the 5000 either, a great stand that is easy to play as well.

There is a different but 30 seconds into playing I really don't notice it.

Thanks fella.
After sleeping on it, I've bit the bullet and ordered the 9000. Should be here by Wednesday. The price at Wembley Drum Centre was awesome!!!

So excited!

woo go wembley :) brought a fair bit of stuff there myself was ment to visit it a few times as well but never actually followed through on it

A bit jazzed off to be honest, guys. And admittedly, its only a small thing;

Received the DW 9000 today, absolutely spot on, quality build, as you woud expect, loads of adjustment options, looks great next to the BD pedal, too.

In the instructions it mentions the little carry bag, wasn't in the box, so thought there may be error, call the shop who advised that DW do not include the carry bags in UK- bound hat stands!! Cheap or what? Apparently causes the shop all sorts of problems.upshot is, I have to wait for them to tell how much one of these will cost from DW as an accessory.

Boo!!!

Glad you like the hat stand!

--Whats up with the carry bag?
Is it meant for something with the stand, or is it just a "goodie"?

Kinda seems like "what's the difference?" if something is shipped in the US or anywhere else...throw it in the box.
It can't weigh that much (for shipping over) if it's free with the hat stand.
DW isn't going to be spending $10 (their cost) on something they give away, and if it's a promo ("retail value" of $14.99!) it should say "while supplies last" or "US Residents Only" on the box, sticker or sheet.

Dang stands cost enough to not include a small bag.

Watch, they'll tell you it'll cost 20 bucks or something stupid, and it'll be nothing.

Well, again, good to hear you like the stand anyway!

Yeah, man. bloody love it. you can beat whales to death with it, its so sturdy.

The issue with the bag is that for years, no matter what I've done, and I had all sorts of issues with the hi hat stand, with them getting bashed around with all my other irons in a carry bag, so was kinda looking forward to getting something to make it stand out.

I also bought the 9000 BD pedal second hand, and didn't get a bag, and was with a lad who bought one brand new and got a little carry case with it in the box.

Guess I was never destined to receive any DW paraphernalia!!!!

At least the hi hat is quality.

Thats my whinge over.....

Yeah, man. bloody love it. you can beat whales to death with it, its so sturdy.

You are NOT kidding. I actually beat a whale to death with mine just last night.
He tried to flip a boat where me and the mates were doing a gig. I reached for
my trusty DW5000 hi hat stand. A couple whips to the belly, and he was whale
blubber!

Thanks, DW!

Am in the market for a hi hat stand, am looking for a DW. Looked at the Iron Cobra, but my current stand is the Tama Road Pro, and i'm really not impressed. (I understand that the Iron Cobra will be a step up, and I have the cobra bass drum pedal along with a DW 9000, and like it).

I would get the same brand as your kick pedal. If you play double bass, or even if you don't; it's nice to have a stand with the same angle and height as your kick pedal for footwork.
Also if there's toe stops in place, you can have them in the same place with the same feel.

This is why I went with DW5000 all around. I like the 9000 pedal a little more, but having the exact same front foot space for both feet, angle and board height makes it nice for me doing single pedal work. I imagine it would be very nice for double pedals, having the same footboard size, angle, height, etc.

Back