Marco Minnemann

Let me tell you my story about Marco Minnemann. I am 45 years old, and have been a drum enthusiast since I was 14. After several years of hiatus, I decided to start again, so I began a serious rudiments routine, etc. While looking for new equipment in my country (Mexico), I learned that DW was going to do the Latin American Tour, with Chester Thompson, Marco Minnemann and Álvaro López... and the tour was going to begin in Mexico! I felt very happy and fortunate because I was going to see one of my idols: Chester Thompson. Wow. I was already familiar with the great playing by Álvaro López (go watch him play someday; you won't regret it) and, well, "that Minnemann guy must be very good if he is going to play side by side with those monters", I thought. What an understatement, I know, but then I had no idea about who was Marco Minnemann.
And so the great day arrived. It was one o'clock in the afternoon with a scorching sun when I arrived at the place to meet some other 3000 guys, many of whom were wearing Minnemann's t-shirts and the like. Ninety per cent of them were between 15 and 20 years old, so I felt really out of place. While I was waiting in line, I heard several fragments of conversations and nobody even knew who Chester Thomson was. They were there to watch and hear Minnemann. "As soon as Chester starts playing, they will see", I thought.
And then, the event: Álvaro López did a great job. No doubt about it. Then came Chester. Oh my God: I had never seen anything like it live. His forty minutes solo left the audience ecstatic. And then Marco took the stage, said: "Hola cabrones!" and started an impossible solo, an incredible solo, a happy solo, a playful, serious and eye opening solo. I suddenly realized how old I was, how thorougly obsessed I had been with the classics, how blind a drum enthusiast I was. Please believe me when I say I am no idiot. I am a well read guy who loves music and who trully loves drumming. Before that day, I thought I knew what drumming was about. When Marco Minnemann, Mr Marco Minnemann, left the stage, I was sure that life had given me a lesson I was not going to forget soon. My whole concept of drums and drumming had changed forever.
For those of you who happen to have the chance to see Marco live, please do yourself and your beloved ones a favor, and show them what the new drumming is all about.
I just hope that someday DW decides to publish the video of that first day of the Latin American Tour. If they do, you will soon understand what I am talking about
Thank you very much, mister Minnemann, if you happen to read these lines.

Actualization: the Brazilian people posted the entire solo Marco Minnemann did on Sao Paolo, on the DW 40th Anniversary Latin American Tour. We are lucky they did:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxhiX13b_Ik

Last edited:
If you love Marco, get "The Aristocrats" CD. They do a killer semi-jazz-fusion with a LOT of rock influence. They are just brutally good players that pull it all off perfectly live, too. I got to watch them from just a few feet away here in Indianapolis this year and was blown away. I just wish I could have gone to California for the recording of their to-be-released DVD.

http://the-aristocrats-band.com/

They're fairly active on Facebook, too.

If you like metal, like I do and if you like Marco Minnemann, like I do then you will Love Necrophagist, like I do. Marco Minnemann's drumming is so amazing its almost inhuman how he plays a lot of his beats have odd time signatures but he makes it sound like a 10 year old can do it.AMAZING. So basically start listening to Necrophagist.

Ha, I don't listen to them but I stumbled on a video of Marco playing with them on YouTube and it cracked me up. Not only cos he's such a quirky/funny guy and the music is so dark but because he does it so well. I have his extreme drumming DVD, he's freakishly energetic, loud, powerful. Like the energizer bunny! It's a bit much for me after a while but I have alot of respect for him and I learned lots of cool ideas from him.

I've heard his coordination book is really good too, I may check it out one day.

If you love Marco, get "The Aristocrats" CD. They do a killer semi-jazz-fusion with a LOT of rock influence. They are just brutally good players that pull it all off perfectly live, too. I got to watch them from just a few feet away here in Indianapolis this year and was blown away. I just wish I could have gone to California for the recording of their to-be-released DVD.

Yes, a great album indeed!

I was also happy to see him during the Dream Theater audition - a close second to Mike Mangini. I mean, he really blew their socks off.

-sheldon

Marco Minnemann sounds a lot like Jens Hannemann, eh? :) It's probably a composite of several of the "Super Euro-Drummer" types who have released DVDs of their mind-bending chops and time signatures, but the similarity in name is unmistakable.

great album. the chops actually have a sense of humor as well..

great album. the chops actually have a sense of humor as well..

I must concur with that statement.

And it's a very rare thing, too. The only other album I can think of that accomplishes this is Jon Finn's first CD "Don't Look So Serious".

Marco Minnemann sounds a lot like Jens Hannemann, eh? :) It's probably a composite of several of the "Super Euro-Drummer" types who have released DVDs of their mind-bending chops and time signatures, but the similarity in name is unmistakable.
As for name similarity - here's another one - Hannes Grossmann (extreme drummer) ;-)

Anyone laid an ear on Marco on Steven Wilson's "The Raven That Refused To Sing(and other stories)"

Some great work.

I know this is a bold remark But Minnemann has brought somthing to the drumming community that noone else has. Incredible Innovation!!!! This guy is simply amazing
Actualy i lied in the Agren Thread I Think Minnemann may also be another fav !! Dang it too many Incredible drummers lol

Oh so there IS another Agren thread. Oops. Anyway, Marco was my favorite drummer to touch metal (excluding Coluita and Bozzio who IMO have insignificant metal output) before discovering Agren so I guess we are opposites in the regard. Agren is far more innovative though, Batterie / Batteria deluxe is unlike anything I've ever heard before and so is Agren's play-around soloing style. I can't post lengths easily ATM but if you're curious search "Devin Agren Deluxe" or something, that video made all the Devin/Zappa comparisons completely justifiable to me... two eccentric geniuses.

hey special...

Is that really a response to a post from 2005?

Anyone laid an ear on Marco on Steven Wilson's "The Raven That Refused To Sing(and other stories)"

Some great work.

Awesome album. New prog-rock classic. And Marco's playing is out of this world at times. Recommended listening for sure.

That first song was excellent for something that was written that night, astounding even. Marco has truly conquered the drums. From what I understand he could be a great prog metal guitarist if he wanted to as well.

Awesome album. New prog-rock classic. And Marco's playing is out of this world at times. Recommended listening for sure.

And they kick it up a few notches live… Its mindblowing. I had the pleasure of meeting Marco on all SW gigs I went to this year and talk with him. He;s a very friendly guy, very cheerful and greatful. It is actually what makes him stand out and why I would hire him to do any gig, even if its just way below his capabilities: he brings a lot of fun to the bandstand, a lot of positive energy that really kicks up the music and interplay between bandmembers. That is something special that not every musician can do, no matter how good they are.

He has another project out now too with Jordan Rudess and Tony Levin. He plays guitar on the album as well as drums.

Back